Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Leslie< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 08 2000, 16:54

This topic was initially called "Incantations ...Whining...". I suggest you first check that one out.
Rosko: I have no real *information* about the meaning of "taped motor drive amplifier organ chord". I can just say what I think it means.
"Motor drive amplifier", I think, refers to a device called a "Leslie".
This is an amp/speaker box which has two rotating horns (Like the beams of a lighthouse). The rotation can be switched on or off, but due to mass inertia the horns will take some time to speed up or slow down. So you get transition phases.
Some Hammond B3-players used that, like Jon Lord of Deep Purple.
"Taped" means, I think, that the sound was recorded thru a Leslie onto a tape loop.
Bu concerning the beginning of Incantations, I don't think the modulations stem from that. I still think they stem from the same waveform being pasted over itself many times, at different speeds.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 08 2000, 17:44

Like usual, I beg to differ wink

I just happen to have at least some idea of what this is. Mike says "We had a thing called a motor drive amplifier which was a way of changing tape speed - there was no such thing as pitch bend then. I wanted to make an organ chord rise in pitch. The only way we could do that was to make a tape loop of the organ chord, put it on a two-track through the voltage controller to make the tape loop change pitch. We had to record that to 16 track in real time. We did a lot of that kind of thing."

Does that go some way to answering the question?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: June 13 2000, 13:54

I always thought that this was the Organ hit sound in the famed opening section of TB Part One, but the tape motor speed control thing makes sense. I even think that I've found an occurance of it in use, around 4:14 of Part One (rising out of the opening section into the mandolin and guitar tune).

Didn't computer tape machines use a similar system? I think that it was called R.E.M or something. The computer could control when the tape machine started and stopped, and if you wired a variable resistor across it then you could change the tape speed.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: June 13 2000, 16:56

I think you're perfectly right, Korgscrew and Mat, and I was wrong. It's that tape device, and it's at 4:14. I was mislead by the word "amplifier". I have no idea about computer tape machines, however. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since May 08 2000, 16:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net