Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: THE END OF MIKE OLDFIELD IN THE UK???, album sales< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
thevoyager Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2002, 14:58

Hi to all MO fans.

I have just joined this site, but have followed mikes music for about 8 years now.

I am a 20 year-old student from england, and fell in love with tubular bells when i first heard it in a music class at college 8 years ago. I loved it because it was different. To me that sums up mike oldfield- and the reason why i have not missed a sinlge album release of his ever since.

what i wish to know is why the british record-buying public are so fickle that they only seem to buy an oldfield album if it contains the word 'tubular'.  Surely, if that album was good- wont his others be.

how come TB3 reached the heady-heights of #4, yet the follow-up guitars just managed #40?

the real dissapointment must be the latest- tres lunas did not even make the top 75 in the uk- a devastating blow for someone who has sold well over 40m albums. He should be given more respect than that.  This music is VERY GOOD and the song 'to be free' possibly one of his best.

All i can say is im glad he can still flog records to the rest of europe. They all obviously have good taste.

cheers for reading

ENJOY MIKE OLDFIELD- HE'S WORTH LISTENING TO!

(p.s- fuck the uk charts)
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2002, 22:15

The lack of sucess for Tres Lunas in UK is only due to one thing - Warner UK's total sistrespect for Mike and releasing it way after the rest of Europe. I guess most of those who wanted it bought it over the internet way before it was released in the UK. In Amazon.co.uk it read #30 on the album sales chart, showing that it was doing OK through this medium. If it was marketed better I believe it would do MUCH better in the UK - unfortunately it's too late now!

In the rest of Europe it seemed to be a great success!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 05:16

David Porter said something along the lines that WEA don't promote Mike as much as they used to because he's no longer a major artist and is past his creative peak - or something similar.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 01:27

Yeah I would have to agree and as we've all said before it is a major cock up on somebody's behalf. I put in a few suggestions and Ideas in the 'To be Free released on the 29th of July' forum. I wonder if Tr3s Lunas did as badly as Amarok in this country. I did read some truely appalling reviews of the album (check out the review in 'Classic Rock' magazine if you dare) I think part of the problem is with the actual album itself. It's difficult to see who the album would appeal to outside of the fanbase. I've let various friends of mine borrow the album, all of who do like Mike Oldfield though not fanatically, and all of them disliked it for various reasons. It's probebly not going to appeal to the people who go to Ibiza (which includes me I'm sad to admit) and want a chill out album to come down to, its to bitsy for that and in that difficult territory where its not background music but its not attention grabbing either. I do kind of think this is yet another example of Mike trying to pander to tastes. I suppose one could argue that Mike Oldfield really invented the 'chill out' genre and he above all should be well placed to give contemporary chill out his going over. But it hasn't really worked to well. IMHO. Yet again I come away from this album with mixed feelings. Again there is a lot of filler. His best since TSDE? certainly. His most developed work? (including the music from the game) certainly. But a great album? It has its moments. Oh well I suppose TB2003 will put him back into the top 10
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 06:48

I'm not sure if what David Porter said was his words, or the record companies.

It's odd and frustrating that Mike's work doesn't get much exposure when it is modern sounding and ought to appeal to non-fans and get airplay on Radio One!!

It's also odd that now, as a result of the lack of airplay and exposure, his albums seem to get better reviews!!
Profile PM 
TheLake Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 07:46

TOBY is right.

There are too many fillers on the last four albums.

Here are they; simple-minded all too straightforward tracks, lacking any kind of finess, and suitable to be played on a low volym in elevators, shops, McDonalds, ... but not for really listening on.

- Landfall
- Firefall
- Tr3s Lunas
- Daydream
- To be free
- Santa Maria
- The Doge's palace (worst ever?)
- The Millenium Bell (weakest title track ever)
- Muse
- Embers
- Enigmatism
- From the ashes
- Serpent Dream
- The inner child
- The top of the morning (no this is the worst ever. What a simple-minded piano-loop over a mediocre drum-loop)
- secrets

Mike is able to do much better, as proved many times even on the 4 latest albums. Now it is time to let him know that we want quality, otherwise we might see an unfortunate development in the questionable directions listed above.

I don't care if many younger fans like the tracks above, it takes some years to being able to recognize true art from mainstream instrumentals.

In addition Mike should spend more time working on the details before he releases the albums. There are too many weak points on the 4 last albums. If you can't hear that, there is nothing I can do for you ...
Profile PM 
QE3 Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 08:16

that was kind of a straighforward message ... but i kind of agree with most of it. i think tres lunas was a step in the right direction but sure the tracks listed above are empty fillers. not great at all and not much mike oldfield. and mike did too many albums lately. There should have been only two instead of the four latest. 'patha mama' would have fitted 'tubular bells 3' very well and 'cochise' would have given 'tres lunas' more weight. and nowadays mike sometimes plays somewaht hasty compared to the past?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 13:38

I doubt that Mike listens to much to fans when it comes to things like this...but if he did, he'd find so many conflicting views...

