Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The last instrument Mike learned to play, Maybe it's really...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 08:14

In his recent webchat, Mike, when asked what was the last instrument that he learned to play, he answered 'Northumbrian Bagpipes'. While some readers (especially people on the Amarok and Hibe maling lists) have tended to doubt the seriousness of that answer [Mike was drunk, the chat was not entirely serious etc. :)], I think it is true. The last instrument credited to him which is different from guitars, keyboards/computers and percussion,  is really the Northumbrian Bagpipes, in QE2 (the song). All the instruments he is credited for having played after that do all belong to the categories of guitars, keyboards/computers and percussion, all things he could perfectly play before he played the Northumbrian Bagpipes.

What do you think about this?

PS: I'm listening to Amarok while I type this. The aeromodeller's kit is not a proper instrument, and anyway it is used as percussion during Amarok [at least I think so  ;) ].

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 14:37

The question was whether he'd learnt any new instruments recently - I'd not call 1980 recent, really, but maybe that is what he meant (either that or he's forgotten that he'd learnt them and played them on an album ;). I think he actually started learning them in the mid 70s - a TV interview done around the time of Ommadawn's release showed him playing them.

I don't think that Mike was drunk when he did the chat, though...
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2002, 18:45

It was me that asked Mike that - my question was whether he had learned any new instruments recently...

maybe he thinks that he's still learning and hasn't realised bagpipes really do sound that bad no matter how long you've been playing them!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Sep. 11 2002, 08:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net