Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The first disease infecting forums, Just say no< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2008, 06:31

Nervously checking back my own post in this thread here to see that I`ve gone for just the three question marks there.Blimey what a relief!That said I`m pretty damn sure I`ve over-stepped the boundaries of punctuation decorum elsewhere in this forum.So I`m really gonna` have to keep a tight check on that in future!..Big style in fact!!!

One thing I see quite a bit of on some other forums is..."Whoosh!"..Not too keen on that one as it`s usually people like myself that fall for them.That said I almost achieved a "Whoosh!" in this very thread in fact.Or maybe I was being double-wooshed and I just did`nt realise it?...You see now that kind of stuff could keep a guy awake at nights.Luckily for me I work permanent night shift,and it`s already way past my bedtime!.....???......Crap!!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 07:45

@ Bassman: thanks for the info, you've been really helpful. I was silly enough not to consult my usual reference site (i.e. Wikipedia) before asking.

By the way, do pwn and pwnd have any pronunciation? I know that they primarily belong to the written language, but if you were supposed to read them aloud, how would you read them? Something like pone and poned, maybe? :D

@ Sweetpea: thanks also to you, I understand you perfectly. It's like those smilies with three or four parentheses after the first one. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 30 2008, 20:32

Quote (Ugo @ April 29 2008, 07:45)
By the way, do pwn and pwnd have any pronunciation? I know that they primarily belong to the written language, but if you were supposed to read them aloud, how would you read them? Something like pone and poned, maybe?

I think so, Ugo. That's how I've heard it from my nephews and on "South Park".

Thanks to Sir M, I've become addicted to xkcd which has a pertinent panel: Misusing Slang

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 01 2008, 16:31

One thing I absolutely dislike about forums is people posting just the word "bump". I never understood what it meant and I don't think I ever will. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 01 2008, 16:54

Quote (Ugo @ July 01 2008, 21:31)
One thing I absolutely dislike about forums is people posting just the word "bump". I never understood what it meant and I don't think I ever will. :D

Oh dear, I think I might have done that once here! Sure I said a bit more than just "bump" but the spirit of the post was just that, bumping the thread just to get it into the "new posts" section!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 01 2008, 22:34

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 27 2008, 05:25)
I have nothing against "LOL". In fact, I use it myself on occasion.

Strictly speaking, "laugh out loud" is English; it should be "laugh aloud" (as opposed, presumably, to "laugh inwardly", if it's really possible to do such a thing).
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 01 2008, 22:35

Quote (nightspore @ July 01 2008, 22:34)
Quote (Sweetpea @ April 27 2008, 05:25)
I have nothing against "LOL". In fact, I use it myself on occasion.

Strictly speaking, "laugh out loud" is English; it should be "laugh aloud" (as opposed, presumably, to "laugh inwardly", if it's really possible to do such a thing).

That should read "bad English". Slip of the keyboard.
Profile PM 
26 replies since Mar. 20 2008, 07:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net