Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The mission begins..., Step 1: Visit amazon.co.uk< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gregrobson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2002, 04:25

Well, I've got 80% of the MP3's but 128kbps doesn't do justice to the music. So I've set myself a challenge...

To get the entire back catalogue of albums (not including every remastered version), in one year.

It was hard to pick the first selection, what with 95% of his stuff getting 5 stars and everyone calling each one their favourite album. But here's what I've got

Tubular Bells II
Voyager
Amarok
The Songs of Distant Earth
Tubular Bells I (Remastered) (still not in stock - come on Amazon)

The CD's certainly help show up the quieter sounds on the tracks, and definitely do more justice to the music :)
Profile PM 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2002, 13:44

Oh, goodo!  :)
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2002, 10:16

'gregrobson' are the remastered cds you have recorded using the HDCD format cos if they are you will need to play them on a compatable cd player. if you  play these on a normal player you shouldn't hear any difference to the original or atleast i can't and i've got all the remastered cds from virgin and all the originals to. i have tried them on a normal player and then on my cd player with HDCD on and there really is a difference.
if you want the remastered cds try TESCO.COM they have them all and i think the're actually a bit cheaper and you get them within 3 working days........saves waiting. you have made some good choices with what you have got, but you should get OMMADAWN next one of his best  :D  :D  ;)
Profile PM 
gregrobson Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2002, 13:06

The CD I ordered is the remastered version of the original tubular bells. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....5673249

It isn't the SACD (Super Audio CD) format, as I don't have a CD player for them. Also their aren't that many titles available for SACD yet.

However....
after Christmas I want to get some hi-fi separates with a SACD player as the reviews of TB1 in SACD quality are very good.
You can read them here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....5673249
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2002, 17:08

no mate i said 'HDCD'(High Definition Compatible Digital). all Mikes remastered cds are in this format, not SACD  ;)
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 04:21

Hi,

The only SACD is the rematered edition of TB in SACD done in 2001, which is even a better experience than HDCD if you have the proper (and expensive) hardware. Kind of spacial sound (it is actually the historical quad-mix). And the reviews are terrific for that one.

There is some talking about this in the MO FAQ in the 2.6 and 3.3 chapters.

But HDCD (for all the recent remasters) and SACD hardware are two different things. And the HDCD are anyway interesting - especially for the older albums - even on a standard "non HDCD" device cause there ARE remasters, and many discussions around that point (here in the forums and other places) agreed on this.

Jerome

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 05:44

except TB!, quite right Jerome C ;) . personally i couldn't hear any difference when  i played them on a none HDCD system, but on a HDCD system the difference is most certainly noticable, the sound  is absolutley fantastic, much clearer and more precise :O
Profile PM 
6 replies since Oct. 23 2002, 04:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net