It was over 2 years after the release of The Millennium Bell before Tres Lunas was released, and anyone looking through the various fan discussions at the time would have found plenty of fans saying that he was taking too long and that they wanted the album right there and then. Now the album's out, he'll come along and find people saying he should have taken longer...all he can do is go his own way, which he does for better or for worse. This is starting to become too much like a discussion going on in another part of the board - I'll carry on over there.

Hearing that Mike had signed to Warner Spain, I have to say that it was already at the back of my mind that we might see problems such as there have been with the release of Tres Lunas. Just shows how much record companies like things that are predictable...
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 14:45

Quote (TheLake @ Aug. 28 2002, 12:46)
There are too many fillers on the last four albums.

I don't care if many younger fans like the tracks above, it takes some years to being able to recognize true art from mainstream instrumentals.

I'm sorry, but people round here like to respect other peoples opinions. They are not so impolite as to dismiss them as outright wrong if they are not in agreement with their own views. With comments as prejudiced and ignorant as that, then I for one shall hold no respect for YOUR opinions. :(

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 15:10

I think in the case of Tres Lunas, the delay in release - and the increased popularity of online sites such as amazon, play.com, and even ebay - has meant that sales figures have been distorted and the album has appeared to be less succesful than it really is. However, I wouldn't doubt that sales HAVE been affected - for a number or reasons. With mp3 technology, and so-called 'fans' more than eager to copy a whole albums contents and put it online rather than mere samples, the ability to obtain the record without purchase is not only an inexpensive option, but also an easy and therefore highly tempting one.

Mike is no longer the huge seller that he once was in the UK. Apart from Tubular Bells II and Elements (number 1 and number 5 in the charts respectively), his last consistent run of big sales success was from 1982 to 1984. Tubular Bells III was out of the top 40 within four weeks, and The Millennium Bell did not even register in the top 100. There are still fans out there in the UK - indeed you'll find many here or in the Mike Oldfield google newsgroup - and with Voyager achieving (moderate) success in the UK, it shows that Mike could sell well again. That album's popularity was probably due to celtic pop being in fashion at the time - sadly Guitars, The Millennium Bell, and Tres Lunas seem to have appealed to no-one but diehard fans. That's not down to the music - in an ideal world, compositions such as Summit Day and Lake Constance would be hugely well-known outside of core Oldfield fans. But Warner UK seem intent on forgetting about Mike in order to make sure everyone else does too.

I am also curious as to Warner Spain's involvement in Mike's promotion - indeed the artwork for Tres Lunas credits Warner Spain. Is it that they are responsible for Mike's promotion in foreign territories such as the UK? Maybe they just didn't feel like bothering after recouping their costs with huge sales in other European territories?

But Mike's recent commercial downturn is not equatable to the amount of apparent 'filler' on his recent albums. Indeed, I point TheLake to In High Places, to Saved By A Bell, to Blue Night, to *insert title of bad eighties track by Mike here*...In my opinion, these tracks are far worse than, say, The Inner Child, or Serpent Dream. Even the instrumental tracks on QE2 are comparitively inconsequential in comparison to, say, Mont St. Michel or Lake Constance. And, to those who feel Mike's recent music lacks passion, I point you to Tres Lunas 2 (the fan-created internet mix album) which contains music more passionate than anything that Mike has done since Tubular Bells II. It proves Mike hasn't lost his muse. Not by a long way.

Hmm, I'm going to think about this some more...great debate!

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2002, 16:12

I agree completely to your last few points there. I think some of the fan mix's were astonishingly good and with the possible exception of 3 tracks on the album were way ahead of what was officialy released. I do not, as you say, think Mike has lost his muse. I did in the late 80's and then in 1990 he released Amarok. I think the fact that I know Mike can still do it actually frustrates me when I see him surrounded by what I consider bad decision making. There was certainly bad decision making when it came to what to put on and what to leave off this album.

The question about whether or not it was simply the music's fault the album did not sell is another matter. I often wonder if Mike released his best album ever tomorrow whether it would fair any better than TL. If it were marketed and promoted imaginatively then probably. He is still enormously respected both inside the music industry and out.

