Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The New Mike Oldfiled, When the Time Comes...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
PerfectStranger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2007, 19:15

...when Mike decides to call it a day...

Who do you see that can take on where Mike left?

I personally can't imagine it...

--------------
...laughing at the world till the barman wipes away the warm wet circles...
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 10 2007, 20:17

It is just him, and his music will live forever...
many good musicans but no one is close to his magnifican personal music identy. Even hes trance songs has hes touch.. it is strange, but you can hear it is MO.

kay :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 10 2007, 20:57

I half agree with Tubularman.

Nobody can pick up where Mike finishes, not because they're not as good, but because they're NOT MIKE.

Mike himself has said he wishes people would stop following each other like sheep.  Those who attempt to follow Mike's example and write Oldfield-style music are taking influences a bit too literally.

Musicians can be shaped and influenced by a lot of other music, and I think this allows a wonderful evolution of different musical genres.  However, I think people need to find their own style.  They will last longer and earn respect for doing so.

As I said though, it is not because nobody is as good as Mike is.  Different people like different music.  Most people like several different musicians, instead of limiting themselves to just one.  Could you say that Mike Oldfield is better than the Beatles, or Elton John, or Elvis Presley?  Better than Beethoven and Mozart?  Maybe you could... but I think there's a place for all of them, plus many more.

If more people tried to find their own style instead of directly copying someone else's, I think we'd have a much more diverse range of music than we do now.  I'm sure there's plenty of diversity, but there's an awful lot of copying.  A shame really.

Anyway, just some thoughts  ;)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 10 2007, 21:17

Vangelis is Vangelis
MO is MO
Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd
ect ect ect...

But there is alot of other good music out there too, so we will never need a new Mike either.
Tubular Bells and Ommadawn is music that always will be in my heart and i could not really need more..
So if Mike stop played, ok..  (of course it is sad, but my cd's would never stop ;) )

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
PerfectStranger Offline

Posted: May 11 2007, 05:42

Quote (Tubularman @ May 11 2007, 02:17)
Vangelis is Vangelis
MO is MO
Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd
ect ect ect...

But there is alot of other good music out there too, so we will never need a new Mike either.
Tubular Bells and Ommadawn is music that always will be in my heart and i could not really need more..
So if Mike stop played, ok..  (of course it is sad, but my cd's would never stop ;) )

Good that you should mention Floyd...
I think that they should really bury the hatch and get together and make some new music... even if they decide not to tour anyome - that would be understandable.

I mean, I love Floyd but you can only listen so many times to the same albums before you came to know The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, Animals, etc by heart and from back to front!

One day, one of them will die and then there's no more, that's it! People can argue that one of them has already died anyway so it's no more original Floyd anymore, but then it's not since the early 70's... They stopped being PF when Waters left, IMHO.

I just don't see anyone coming up and take up where the floyd left...

And the same applies to Mike (which prompted me to open this topic)...

I'm not saying someone should mimick Mike's playing to the micron and be a Clone... because they would never be inside Mike's mind anyway (and to me, this is where Mike's strengths are: in his imagination).

I just can figure it without new music from MO... but this will eventually be the case one day...

Thanks for reading :)

--------------
...laughing at the world till the barman wipes away the warm wet circles...
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 11 2007, 15:15

Quote (Moz @ May 10 2007, 20:57)
As I said though, it is not because nobody is as good as Mike is.  

...although, let's admit it, they're not!

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: May 11 2007, 18:33

I personally think that every artist has an individuality which no-one else can replace. This is probably why I've never been a fan of Covers, because some Cover Tracks can be truly awful (there are exceptions, some of the Covers I've found here at tubular.net have ben very enjoyable). When it comes to the greats such as Freddie Mercury, John Lennon or Syd Barrett to name just a few, no-one can replace them, because they are simply incomparable.

Mike Oldfield is definitely one of the most flexible artists I've heard, and he's never been afraid to try something different, and I admire him for this. He has also been mostly successful in his experimentations, and now he's going into Orchestral music, because it is one of the types of music he's never really tried before. I'm looking forward to it, because it will be something different. Sometimes, it doesn't really work (some tracks on Light + Shade and Earth Moving seem to garner a lot of negative feedback from what I've seen), but at least he's given it a try.

I can't think of any other artist who has been quite as flexible and/or daring with his music, except for The Beatles (see Sgt. Pepper and The White Album) and Pink Floyd (see Dark Side of the Moon).

Mike Oldfield is one of the hugely under-rated greats of our time, and he, like many other artists, can't be replaced by anyone.

Each to his own.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 20 2007, 19:08

Fortunately there are such great artists as Shaped Signs and Engel who create music in similar spirit and quality as Mike's.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since May 10 2007, 19:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net