Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Elements Video< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 08:41

I am an 18 year old Mike Oldfield fan from Australia and I received the "Elements" video for Christmas! Hooray!

Anyway, I must admit that I quite like it...

...with reservations.

I must say its all very wonderful just to see a Mike Oldfield videoclip. They never play them on television down here, even when they are having one of those "Hits Of The 70's" style late night TV specials. The clips for "Five Miles Out" and "Islands" (directed by Aussie Alex Proyas of "The Crow" and "Dark City" fame) are brilliant, and the video clip for "Shadow On The Wall" is hilairious (featuring Mike in a leather jacket, pouting and trying to look tough, plus a very sweaty Roger Chapman being menaced by some chicks with whips and nearly bursting into tears...weird).

It's also great to see some interview footage considering Mike doesn't speak during his live concerts, which are hard enough to find on video anyway. It's nice to see him talking naturally, even if he doesn't too much personal stuff.

However I do think this could have been longer (it's only 52 minutes), could have included some rarer stuff ("Crime Of Passion", "Shine", "Pictures In The Dark"), and like the Elements greatest hits CD, it has more songs than instrumentals on it. And although the interview footage was good i would like to have seen ALL of it, perhaps at the end of the tape instead of sandwiched between the video clips.

It's also a bit pricey here ($50.00 Australian), but overall quite entertaining.

Anyone else got some comments on the video?

Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 09:16

Where can you get it from? I know you got it for Christmas but do you have any ideas which shops stock it? In Australia anyway.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2001, 00:24

My dad got it from a shop in Perth, Western Australia, called "78 records"

Their website is:
http://www.78records.com.au/

You can order it online there, or place an order.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2001, 05:59

I might just catch the train down to the city and see if they have it there over the weekend.

Thanks for your info bennyboy.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
feverpitch96 Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 22:34

Hi folks, seems this is the Aussie thread. smile

I've never invested in the Elements video, I've been waiting (and waiting, and waiting!) to see if Virgin are going to give it a DVD release. No sign of that yet as far as I can see.

I have NEVER seen it for sale here in Sydney, so if that Perth shop has got it they're doing very well indeed. A $50 pricetag suggests that it's a UK import. That being the case, Tim, I know that Blackstar Video of Belfast have it in stock and and can probably have it to your door within ten days of your online order. At the current exchange rate they'd probably do it for about $39 of our money including delivery.
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/crashtig/video/item/7000000027732 should take you right to it. smile

As for local screenings of the videos, I remember certain Mike Oldfield videos, official and otherwise, being very popular on ABC-TV in the late 70s and early 80s, but no longer as you say. The video for Portsmouth got a good run from time to time, usually used as a filler between a 6.30pm show and the news. Same was true of the clip for William Tell Overture, and a strange but wonderful clip for the single-length "Excerpt from Incantations IV" which the ABC seemed to have re-edited from footage in The Space Movie, the1979 film marking ten years since the moon landing which Mike provided the music for...they even deigned to show the clip for Moonlight Shadow once or twice when it was new!

The Space Movie is now deleted, I believe, but, um, well, I have a copy... smile
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 26 2001, 04:13

Actually, feverpitch96, there are quite a few Aussie threads throughout this site, if you look hard enough in General comments. And of course there's the Aussie fans section in Fans Around The World.

-Tim-

Sorry, this is a tad offtopic wink.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2002, 14:43

The Elements video,oh yes,it helped me to get into the Tubular World of Mike Oldfield...

I remember when I was younger a video from TB,and the videos from TB II,but not the others!!

Some video stuff is quite boring,like Islands with Bonnie 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' Tyler...some look old-fashioned...

Anyway,loved the extract of Incantations Part 4, FMO and Moonlight Shadow.And the Sentinel video.

Tati the Sentinel

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 02:21

can anyone give me a tracklisting for the video? i;ve heard a bit about it and i want to know whats on it.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 05:18

TRACKLISTING FOR ELEMENTS:

Ommadawn Part 1 (opening theme)
Tubular Bells Part One
In Dulci Jubilo
Incantations Part 4 (Closing theme)
Etude (Theme from "The Killing Fields")
Five Miles Out
Moonlight Shadow
Islands
Shadow On The Wall
Sentinel (Singles Mix)
Tattoo (Live at Edinburgh Castle)
Ommadawn Part 1 (Opening Theme)

Includes interview footage with Mike in between the music videos/live footage
Profile PM 
8 replies since Jan. 08 2001, 08:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net