Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Next Album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
stig Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 04 2000, 12:36

I think at 16, I may be one of the Youngest Oldfield Obsessives - yet I am definetely a fan. Mike is my Musical God, and I cannot describe sometimes how good he is.
Anyway - as with most of you, I am not a great fan of The Millenium Bell, and thought
Guitars was Pretty Average - As He has Officially announced another Record, I thought I might throw a few suggestions as
what I would like to hear.
1. THEME : AMAROK II
We all want it. You know we do.
I played Amarok to my best friend, and
every time it said 'Happy?' he responded
with extremely. And Im not talking about
a Reprise - like that whole Man in the rain/Moonlight Shadow thing, I mean a new,
guitar filled, lengthy, one track piece.
2. THEME : TAURUS 4
My Favourite MO album during the 'commercial' period is Five Miles Out,
and Taurus 2 is just Amazing. I'd really
like to see that style of album again, with
a few commercial songs and One lengthy Taurus Track.
3. TB3 STYLE
I loved TB3. Not right away, It took time,
but now I absolutely love it, and although i will get cursed for this, I wouldn't mind some collaborations with Modern Artists, for example, Massive Attack. They love MO.. and I think a track or two with them would be a great change.
4. SOMETHING COMPLETELY NEW
Seen as the Music Industry Criticizes Mike
for looking back to past ideas, I would love to hear a completely new concept, as long as It keeps the classic style that Mike has always had.

Just a few Ideas I wanted to share, but
Lets all hope that The Next Album is Mike
Expressing Himself - and not writing something just so it will sell.
Hell If he re recorded Amarok, and released
it now - every fan would buy it!
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 04 2000, 22:57

Well, mike certainly wont be releasing any more albumns with the TB theme as he actually mentioned in the interview you can download in MP3 format off the tubular.net main site, i think that theme is dead and buried now, and must admit, i groaned a little when i heard the title of his next albumn.

I dont think he should pick up on any of his older themes personally unless he can really add something spectacular to it. I for one would not like to see Mike shove out another albumn just yet, and to be honest, wont be surprised if we dont hear from him for a year or so while he is storing up new experiences and jotting down little melodies that come in to his head when a certain event may trigger it.

I for one would like to see him exploring more avenues of style with his music, but on the big single themed style pieces (such as amorak, ommadawn, and the tubular bells series) never loose the big finale's he has always done so well in the past.
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2000, 14:21

Hi Stig! smile

First of all, your not the youngest.
I liked Mike Oldfield at the age of 12! smile
Now I am 15.

Second, you right that Mike has to do some
Taurus stuff... I like Taurus 2 also very
much!!!!! smile

Blue Dolphin

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2000, 17:24

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I have yet to find a bad album of his. I've found a couple mediocre ones, but no bad ones.

I'm a big fan of The Millennium Bell(9.5 out of 10 -it really needed a few extra minutes on The Doge's Palace and Mastermind). Tubular Bells has done nothing but improve since the origional. All his older albums are great, too.

I would like to see more pieces like Five Miles Out, Amarok, Dicovery, Crises and the like. But I absolutely love the music he's putting out now.........completely. I wouldn't object to another Tubular Bells incarnation(I know he can make it sound good), or TMB2 or even this virtual reality project.

BTW--I'm 16 as of right now.
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2000, 08:04

Hello Everybody !
First of all, i'll ask you to forgive my bad english, I'm french so...

To answer the question, we have to see many things. Mike has explored so many style of music, that is very difficult for him to find some new ones.
Actually, here are some styles of his tracks :
_ Alternative Rock (Tubular Bells)
_ Symphony ( The Orchestral tubular Bells, Mont St-Michel...)
_ Commercial (Five Miles Out, Discovery, Earth Moving...)
_ Instrumental (Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, ...)
_ Folklore (Portsmouth, Argiers,...)
_ Soundtracks (Killing Fields)
_ Ethnic ( The wind chimes part 2)
_ 'Spanish Style' (Amarok)
_ Metal (Listen all Mike's riffs especially Heaven's Open)
_ New Age (TSODE)
_ Punk (Punkadiddle)
_ Reggae (Gimme back)
_ Rap (Music from the Balcony with its 'Yo !' all over)
_ Celtic (Voyager)
_ Blues (Guitars)
_ Techno ( TMB, TB3)

Well, what does remain to Mike ?
Salsa, Macarena (!?), Soul, Funk, RnB
Hey ! It might be possible : An all album with black music. It can be something...

As a conclusion, let him find his new way. It will be great however !

[This message has been edited by Vinz (edited 02-10-2000).]

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 27 2000, 20:53

I liked MO from the age of about 3...didn't become a proper fan until I was about 10 though...

I find Mike's work fascinating...with a bit of listening, you can tell all sorts of things about him. To be honest, I think Mike should definately just go his own way (like he usually does) and we'll see what comes out. It could be very interesting to see him do an entirely acoustic album (sort of 'unplugged' but not quite), though...Amarok got very close to this, though. He's obviously enjoying producing electronic music though (although as a theremin player, I think Mike should try playing some theremin on one of his albums - I have a feeling he'd really enjoy it...).
If he chose to do something completely new, that could be very interesting - I'm sure he can afford to take some time to create something truly different, if not groundbreaking.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 28 2000, 14:42

