Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: THE END OF MIKE OLDFIELD IN THE UK???, album sales< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cloth ears
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 01 2002, 21:05

I’ve bought every previous official album of Mikes in the past, and Tr3s wouldn’t have been any different.  But I prefer to buy in high street shops rather than on-line (no credit card), and places like HMV place a premium on imported CDs.  So I felt begrudged paying a bit extra for something most of Europe were getting for a normal price.  My solution was simply to download it.

I personally don’t know how much control Mike has over release dates here in the UK, but if they can’t be arsed releasing NEW material in line with the rest of Europe, well they just lost themselves a customer.

OK I may not have the game, but the demo didn’t do anything for me, and I do feel slightly guilty.  But when it was finally released I thought to myself, £12 or stick to my Mp3.  Sorry Mike I kept my money.

I’m sure most people would agree with me that, whoever made the decision to hold it back, hasn’t got a clue about business.
richard
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 13 2002, 08:58

:laugh:
i think mike's tres lunas is brilliant, it is a shame that in the uk mike hardly ever gets a hit.  

the uk charts are a fucking joke!!!.
lazeeladuk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2002, 10:05

Well said Richard!! The people at WB don't really know what they are doing. I can't understand their way of thinking, Mike has got to be one of the biggest sellers of the last 30 years, just look at TB. People are still buying Mikes albums from years ago, I know they are on a different label but what difference does that make? Maybe Mike should start a shitty boy band with Gareth G-G-G-GATES, They might take him a bit more seriously then( this is a joke of course)   :laugh: I think I'll start a poll SHOULD MIKE LEAVE WB AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE? I think he should be recognised for his contribution to the music industry......a knighthood perhaps?
;)
Profile PM 
treslunas Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 15 2002, 10:07

it doesnt matter about charts, the music is there for his fans! Mike looks after his fans alot!
treslunas

--------------
Tr3s Lunas (Danny Hudson)
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2002, 18:30

Is Mikes albums now 100% great, that is the question?

I have been a fan from the start, awaiting every album rushing out to buy, including the horendous wait for the double album 'Incantations', thought it would never come out, but I now see a trend in his latter works.

Maybe its only me, but his early works were 95% TO 100% great, but his latter more 'commercial works' were of  a lower percentage standard. So you got less on the album that you liked.

So the time now has come before you buy in the UK, to find a way of listening to the whole album to see if it is wothwhile.

When you get a long time fan saying this the the artist should start to worry.

Mind you its not just mikes work, The price of CD's in RIPOFF Britain makes you have to think twice before buying any music artists work.

The internet and radio allows fans to listen to tracks of new albums and judge, do I pay this amount for that bit of plastic.

I think the above decision if the album is good, plus the UK music industries pricing policy has caused reduced sales,

Just wait a year and the album will be on sale at half price.

Cheers MO fan    :O
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 05:55

Quote (treslunas @ Sep. 15 2002, 10:07)
it doesnt matter about charts, the music is there for his fans! Mike l

EXACTLY!

Who gives a f--- about the charts? Come on guys are you 12 years old or what!??
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 09:00

David Mar is right about what he said on the previous page about WEA not promoting Mike Oldfield's albums as much as they used to because the last time WEA promoted Mike Oldfield's records was in 1992 when Tubular Bells II was released which climbed to Number 1 in the UK charts but his following and recent albums didn't even get to the Top Ten with the exception of 1997's Tubular Bells III, which reached Number 4 in the Uk charts.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 12:01

Actually, there was quite good promotion in Hungary in connection with Tres Lunas. There were lots of bills here in Budapest, even in bus stops (and one in my room). ;) There was a promotion film in the main Hungarian TV channel and an interview with Mike in a magazine.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2004, 16:07

Thankyou EeToN.  I wonder how well Tubular Bells 2003 sold in Europe and the USA?  ;)  ;)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2004, 15:46

It seems to me that the europian version of warner is only interseted in home turf promotion, beacause as we all know Mike is huge in spain, but they have to remember that the UK is where it all started, if it wasn't for Mike and Richard Branson's vision, then the sucsess that followed would never have been, its about time a UK label took on the Mike Oldfield franchise and promoted it in a way that is fitting to such a musical institution, with the right promotion Mike would be a household name for todays generation, for god's sake i try but my services are free!, a large portion of my friends and family have purchased Mike's albums upon listening to mine, do i get paid? no, do i care? no, its all about fan's promoting music to others as well as the company's but when all is said and done, it's up to the label he is signed with not us, there is only so much we can do, and so much more that they can, but they dont!  :(

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
29 replies since Aug. 21 2002, 14:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net