Somebody said above that its unlikely Mike would ever listen to the fans and thats probably true, yet  I've read numerous interviews with him where he has said something along the lines of 'somebody suggested to me do a chill out album' or 'do a celtic album'. He does seem to be stangely open to suggestion. I would just say to him play to your strenghts, for once turn off those synth drum pads and do somthing developed and less beat orriented. I'm not saying 'gimme another Amarok' but at the same time It's what you're a genius at and its what no one as in no one can do like you do. Be yourself.
Profile PM 
TheLake Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 03:31

TOBY is once again very much right.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 05:31

Remember what Tom Newman said, Mike starts off playing things by hand, but then he starts using a sequencer and then finished product doesn't turn out as good as the demos.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 14:51

After hearing the TBII demos I would certainly agree with that. They sound, to my ears, a lot more interesting than what was finaly released. Its probably the same story with a lot of his recent stuff. I read somewhere that there exists an entire version of the Voyager album recorded acousticaly without any synth. It would be interesting to hear this.
Back to the original topic. I notice the recent edition of Q magazine contains not one single mention of the album not even a review. Does Mike's manager not think something is being done wrongly here or if not wrongly then not at all. For such a beloved and hard worked project as MVR it's strange for them to put such apparant bugger all effort into doing anything to promote it.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 14:54

One place he does listen to suggestions from is the record company - they were certainly responsible for suggesting Voyager, and I think The Songs of Distant Earth as well. The child's voice on TB3 was another...

Mike, when asked about it by Dark Star, claimed that Voyeger had always been pretty much like the final version.

I think that the focus for MVR promotion is radio and TV, as Mike's manager Nicky Horne obviously has a good number of contacts in those areas. I'd certainly not call the amount of radio and TV appearances bugger all...
There have also been the articles in publications like Metro (which, being free, actually gets a lot of readers) and The Sunday Times. Considering that they don't have the budget to place big adverts and things, I'd say that Mike's management aren't making too bad an effort (the record company is a different story...).
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 21:46

But why don't they have the budget. Mike isn't some poor small fry artist. Even Amarok got a full page advert in Q at the time (mind you fat lot of good that did) . Agreed 'bugger all' was a bit of a sweeping generalisation made by me but you  would have to agree that from the outside it does seem like the record company does not give a toss. Neither the latest editions of Mojo magazine or Q contain even a review of the album and these are the magazines that matter and people pay the most attention to.
Obviously the delayed release date in this country didn't help matters. I just presumed that the delayed release here in the UK was because they were trying to tie it in with big magazine articles and that hasn't happened.
I suppose at the end of the day we're all in the agreement that Mike is no longer a top 10 artist in this country but I would kind of expect there to be enough potential interest out there to put him in the top 20 or 30 at least for a few weeks. Of course we could ask ourselves do we really care if Mike gets in the charts? But I think most of us do care because we would like to see him get the recognition both artisticaly and commercialy we think he deserves. Whether or not Mike's recent output in terms of musical quality deserves this or is to blame here is another arguement altogether.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 23:48

They don't have the budget because a lot was already spent producing Music VR and there's only a certain amount that it's sensible to spend (alongside all sorts of related things, like that much of Mike's fortune may well be tied up in assets rather than being cash in hand). They have to make sure that whatever is spent on promotion can be recouped, alongside getting back the investment made in Music VR.

Additionally, Mike may only be able to do certain forms of promotion himself - there may be something in his contract which stops him from taking out advertisements of his own.

In the case of Q and Mojo magazine, perhaps they just weren't interested in reviewing the album (and neither the record company nor Mike were willing to bribe them ;) ). It does seem, though, like Warner Spain really aren't interested in UK promotion (all the promotion I mentioned - TV, radio, newspaper interviews - is most likely the work of Mike's manager rather than the record company). It's their loss, really, but perhaps they've decided that the cost of heavy promotion isn't worth what they'll get back on it...
They're happy, of course, as Mike charted in Spain (which must be quite a big goal for a Spanish record label)...and Mike's happy because someone's paying him to make music...it's only the UK fans who aren't happy (alongside the fans in places that the album hasn't been released at all, of course...at least it did reach the UK eventually), after watching a missed opportunity, and being left rather forgotten in all the excitement.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2002, 02:54

'Missed oppertunity' may well sit as the epitaph over the whole of TL. Oh well....
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2002, 05:49

Mike isn't the only famous artist not to get much airplay, or press coverage - so THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET FOR KEEPING US, THE FANS INFORMED!

I'm surprised that there don't even seem to be any articles about the Music VR in computer magazines!!

One possible solution is to bombard radio stations with requests for tracks off TR - such as Bob Harris

It's a pity the Mediaeval Baebes new CD has not got much airplay either - it was released a few months ago, and it's their best one so far.

Perhaps Mike should promote the 30 years of TB with famous musicians playing in his band - just like 30th years ago!!
Profile PM 
Pieter
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 30 2002, 13:22

A friend of mine told me today, Mike wouldn´t have released an album since at least one year, so he was very astonished that there exists an album called tres lunas.
Bad promotion in Germany, too.
Mike´s albums are bought only by hard fans. Almost all albums since Islands reached a "relatively" high position in the charts, especially when a bell is written on it, but then went down relatively quickly.
Bad promotion, again?
TL reached nr. 19 in germany, but sold out at this position in some stores. One week later it went heavily down in the charts.
29 replies since Aug. 21 2002, 14:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net