Yes, I agree with you, Korgscrew.
Maybe some people don't know what a theremin is: it can be heard on "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys. The high-pitched portamento sound.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 28 2000, 21:49

for all you mike oldfield fans out there:
i call myself dr. strange because i always thought i was -- until the time i heard "tubular bells." then came "hergest ridge" and "ommadawn." then i heard jade warrior and roger powell, and thought, "maybe oldfield influenced THEM, not the other way around." then i heard larry fast/synergy for the first time and realized oldfield was just the pioneer, not wendy/walter carlos, or powell, or jade warrior, or fast. i grew up and last track of oldfield for a few years -- then rediscovered him thru the internet and a co-worker. his work helped me get thru the loss of my mother just 11 days ago. and i am here to tell you, it's soothing to sit down with an old friend. peace!
dr. strange, orangeburg, s.c.
Blackthornes Offline

Posted: May 23 2000, 05:35

Since I´m a Goth, I´d like to hear Mike doing some darkwave stuff...that must be best of both worlds...
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 03 2000, 21:36

I have been a Mike Oldfield fan since I was inside my mother's womb. And then since the day I was born when they were playing them in my mom's hospital room.
stig Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2000, 19:19

Well the thing is, My parents HATE Mike Oldfield - and i discovered him for myself at the age of about 8 or 9 (Tubular Bells 2 period), and i am an obsessive fan ever since. But i feel i am sidetracking a bit so - I think after Sonic VR, if a new album does materialise, then i would like to see TAURUS 4 ON IT.

TAURUS 4.

Thank you for your Time.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2000, 03:47

Some things I would like to see from Mikey Boy in the future:
- MORE SONGS: Unlike most MO fans on the net I liked "Islands" and "Earth Moving", and I would like to see MO flex those songwriting muscles again, and if his songs on "Tubular Bells III" and "The Millennium Bell" are anything to go by, MO would still have what it takes to do a song album.
- SOUNDTRACKS: Listening to "Tubular X" has reminded me how suited Mikey really is to this sort of thing, and I can imagine Mikey doing a really great soundtrack to a sci-fi movie.
- INCANTATIONS 2: If he really HAS to sequelize any more of his albums this would be my choice

Things I do not want to see:

RAP: Mike would be going way over his head with "an album of all black music". And for your information "Music From The Balcony" is not rap.

MORE TUBULAR BELLS ALBUMS: I think Tubular Bells 3 took it about as far as it could go, Mike would be pushing his luck with a fourth I think.

But like someone else said, it's not up to us really, is it?
Originally posted by stig:
Well the thing is, My parents HATE Mike Oldfield - and i discovered him for myself at the age of about 8 or 9 (Tubular Bells 2 period), and i am an obsessive fan ever since. But i feel i am sidetracking a bit so - I think after Sonic VR, if a new album does materialise, then i would like to see TAURUS 4 ON IT.

TAURUS 4.

Thank you for your Time.

Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2000, 05:40

Hi Bennyboy
I didn't write that 'Music of the Balcony' was rap ! Of course, it's not...
I only wrote that, with its 'yo !' (as rappers say) all over the piece, it's referring to rap, that's all.
I hope that it's clear now...

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 07:58

I think it might be extremely interesting if Mike performed the 'Concierto de Aranjuez' by Joaquín Rodrigo, preferably with David Bedford as conductor. It's well known to be a favourite of his, and I think he might have just the right feeling for it.
In reply to Blackthornes (Mike/Goth combination): You should listen to The Killing Fields sountrack, especially to 'Evacuation', I think this might get the goths dancing all right.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2000, 19:08

When people talk about no more TB albums, do you mean no more albums with bells in, or no more albums called Tubular Bells Whatever, and perhaps no more reprise of the opening theme. I am in the latter category myself, as I feel that perhaps the actual bells themselves could be used in the future, but I am thinking that perhaps Mike Oldfield is running out of ideas for album names- TBIII, Guitars, Millennium Bell.

A return to the Five Miles Out style would be OK, as that album, along with Ommadawn, is probably the best album Mike has done, especially with Taurus II, Orabidoo and the title track. I don't mean a rehash of the themes, but a long instrumental, a few songs and maybe some shorter instrumentals would be alright.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2000, 08:05

Of course, why should he stop using the tubular bells as an instrument? After all, he's the all time master of the TB, isn't he? (someone said so in the 'symptoms of a MO fanatic' topic, if I remember correctly)
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2000, 10:48

Yep, thats right! I have no problem with him using the Tubular Bells as an instrument!

When I said "no more TB albums" I meant no more based on the TB concept. This is not cause I hate TB3, its in my top five of Oldfield albums, I just think its better to go out on a high note than milk the concept to death.

Profile PM 
asvald Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2001, 06:51

Well, I already talked about that in another board.
I would love a lot Mike pick up some accoustic instruments, read again The Lord of the Rings, and then give us a concept album about it...

Something very different from his past work, combining his ability to create unique, powerful images and feelings in us, and really old fashioned sounds...
He could have done this for the wonderful movie Tolkien's fans are waiting for, next winter... too bad he's not in that project =(

About his exploring so many type of music, Vinz, I roughly agree, but I consider his link with Celtic a lot deeper than just Voyager (though I understand you were looking for an example). I find Celtic roots in the very essence of his unique style and most of (all?) his composition. Rythms, evolutions of so-called repetitive patterns and such...
Our musical tastes just wouldn't be the same if Mike wasn't born in Scotland. =)

Sorry for the digression ;-)

May the Bell be with you...
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2001, 07:03

I thought Mike was born in Reading (which, unless the borders have been changed drastically, isn't part of Scotland). Although there are some Celtic roots in his family (there's a topic in Q&A about this).

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
18 replies since Jan. 04 2000, 12:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net