Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The new tubular bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 09:09

Hi
what do you all think, is the remake of TB going to be as big a succes like 30 years ago.
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 11:15

Nope...

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 14:20

NOPE also!
Things have changed a lot in these 30 years.....

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 14:43

I'm not sure, i mean look at TBII got to number 1 in the album charts, and TBIII got to number 4, the remake may have an impact on todays youth but if not i think a lot of people who were around at the time of the first release will be interested, at the live venue's i have been to there were a surprising amount of younger fans, i'm only 27, but some of these people were a lot younger so i think that the release will have a big impact if not the music then the cover will sell the album, after all you can't really mistake it can you! lol  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 28 2003, 17:05

I'd imagine the impact would be similar to Tubular Bells II if things are promoted in the right way, with it joining the likes of The Best Of Tubular Bells and The Millennium Bell if promotion's less enthusiastic. It has a good chance of reaching number 1 in Spain.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2003, 10:28

well it's gonna reach nr. 1 in my own chart :)))))) I don't care about others I am looking forward to another nice musical experience

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: April 06 2003, 12:57

I'm not sure how sucessful it will be.

I think that it will be popular with those who have bought any of the previous Tubular Bells.

As for the younger audience - I just turned 21, and I bought my first Oldfield CD (Tubular Bells, of course) when I was 8 years old after a relative played me his copy!
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 06 2003, 15:17

if warner would put big effort for promoting that record..never know..could be as big as 30 years ago..or even bigger

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 06 2003, 16:58

It would be nice for Mike to finally receive better commercial and artistic acknowledgement with this new album, but somehow I fear the press again jumping on his back slating him for doing nothing but Tubular Bells albums, and simultaneously ignoring all of his other great albums. It won't sell 17.5 million copies, that was a cultural phenomenon. But I agree that with adequate promotion from Warner - and hey, how about a single edit? - then it could certainly do a Tubular Bells II and sell in the region of 3-3.5 million copies.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Sgitheanach Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 06:08

It would be nice for Mike to finally receive better commercial and artistic acknowledgement with this new album

But why?

Why does he deserve better commercial and artistic acknowledgement simply for being commercially and artistically lazy and re-recording something from 30 years ago?

At least TB2 was an entirely new composition. The whole point of TB 2003 is that it's meant to be near-enough a note-for-note reconstruction of the original. I'm sure that the more obsessive Oldfield anoraks will derive an almost sexual thrill from comparing the two versions, but who else cares?
Profile PM 
Tellur Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 13:40

It's gonna hit number 1 in Poland for sure. I guess we like Mike for his Shadow on the Wall.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 14:32

well if we are fans, do we have to care if new TB will top the charts?

I personally don't really think so..

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 15:28

Quote (BOOsTER @ April 20 2003, 20:32)
well if we are fans, do we have to care if new TB will top the charts?

I personally don't really think so..

sure a real "fan" has to.
a real "fan" will buy at least 10 copies of it to make it reach the top-whatever for 1 week/day.....

:laugh:

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 15:44

I don't know, BOOsTER.
Being a fan means to be happy for our idol's success. And I think that Mike wishes his albums were successful.

Back to Tobernyj's question: I'm afraid it won't be. My has released so many really good and completely new albums which weren't as succesful as TB, although they deserved it. I think it is not possible.
But I keep on hoping.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 21:44

As much as i would LOVE to see this album be on the number one charts in any place (particularly USA of course), but i can guaruntee it won't be. SUre it might do somewhat well, get a few mil copies , maybe be number one for like a week or so, but then it'll fade out and off the charts for good. It sounds kinda crappy, but that's what is going to happen.

TOday's music isn't anything like Tubular Bells. Tracks are only 5 minutes long, max. Pop and lyrics are hot on the charts. Metal and Rock are also up there. but Tubular Bells isn't really any of those! not really... i mean, it has some pop and some hard core rockin' in it, and i'm a huge fan (i'm not trying to diss this album). But it can't possibly compete with what everyone is listening to today.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 21 2003, 05:22

Quote (Tieò_mesaèného_svitu @ April 20 2003, 15:44)
I don't know, BOOsTER.
Being a fan means to be happy for our idol's success. And I think that Mike wishes his albums were successful.

Well I wish Mike all the success :) but it doesn't really matter to me :) for me Mike's music will be always great... that's what I mean :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 04:12

Sure I would like to see Mike back in charts.
But this is not a new album. I more or less consider it as a reprint of the original one. How often do you see a reprint in the charts?
Profile PM WEB 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 06:35

If it's advertised all over TV I suspect the album will sell quickly in large numbers to all those who enjoyed it first time around.

Theres a big core of fans waiting to buy it on release. But its real selling power will come from those who bought the original in the 70's and decide to revisit their youth. If the advertising gets them to the shops it could sell a huge number of copies.

But given the low key marketing on his last few albums is it likely? i keep hoping to see/hear adverts on TV but nothing yet.... come on Warners...
Profile PM 
17 replies since Mar. 28 2003, 09:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net