Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The harp in ommadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2007, 12:26

Hi, I am moving through my new ommadawn analysis very well now, but am a little confused about the harp that is supposed to be used in part one. Does anyone know what kind of harp it is? I am guessing it is a celtic, or jews harp? Am I right in thinking it is used for the opening melody and the section around about 9 minutes in?

If anybody could confirm this then that would be great!

Cheers!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2007, 16:35

About the timing, yes, I can confirm. About the jew's harp, no - as far as I know the jew's harp is a one-note instrument with a single sheet metal 'string', which just goes 'boing, boing, boing, boing, boing'... not quite the sound heard in Ommadawn Part 1. :D So I guess it's either a Celtic harp or a classical harp [the huge one :)]. At the time Mike was complaining about being unable to perform Ommadawn live because the harp would take an impossibly long time to be properly mic'd up. So I guess it's a classical harp. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2007, 07:35

I was looking in the instrumets/performers section of ommadawn and can't find any reference to the harp, and if so, I'm guessing that mike did not play it but got somebody else to play it? I have a feeling it could be a celtic harp, which as far as I am aware is similar to a classical harp but is generally smaller?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2007, 08:24

I believe it's a Celtic harp - I recall Mike saying how difficult they were to mic up.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2008, 11:14

It's a celtic harp learned at night school.You can see a picture of it in the inside cover of FMO (assuming he only bought the one).I know this post was i while back but Mike mentions this in Changeling stressing that he made the part easy as harp was difficult to master.Also referring to Ugo saying about performing the peice live he does a fair impression on his SG playing the part on the Montreux DVD.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 18 2007, 12:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net