Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Millennium, The year change was actually 2000/2001< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ghostmojo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2009, 18:45

I don't know if this has been mentioned before (and I haven't yet scrolled back through all these TMB pages)? And forgive me for being an anorak about this; but the Millennium represented the end of one thousand year cycle and the beginning of another.

In simple mathematical terms, that means the first (accepting the Christian calendar+ of course) ran between BC-0-AD and the end of 1000 AD. It follows the next (the one we are deaing with here) must have run between 1001 AD to 2000 AD inclusive - and not 1999!!!

For some strange reason most of the planet had become obsessed with this change over from 1999 to 2000 and so midnight December 31st 1999 became 'the big night - big moment'. Nobody has ever explained to me why this happened*. It seems perfectly clear to me that several hundred million people had either taken leave of their senses or quite simply just couldn't count!!!

Anyway I celebrated it a year later at the correct moment...

[+ Of course it is true the calendar has been tinkered with many many times in the last 1000 years - so who knows when the big 'M' really was?]

[* I can see the visual change from all the 9's to all the 0's is somehow noticeable (like watching the old car dashboard mile-o-meter figures going around) but so what?]

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 19:25

With all due respect, I had neither taken leave of my senses, nor was I incapable of counting.  I and several hundred million people simply weren't overly worried about it.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 19:50

Quote (Bassman @ April 09 2009, 19:25)
With all due respect, I had neither taken leave of my senses, nor was I incapable of counting.  I and several hundred million people simply weren't overly worried about it.

Yes, I have of course heard that response - but then I wondered - if something like this is really worth celebrating (like people flying to Tahiti and stuff to be at somewhere special when IT happened) in such a big way - shouldn't we at least get the date right? Or not bother at all?...

It must have been the influence of that old Prince song - "tonight we're gonna party likes it's 1999!"

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 21:23

What made it a paranoid day was the fact that so many thought computers, airplanes in flight, etc.....would crash since the date format(s) had to suddenly change from one number system to the other. Funny thing is on Y2K nothing happened. I can't recall one plane crash, stranded ship, certainly those who stocked up on bottled water and ammo were looking silly. No stock market crash, nothing. I remember watching the first places to roll-over to 2000 on TV late at night. When I woke up in the morning I think Russia or Japan had just rolled over to 2000. I figured, no looting or pillaging, no locusts, go back to bed.....
    But I had a plan for the new century since I was a kid(I planned on having a synth(s) by then. I didn't have an Oberheim then but I did on Y2K and found the perfect blaring sound to "ring it in". A swelling, eerie and incredibly dynamic-ranged sound similar to what you hear on Steely Dan's "Aja" song, just before the drums get crazy near the end. But bassier, lusher, slower to decay. I guess I achieved my childhood fantasy thru 4 woofers, 2 midranges and 2 tweeters since everyone in the apt. complex came outside...."WTF?" It was a very good night. But I still wish it was 1973. The last whispered wish of age is to live it all again......
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 09 2009, 22:32

If you allow me to be pedantic -- I find it quite unexcusable for a musician, who supposedly DID his homework and his research like Mike Oldfield, to put out a "Millennium" album one year too early. But that doesn't mean that the turn into the year 2000 itself should not be a significant moment. After all, it IS a numerical rollover, and humans are conditioned to seeing and following patterns -- it's inherent to our nature. So I see no wrong with seeing the year 2000 as a brand new start for something fresh and exciting (which didn't happen anyway), and I see no wrong with celebrating it with an album. But that doesn't change the facts: the decade, the century AND the millennium started in 2001. Dammit.

By the way, a new decade is starting in less than 2 years. Cool, huh?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 00:04

It's cool if you enjoy getting older. Me? The honest truth is, I just want to be younger. I'm like Ponce De Leon(sp) always searching for the fountain of youth. About pattern recognition skills: MO broke all pattern recognition in 1973. Sure we were used to Cream "Spoonfull", Led Zep "Rock 'n Roll" or similar musical patterns. I think after might nigh on a year point five on this "webbie" as some call it, I hit on Mike's insight circa 1973. He broke the "familiar pattern" of Rock and Blues patterns and created one with no rules. Still based on 5ths which we all gravitate to....the early MO had no pattern similar to the pop/rock/blues works of the time. It was something to behold. And behold we do. And behold we will. I believe in breaking patterns hence I like MO. A non-conformist with a cause huh? I liked it then, I like it now. The unfortunate truth now, is that all that is pop/rock music now is so pattern-recognizable, so predictable. No drama. No surprise. No suspense.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 01:54

:p who knows how many time zones exist within our known universe? the space time continuum is curved not linear, we could speed towards our next millenium, but somewhere the past may still be our future...fade to twilight zone music, deb
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 07:34

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 10 2009, 00:50)

It must have been the influence of that old Prince song - "tonight we're gonna party likes it's 1999!"

There wasn`t enough syllables in 2000 for it to fit correctly into Prince`s record,so he decided to change it.The rest of the world simply followed suit.Prince is the dimunitive high heeled moustachiod overlord of the cosmic universe apparently.

To be honest I`m not that keen on New Years Eve anyway.Any kind of "partying down" aspect always seems a little bit forced and fake to me somehow.In fact I could`nt even tell you where I was when the Millenium took place now that I think about it.You know as far as I`m concerned if Prince had sung the line "Tonight we`re gonna` party like we`re really happy about something and that we`ve chosen to celebrate this fact in a rather wild and exubriant manner"..Then yeah I might`ve taken to that song a whole lot more I guess.Way too many syllables in my version though.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 08:24

Quote (Scatterplot @ April 10 2009, 00:04)
Sure we were used to Cream "Spoonfull"

My other all time greatest influence. You can't get two different musical poles than Cream and Mike Oldfield - but I love them both.

I'm also pleased to read in his autobiography MO obviously liked messrs Clapton, Bruce & Baker too, and regretted not having seen them. Perhaps he did (like me) during the 2005 reunion period?

There are interesting connections between Jack Bruce (of whom I must be one of the UK's biggest fans) and Mike Oldfield. They are of course Simon Phillips and Maggie Reilly.

If you like either - check out S.P. with the JB band on both How's Tricks and Jet Set Jewel, and M.R. on Somethin' Els (or the "Willpower" anthology) singing on the beautiful "Ships In The Night" with E.C. also guesting on lead guitar. Fabulous :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
8 replies since April 09 2009, 18:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net