Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The guitar sound in the beginning of Ambient Guita, title says it all ;)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inspirement Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2010, 10:37

Anyone who knows what causes the distortion when he starts playing on the lower strings?

It can be heard at about 17:21 and 17:36 in part two of both the original and rremastered editions. (it is clearest in the original though) but not in the 2003 re-recordings.

My guess is that his guitar wasn't set up properly. Am i right?
Or is it because of some effect he used?

I'm asking this because i love that sound and would very much like to use it myself.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2010, 08:02

Hi Inspirement.  I know exactly what sound you mean.  Its an example of those "slightly distorted" clean guitar sounds that regular crop up in Mike Oldfield's work.  On the original Tubular Bells Ambient guitars Mike played his Fender Telecaster through a lot of compression which came from his "Glorfindal Box" and the compressor channel from the Manor's mixing console desk.  The slight distortion comes from the "Glorfindal Box" and an overloaded Mic input on the TEAC tape machine that the guitar signal went through.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
1 replies since Aug. 03 2010, 10:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net