Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The loveliest chord sequences ever, ..and the most creative use of arpeggios< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CS2x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2002, 21:58

Who agrees that Incantations has the most lovely, original chord sequences in any popular record? And the way he uses bouncing arpeggios to create tunes is very clever too...

Is it me, or do all 4, or at least parts 1,2 and 4, have the same chord sequences, just done differently? Anyway, a great, if a little repetetive, album...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2002, 05:11

i agree that Incantations does get repetitive, expecially Parts I and II, but Parts III and IV are quite good, and contain some blistering guitar solos, as well as Ode to Cynthia, which I love.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2002, 03:15

If I rember correctly whole Incantations is based on one chord. I think Mike said someting about that in the Essential video.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 17 2002, 09:01

It might just be based on one chord, but it's a weird chord.

Something like... (each note is above the previous one) A E D G A D C G F C A# F, all at once in in arpeggiated sequence.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2002, 18:59

I would give INCANTATIONS the thumbs up as the best MO album.

It took mike two years to get this double album out to the public, but it was worth the wait.

Its ok for some of you guys who are young enough just to go out and collect all his early albums off the shelf, but some of us golden oldies had to wait and wait and wait till it was available.

Its not just the loveliest chord, its everything about the album thats makes one happy.

As quite a few of you have said there is bits where it is repetative, but through editing (sorry mike) a condensed version is now in my car CD changer and it does not come out for any reason.

INCANTATIONS must be available at a push of a button.

Cheers MO fan
:laugh:
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 05:51

Yes MO fan, this is a very strong album, perhaps the most demanding and original one. Clearly among his top 3!

I think Mike once said he doesn't like it? I wonder why! But then again Mike has this habit of saying quite a lot of remarkably odd things ...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 13:15

On the one chord thing...

Up a fifth, down a tone - do that four times (I think I remember that right) and you build up a chord like that at the beginning. Then, you can take the individual notes and build up a chord sequence with them, each note being used then as the root note of the chord...then you can repeat the up a fifth down a tone pattern, starting on each of those root notes...that's something like what goes on in Incantations.

Mike did say that all of it, save a few sections (I think it was some of part 4, and I think a piece of part 3) was complete rubbish. That was after he'd done exegesis, and I'd say he may have been rejecting what he'd created before that. He even said at one point that it was deliberately drawn out because he wanted to bore people - referring to concert audiences in particular (part of the exegesis philosophy, him being responsible for everything that happened to him - the belief that people reacted negatively to his music because he wanted them to).
Profile PM 
6 replies since July 29 2002, 21:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net