Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Mike Oldfield Experience< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 25 2000, 23:42

I just listened to Tubular Bells III...

...it has made me cry again!!!
This time it was 'Man In The Rain' - the track I'd least have expected to! But I listened to the lyrics for the first time...
...and then, 'Far Above The Clouds' did it again!!!

I LOVE this album! I ADORE it! It's so GREAT! So WONDERFUL! SO MIKE!!!

'Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect'.

It's a masterpiece. I love every single track on this album. It's all there. Mike in all his glory.

I am on the verge of writing a love letter to Mike.

If any one of you actually thinks Mike is dead, forget it. Mike is at his Mikest!

And guess what, today the first snow fell in Cologne!
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 01:38

And still some C.E.N's say Mike Oldfield is dead....

TBIII is the best album in a while by Mike, and that cannot be doubted, although there isn't really such a thing as a bad Mike Oldfield album.
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 09:16

I'm a huge fan of TBIII--the depth of sound, the mix of techno and straightforward MO, the guitars--but I have to say that I think "Man in the Rain" breaks the flow of the album. It's a good song, but it either should have come first--a pop song before the big TBIII--or at the end.

I want to burn a CD that nips the song out, punches the remainder of the album together, and tags the song at the end, just to see how it sounds.
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 11:13

Yes.This album make me real sad too , Archangel Foster.
But not accualy the song 'Man in The Rain' than 'Jewel in the Crown' and 'The Top of the Morning'. frown To me this is the sadest songs in Tubular Bells 3 for now.

The other one are just crazy,perfect,beautiful. eek wink biggrin
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 11:18

Pacha Daddy, I thought so, too - but now I can hear it fits in perfectly! Like a moment of relaxation before he gets on with 'the real thing'.
Gorjan, are you sure you understood what I meant correctly? I cried because this album is so majestically beautiful.
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 16:49

I understand you very well , Archangel Foster.

And for me TB3 is magnificant album full of feelings and spirits.

Gorjan
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2000, 12:32

This is (and has been ever since i heard it) my favorite album by MO (You're not alone Archangel Foster!!!).

Someone mentioned somewhere else that when you go to play the CD, just program it to skip over #7 (Man in the Rain) and it sounds just as awesome, so there's no need to burn a new one smile

The 'saddest' track most likely is "Jewel In the Crown", but it gets roaring back with "Outcast"!

The most powerful album that i've heard not just by MO, but by any artist! "Far Above The Clouds" still amazes me, even if i have heard it hundreds of times!

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2001, 02:01

Am I alone here?

I love "Man In The Rain"!!!!

I think it is a much better song than "Moonlight Shadow"!!!!

I think it is an integral part of the album, and I believe that the little kids speech ("...and the man in the rain picked up his back of secrets...") is beautiful, and it wouldn't have as much meaning if it weren't for the song.

Does ANYONE else think this?

Other than this I agree with your comments, I think it is one of Mike's greatest albums, and I believe it is the second best Bell album (TB1 being the best, of course). A fitting closure to a glorious saga innit?
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2001, 02:29

Of course you're not alone bennyboy!

All the tracks fit together, but Man in the Rain, Source of Secrets and Far Above the Clouds fit together best in that they tell the story. What people feel is that, because there is no song part in Tubular Bells 1 or 2, there shouldn't be one in 3. However, I think that Man in the Rain is a very good song, better than many of Mike's other efforts (although Five Miles Out is still the best of the lot), and that it fits in well with the rest of the album. Tubular Bells 3 seems to have less connected parts than the other two bells, for example Jewel in the Crown is not really connected to Outcast, but it seems stronger than Tubular Bells 2. Well, that's my 50 cents anyway.

-Tim-

Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2001, 08:02

Bennyboy, did you read what I've written? I perfectly agree with you (only I think Moonlight Shadow and Man In The Rain are equally good).
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2001, 13:45

You can't leave MITR out of TBIII. It's what makes the album a sort of concept idea album and tells the story of a man in the rain finding somewhere else to go. It also deals with the banishing of evil with the contrasting storm and pastoral beginning and ending.

For me it is the best song, but then I haven't yet got Islands or Earth Moving, and what's more I haven't listened to all of Discovery. I was too interested to here the absoloutely stunning instrumental 'The Lake' which I have heard about 8 times now
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2001, 23:22

2distorted is right, those are needed for the story aspect of this album. Is this really the only album that does have a storyline, or a "story behind the music"? I know a lot of albums by artists always have stories about -making- the album, but not really stories that -made- the album. Do any of MO's albums tell a story so dramatic and powerful as this one?

--------------
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2001, 04:30

Yes, I believe a number of Mikes albums tell a story.

"The Songs Of Distant Earth" and "The Millennium Bell" are probably the most obvious examples.

I also think "Five Miles Out" and "Incantations" with their themes of aeroplanes and the moon respectively, told a story of sorts and "Voyager" also had a unifying theme.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 19 2001, 03:14

I personally feel that "Man In The Rain" is at perfect place. It is after emotionally strong "The Inner Child", so it evens your mood and prepares for the album continuation.
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2001, 16:27

i think that when mike does these tubular bells albums he gets better on each time. TBI was good TBII better TBIII great and i hope there would be TBIV, if that day will come it will be his greatest album ever. i've dreamed of that...dreams come true?

sam the fan of the man

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2001, 00:00

While i know there are probably more than 50% of the fans out there that are against a TB4, i'm all for it as well theweightless. The TB albums are my favorite of all, and i do think that they get better as he progresses with them.

--------------
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2001, 01:30

Id just like to say that i agree with everybody that man in the rain fits in the album perfectly.

tb3 is my 3rd fav of mikes. first its TSODE then TB2 then TB3. My favorite of all of Mike's compositions and out of every artist is Only Time Will Tell and then its FATC. I LOOOVE the live encore version of FATC from HGP!!! everytihng just fits so awesome!!! I love playing along on my guitar with that! biggrin

truly FATC is the best on the album to me. then its Secrets. TSOS i like too but Secrets is more melodic and mellow then TSOS. TSOS is kind of more happy....kinda...yknow what i mean? wheras Secrets is completly mellow driven and you want it to keep going and i LOVE how it goes right into FATC like that!

anyway thats all i have to say smile

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2001, 01:31

what I LOVE too is Far Above the Clouds Dual Deep Guitar Mix that someone made....its longer and the guitars go perfectly together and its so awesome. TB3 definelty is one of his best albums.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 10 2002, 05:29

Yes Yes YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am listening to the Far Above the Clouds Reprise right now and I LOVE IT! Tubular Bells III has so many styles of music, and every track is good. Source of the Secrets is an excellent track, quite techno-ey but with really nice guitar. There is some very mellow stuff too, which is noce, then the rocky Outcast. Nice Flamenco in Serpent Dream (I love fast guitar playing ) then Inner Child, really emotional. Now im listening to Man in the Rain, and it is really good. So what if it's a reprise of Moonlight Shadow? I like them both, but I prefer the Man in the Rain guitar solo. I think that it is in ideal place to put it here. Top of the Morning is a really cool piano peice, but I think it could do with being a bit faster, more energetic. Moonwatch is really the calm before the storm, because Secrets and Far Above the Clouds are both awesome tracks. They are both really energetic, and the best ending to an album ever.

This is my favourite album, and probably will stay that way for a while. It rocks!!!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 10 2002, 14:51

just great...so many great tracks on this album. far above the clouds is so good...it's got good rhythm.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
23 replies since Dec. 25 2000, 23:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net