Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Millenium Bell and other stories< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tomx01@aol.com Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 01 1999, 13:59

The Millenium Bell, another diverse and beautiful album. I was a little sceptical at first given the inclusion of the word "bell" and the graphic on the front cover, but this work is very much it's own thing.

I have noticed some rather un favourable reviews for this album, which I can understand because it is very different. However another reason it is so different is that I beleive Mike composed it as a piece specifically to perform live.

There are of course many similarities to other albums, even a taste of incantations. I especially like the Songs Of Distant Earth esque reprise of many of the themes at the end.

My rating 9/10

Tom (Melrose)
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 01 1999, 15:49

I agree with tomxo1 entirely, the whole album is obviously designed to be performed live, its not supposed to be another MO album, its a adventure. Listen would everyone please stop criticizeing MO or he may just stop all togeather.
And why does everyone want him to get rid of those bells, there fantastic.
If you all just want to critisize albums go and do it somewhere else because MO music isnt about pleasing you its about him exploring new teritory musicly.

Keep it up Mike, Your doning better than ever.
How about Incantations 2,or Tubular Bells 4

;-)

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 03 1999, 04:28

It is very evident that TMB has been designed for live performance. Hasn´t anyone noticed the relevance of the final track? I think it works this way (and, of course, I may be wrong):
The sound is modern because we are in the present after the journey through time. But, at the moment it will be perfomed (I supose), it will be the last minutes of the millenium (well, I know it´s not the real ending, etc, but who cares now!). So, at this point, the song faces the home straight. It makes a summary of previous themes (of the history of the Christian Era), and the faces the lasts moments with the DP the, wich I think remids the feeling of the marching of time. Then, the new Year bells, syncronized with the tower clock wherever the concert is performed. And, after that, the celebration. DP theme turns into a cry of joy and hope (the theme continues, so as the time) that sends shivers down my spine. When I first listened to it, it was one of the most moving moments in the last months, and I think that listening it in New Year´Eve will be one of the most moving moments in my life.
Well, that´s what I hope. Anyone agrees?
Jorge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 17 1999, 04:07

Hello everyone, my English is not good, i'm sorry, I'll write in Spanish, I hope someone understand me.

TMB es un gran disco, diferente, pero con sentimiento (nostalgia, tristeza quizás), es un paso más en una carrera de 27 años con 20 discos originales y diferentes; y eso precisamente es el motivo que me hace esperar con impaciencia la salida de cada uno de los dicos de Oldfield, la sorpresa siempre es positiva, quizas no sea lo que espero, pero despues de varias escuchas su música comienza a atraparme otra vez tarde o temprano.

TMB, es un disco orquestal, Guitars es todo guitarras, TSODE sintetizadores, Ommadawn acústico, Voyager de inspiración celta, FMO rock ... eso es Mike Oldfield, variedad, música nueva, distinta, cuando no sea así podremos quejarnos, de momento (27 años)
todavía me sorprende.

[This message has been edited by Jorge (edited 12-17-1999).]
Profile PM 
3 replies since Dec. 01 1999, 13:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net