Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Electronic Team< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 14 2005, 22:42

Here's a pic of the Electronic Team,and you can see Mike closer to the guys from Kraftwerk.Nice to find out who's who on that cartoon :)

http://kraftwerk.technopop.com.br/images...._35.jpg

I wanted to upload it,but it was a big file!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: April 17 2005, 13:15

Funny pic...:laugh:

If I'm not wrong, I can see there Mike, Kraftwerk, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Andreas Vollenweider, and up in the pic some ..."not so electronic composers"...but I can't recognize the other members of this team. Who are them?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 17 2005, 19:17

The guy at the piano is Stravinsky, the one behind it is Tchaikovsky, although I'm not sure of either spelling. :) On the top there are Händel and Bach. I cannot recognize anyone else. The guy in the dark glasses looks familiar [he vaguely resembles Gilbert Montagné, but he's not a composer, AFAIK... :)], but I don't really know who he is.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bubular Tells Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 08:15

I disagree with a few you named Ugo. Your Händel seems more like Vivaldi to me (compare to this picture). I don't spot Tchaikovski either (Tchaikovski had a beard). I am not sure about Stravinksy but it could be right.
Some others I believe to spot are Philip Glass (right of Bach) and Wim Mertens (right of Philip Glass). The one right of Mike could be Danny Elfman because of the creature of The Nightmare before Christmas but I am not sure.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 19:47

@ Bugular: you're right about Vivaldi, but in that period they all wore talc-powdered wigs, and I got the wrong wig. :D And you're also right about Danny Elfman - I remember him from when he called himself Oingo Boingo. :D About the guy I wrongfully identified as Tchaikovski, is he really Wim Mertens? Weird. :) I was thinking of Tchaikovski because of the nuts in front of him (The Nutcracker).

--------------
Profile PM 
Bubular Tells Offline

Posted: April 19 2005, 06:27

LOL about the wigs...
About the nuts they're actually rocks, I found the picture. I had seen the cd before, that's why I recognised him, don't know how famous he is abroad (we're both Belgian).
So the ones that are left to identify are the guy with the dark glasses and the guy on the left. The latter maybe is Alan Parsons though in the pictures I find he has more hair.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 19 2005, 19:20

That's quite a dodgy Stravinsky, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I thought it might have been Karlheinz Stockhausen (a pioneer of the German 'Electronische Musik' genre), but I haven't found a photo of him with glasses

(If it helps, the Nightmare Before Christmas character is called Jack Skelington. He sings :))
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 11:50

Over at jarre.net forums I was talking about those funny comics Marko makes of MO and JMJ. Then somebody posted a comic I didn't know. It's on the kraftwerk fan site http://kraftwerk.technopop.com.br

Here it its:

http://kraftwerk.technopop.com.br/images...._35.jpg moved from another topic, hence the repetition

Really really funny.  :D You can see it's from the early 90's or so as Oldfield is drawn that way. You can also see Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis and some other famous people.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 24 2005, 13:56

Fwow, that's brilliant. I don't recognise some of those, though.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 13:57

Took me just a couple of seconds to pick out Mike. I have no idea what Kraftwerk looks like. Mike in that image looks a little like Anakin turning to the dark side.

Is that Philip Glass there?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 24 2005, 15:38

Aha, I think that's Glass alright - I think, at least. At first sight, the man in the piano looked a little like Brian Eno (may be the bald head...), and the one above him reminds me of Roger Daltrey... :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 15:44

Glass is one of the few guys I've seen live in concert. No, he did not play "North Star".

The bald guy looks like either Le Corbusier or Philip Johnson. However, as architects, both of them built real edifices, not walls of sound.

Who is that guy on the far left? Could it be General Zod himself?

The harpist on the far right would appear to be Barbra Streisand, if not for the manly eyes. However, I am guessing that it is Andreas Vollenweider, the first (only) harpist that I can think of right now.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2005, 15:50

Kraftwerk are the four guys standing one behind the other, the first one being in front of mike, all wearing ties. I think the two at the back are Mozart, and good old Ludwig Van B.
At a guess, I would say the fat bearded one was Vangellis, or possibly, (but unlikely) Demis Roussos.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 15:59

I'm rather certain that the heavier-featured "old longhair" near Philip Glass (on the right) is J.S Bach. As for the other "old longhair", he does not have Beethoven's mane. Every pic I find of Mozart shows him with shorter hair than this character. The hair does match Handel even if the face did not appear to match. Also, this man is shown with a violin (if that helps figure out who it is! )

I did notice the inclusion of one Jack Skellington in the background on the left side. If he is included in such an illustration along with Bach, Oldfield, and Vangelis, then surely I need to seek out his record albums too. Danny Elfman appears to be the one between Jack and Mike.

Now, who is the "Alfred E Newman" guy between Glass and Vollenweider who has dumbo ears and no mouth? He appears to be munching rocks on top of the piano. Maybe he is the Soviet youth from the Evil Empire (Rage) album cover all grown up.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2005, 16:09

He's Wim Mertens. And I stand corrected. I think you're right about J,S,Bach.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 16:14

Who is Wim, and does he eat rocks?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2005, 16:23

Take a look HERE. He always looked a miserable sod, so maybe the rock chewing thing explains it!
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 17:32

@ Hiawatha: the 'old longhair' is Antonio Vivaldi, and, anyway, the whole thing has already been discussed here. I think the bald guy with glasses is Igor Stravinsky, but no-one has yet confirmed this. :)

P.S.: The guy in the dark glasses may be F.R.David. He was a one-hit-wonder in 1982. I'm just taking a guess. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 17:38

May I take a guess on the guy with the dark glasses? Robert Fitoussi a.k.a. F.R.David. He had a [b]huge[/i] hit wth an electro-dance track called "Words"; after that, he practically disappeared. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 17:50

Well, over at jarre.net were are discussing the other people on the comic too. This is wat we have so far:

(from the left to the right:)

1: (bearded man) General Zod mnaaah!!!
2: (with guitar) Mike Oldfield
3: Danny Elfman
4: Jack Skellington (The Nightmare before Christmas)
5: (four guys) Kraftwerk (Karl, Ralf, Florian and Wolfgang)
6: (long hair and violin) Vivaldi
7: (fat bearded greek) Vangelis
8: (suit and glasses) maybe F.R. David
9: (glasses and remote keyboard) Jean Michel Jarre
10: (old wig man) J.S. Back
11: (curly guy) Philip Glass
12: (big ear guy) Wim Mertens
13: (curly guy with harp) Andreas Vollenweider
14: (bald guy with piano) maybe Igor Stravinsky

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
21 replies since April 14 2005, 22:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net