Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Next Album..., What will it be?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 10:57

History shows that Mike usually made albums that were quite different to the one before. Now we have two chill-out records in the last 4 years... What do you think will the next album sound like? More ambient/electronic music, or an acoustic album? Or...
I have no idea! What do you think?

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 11:09

Bring back animal sound effects!! I loved the monkey noises in Music from the balcony.  :D

I made a prediction somewhere else, that his LAST album in the contract deal will be acoustic, but his next? I think perhaps something like Platinum would be great, I just can't get enough of that Jazzy, groovy tune  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 11:29

Yes, an album with one long instrumental and some songs would be very welcome! If it's in the style of Platinum then it would be really good :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 11:32

If You look at Robert Miles 3rd Album  ORGANIK  its
nothing like the 1st 2   proving you can move around
in Electro Music creating even Ethnic Type Records !!
Cannt see any way M O will step back... He will be
looking for interesting and hopefully groundbreaking
new ways of presenting Synth Music....  Maybe a
Electro OMMADAWN type CD which will not sound
like Amarok but more "Organik" .... Or maybe he will
really get Lazy and do a double Album of Classic
Rock Covers !! come to think of it that could be rather good  lol :D
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 13:03

i think it's time for tubular bells 4, 5 and 6. 1 bells for virgin, 2 bells for warner, so it's clear that 3 bells will befor mercury.  :zzz:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 14:01

Yeah. It's such a shame that he's already said he's not gonna do any more TB. Although, I suppose he has to follow his muse - if he gets the urge to do something long and (and I quote the great man himself: "70's",) then he will, but if not...

I've also seen it said elsewhere here that Mike has simply grown out of that kind of composition, and I think I can see that point. TB III, whilst similar in construct to I and II, uses completely different music to communicate the same point (well, the point that side one makes on the first two anyways)

And then we have Tr3s Lunas, which has a unified theme but all the tracks are very individual - and now Light + Shade - which, to be honest, I'm struggling to consider as anything other than an eclectic mix of music. It's almost as if he has bottled up ideas of musical direction (I.e. which direction to go in next) and he has released them in this album.

If that's true, I suppose the next could be more homogenous mike stuff, which, to be frank, I would be glad of.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 05:34

I should be VERY happy to see Mike work on a "bridge building" projekt between rock and classic. Guitars, strings and so on. Stuff like Mont St. Michel is absolutely gorgeous I think - I´d love to hear more!!!
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 09:30

What?  We're already talking about his next album?  I'm still waiting to receive my copy of Light and Shade!!

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 10:16

Quote (Legend @ Oct. 10 2005, 05:34)
I should be VERY happy to see Mike work on a "bridge building" projekt between rock and classic. Guitars, strings and so on. Stuff like Mont St. Michel is absolutely gorgeous I think - I´d love to hear more!!!

I'd like to see him pull a Kieth Emerson and do a full-blown symphony.

More than that, I want to see him produce! Whatever the next album is, let's see it no later than fall of 2006. None of this "wait a few years between albums". I'm sure we can all agree on this.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 10:54

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Oct. 10 2005, 09:30)
What?  We're already talking about his next album?  I'm still waiting to receive my copy of Light and Shade!!

:p  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 11:12

Poor Bill ;)
As for the next one, he should never do a sequel again. Tubular Bells 3 was still good fun, then came Millennium Bell, The Best of TB and TB2003 and that ruined the idea, I feel... Gone too far. But hey, Tubular Sells ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 12:24

I read somewhere in an interview that Mike doesn't know if he will be able to compose something complex in the future. He stated that L+S was originally conceived as a complex piece but he didn't have fun to do it and therefore switched to the chillout style. From his point of view it wasn't the right time to do a complex one.

I'm sure he knows that his die-hard fans want him to produce something more complex (he also said this in an interview). And I'm glad that he actually tries to do it but he shouldn't urge himself. There is something sleeping within his brain which will someday emerge to the surface.

I would really like him to mix classical, acoustic and electronic music into a concept album based on a book (similar to TSODE). TSODE has a fantastic visual quality.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 12:32

Symphony No 1 by Mike Oldfield.

Or a Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra.

That would be a really exciting prospect.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 13:00

Agreed. I'm longing for something like Concierto de Aranjuez (sp?) -- orchestra and guitar.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 13:49

Well, there is The Orchestral Tubular Bells album, which is orchestra and guitar.
(shame about the soundquality, btw).

--------------
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 13:53

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Oct. 10 2005, 13:49)
Well, there is The Orchestral Tubular Bells album, which is orchestra and guitar.
(shame about the soundquality, btw).

I think there is a huge difference between taking what was to all intents and purposes, a work largely for rock instruments and then doing an orchestral arrangement and writing a new piece of work from scratch, specifically with an orchestra in mind. I would like to see him do the latter.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 14:46

...is going to be what is on Mike's mind for it :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Woodlander Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 14:59

An album where he makes his own interpretations of different classical themes. I received L & S the other day and I find Lakme absolutely wonderful. So, I would love to see a full album like that.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 15:07

"Lakme" is one I've never heard of or heard before. Unless I had read the info here, I would have kept assuming it was one of his original compositions.

I'll also venture to say that it is the most "QE2"-like thing he has done since "QE2", due to its exhuberant sound.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 15:11

Quote (Woodlander @ Oct. 10 2005, 19:59)
An album where he makes his own interpretations of different classical themes. I received L & S the other day and I find Lakme absolutely wonderful. So, I would love to see a full album like that.

Exactly! Maybe not a whole album, but Lakme, In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth etc were great! And he always makes them upbeat/more upbeat than the original  :D

More MO bonus tracks from now on please  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
19 replies since Oct. 09 2005, 10:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net