Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The firt time I heard those trumpets...., What a funny little album!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 14:41

I really like Platinum.

I only discovered it a couple of years ago - it's probably Mike's most quirky and bizarre album - at least before the 1980s.

The first two tracks are superb, particularly the second, with that guitar sound in full flow.

Then there's the funky 'diddlydumdada' bit, which is really fun... but I'll never forget the first time I heard part 3... I laughed for about an hour!

Those trumpets... this has to be Mike's most uplifting track - it's just so full of life and attitude. it's certainly not a track that takes itself too seriously. I love it.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 18:13

Certainly! Maybe this was part of the exegis re-birth etc.

One of my favourite instrumentals (counting platinum as one part)

Part 3 WOW!!  :D

I like all of the tracks really, but not so much Woodhenge  :zzz:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 22:39

I don't listen to Platinum as much as I should because it is the beginning of the half songs, half instrumental 80's phase that is my least favourite, but as it was released in 1979, I certainly could try and change my way of thinking to the last of the great 70's albums. And it only has one song on it too, but I really don't listen to that whole second half much. However, I absolutely love Platinum Parts 1 - 4 and if this had been developed into a full album I'm sure it would be included in my Top 10 list. I used to listen to Parts 1 - 4 a lot more than I do now, and then I used it to excercise to which probably was not a great idea and contributed to me tiring of it a little bit or associating it with something not quite that pleasant.

But Platinum Parts 1 - 4 ROCKS!!!!!!!

Voted for Platinum as my favourite cover art as well.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 17:16

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Nov. 06 2005, 17:13)
I like all of the tracks really, but not so much Woodhenge  :zzz:

I've always loved Plantinum for dance; it could have been subtitled "dancin' thru the decades" - seems almost a tribute to it -- includes different styles, e.g., the "Charleston," disco, and ends with Gershwin's show tune, "I Got Rhythm."

From a dance perspective (when you're going straight through) "Woodhenge" has always been perfectly placed to provide a little bit of a lyrical breather. Besides that, I've always found the piece intriguing, mysterious, spiritual--just like the Woodhenge site, itself.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 17:33

These posts inspire me to turn off my computer now and listen to Platinum :)

Oooh, love that one!  :cool:
seeya

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 12:00

Platinum always struck me as a very solid, enjoyable, creative album. I could never appreciate side B as a "song" side, mostly because of the impression "Into Wonderland" gives. "Sally" gives the side a much bigger "instrumental unity", which makes it better to my ears. "Woodhenge" is really Eno-like, and if Mike had tried to expand on that side, I think he could have had success.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 18:00

Platinum Parts 1 thru 4 are superb.   I listen to it quite often.  I love how quirky it is.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2005, 13:11

...and it's even better live

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 13 2005, 18:37

Quote (Sonilink @ Nov. 13 2005, 13:11)

I bet you mean the Complete version!
That one is even better indeed! Love the way they changed part 3 from trumpets to piano (although I love the trumpet bit on the LP)... It Rocks!  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 06:58

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Nov. 13 2005, 18:37)
Quote (Sonilink @ Nov. 13 2005, 13:11)

I bet you mean the Complete version!
That one is even better indeed! Love the way they changed part 3 from trumpets to piano (although I love the trumpet bit on the LP)... It Rocks!  :cool:

Nope sorry it's [ADMIN EDITED OUT] version from the concert in Hannover'81. enjoy(play with windows media player)

(thanks EeToN)

[Will explain in a moment--Inkanta]

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 10:43

I removed the link in Sonilink's post (to the FTP Huntingdon server) at the request of its owner. In fact, I contacted the owner to make sure that the same policy was still in place; that is, that links should not to be posted on any website, including this one. Sonilink, since you obtained the link from someone else, you wouldn't have known.

The site is maintained by a member of the Amarok Mailing List, who suggests that if you want to use the site, join the mailing list. His concern is that if his site gets heavy traffic from other links, he will be asked to shut it down. To subscribe, go here.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 14:47

Quote (Inkanta @ Nov. 16 2005, 10:43)
I removed the link in Sonilink's post (to the FTP Huntingdon server) at the request of its owner. In fact, I contacted the owner to make sure that the same policy was still in place; that is, that links should not to be posted on any website, including this one. Sonilink, since you obtained the link from someone else, you wouldn't have known.

The site is maintained by a member of the Amarok Mailing List, who suggests that if you want to use the site, join the mailing list. His concern is that if his site gets heavy traffic from other links, he will be asked to shut it down. To subscribe, go here.

ooops sorry I didn't mean to cause troubes :) .

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 15:28

Not a problem. :)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 17 2005, 06:08

hmm, and I hadn't even had the time to hear it  :/
Well, anyway, don't matter! :)
don't want to be against the rules!

--------------
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2005, 05:53

Absolutely LOVE Platinum.  All of it is excellent, and his version of I Got Ryhthm is incredible!

There's a live version of Punkadiddle on the B side of a single - can't remember which (might be 5 miles out though) - and one day I accidentally played it at 33 rather than 45 - WOW!  Awesome!  If you've got it, and still have a gramaphone, you should give it a try.
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 28 2005, 05:58

I will...
Great!
Yes it's the flipside of FMO!  :)

Rocks even more this way!!
:cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 02:47

Platinum is a great experimental album, and the popular consensus around here would seem Side A was a success while Side B probably less so.

I don't blame Mike for going for shorter tracks and trying out new sounds with the advent of early digital sampling technology back then.

Sometimes new ideas for tracks works sometimes they don't, but its good that Mike should want to push the boundaries rather than decay in the safety of his old school trademarks.

For me, Platinum was a transition for Mike: it wasn't my favourite album of his but there are still many memorable tracks on it; and by the fact of them still being memorable after all times proves in a way what a lasting impression they've made
Profile PM 
16 replies since Nov. 06 2005, 14:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net