Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Doge's Pallace, I wanted louder kick!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 30 2003, 16:22

I know the millenium bell album was intended to be calm :) but I think that in this song it deserves a louder kick :) and also some other minor changes...so I've also tried a new music toy I got and tried to make it completely again from a midi file indeed :) and this is what came out after a few hours of mixing and creating or modifying instruments --> http://www.rebirth.nd4spdworld.com/staff/TheDogesPallace.mp3

well I hope you will like it

@Brandon Blume: I told you I gotta beat your sound quality of your TB short intro so judge this is it better? :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 19:03

I'm afraid the only good things I can say, is that you've copied the song well, your minor changes aren't bad, and the sound quality is good.

But I really don't like your version. I've compared it with the original, and that's the only conclusion I can make. It sounds so... wrong!! To much reverb! It's so... sticky!! It's like I've got a slimy substance in my ears!

I think the reverb is only a good idea if you want to make some horror- or gothic-like music, like adding some diminished quint chords (is that English?) at the 16th second, and developping it in the same style.
Maybe the reverb would work if the original wouldn't exist (allthough I doubt it), but now the comparison is definitely killing it. :/

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 20:17

I agree with Ancient here. Too much reverb. Way too much. Sounds like a mess. Get rid of the reverb and you may have something. I like the little bit of change you did to one of the chords there. Idea was good. Just too much reverb.

As for quality, you can kind of tell the some (if not all) of the samples are around the 22khz range and not fully 44khz. But that's ok. Also some of the samples sound sort of 'not-real.' You can tell they're samples and doesn't pass enough as real instruments. But there's only so much you can do with Fruityloops, isn't there? :)

Y'know, I was thinking of recording the entire TB intro with better sound quality and much longer etc. Perhaps after this attempt (which is hard to say if it passed my short TB intro or not) by you, I should retalliate with that....

hehehehehe

Though I won't be doing it for a little bit. Someone asked me to make little guitar tune for a game so I hafta get that done first.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 01 2003, 06:17

well was no fruityloops this time...but well :-/ you don't like it... I think I am a bit freaky LOL I like much reverb...I think it makes a better atmosphere...

Brandon: about the samples there are not any it was just a funny thing all the instruments are Analog Synthesis sounds made by myself :)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: May 01 2003, 09:05

about the samples there are not any it was just a funny thing all the instruments are Analog Synthesis sounds made by myself

I see.....yes, you ARE freaky! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 01 2003, 09:31

:p thx for compliment maybe we should team up under name like "2 freaks on the mix" :D

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2003, 11:53

ouch !
That was my comment to what I hear right now.
Sorry, but I get a headache by this....
Okay, u made a so-called "earwig" out of it, but somehow I don't like it.

BTW: is the double-l a typo or is it supposed to be "Pallace" ?

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 01 2003, 15:14

LOL yeah that's a typo...

btw I think I will just keep on trancing :/ this doesn't really seem to be good...

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2003, 15:27

well, I absolutely don't have any problems ith trance-stuff in general, but your latest mix is somekind of strange.
as I said: I get a headache when listenin' to it and this normaly happens when I listen to nerve-killing voices like Sting in his "Police"-years, only.....
:laugh:

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 01 2003, 22:24

Same here. I have nothing against trance.....but I guess your interpretation and appreciation for it is your own. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear what you come up with in the future! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 02 2003, 01:02

dkay: ok ok :))) thx :)

Thanks Brandon, you are quite optimistic always :) makes me keep my head up :D thanks :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 02 2003, 10:06

Now everyone's pulled it apart about as much as possible, shall we try and pick up the pieces a bit?  :cool:

I can't help but agree with what's said, that it has a rather indisinct sound. The reverb certainly doesn't help that, but it's not the only factor.
You might find that using a faster attack on the string sound helps. I'd make it a lot brighter as well, so it cuts through a bit more. The same would go for the melody line, it would work really well with a bright, cutting synth lead sound.
Despite your desire to give it a louder kick, the kick drum sound doesn't come across as particularly powerful - I'd try something that has a little more in the mid-range, to give the sound a bit more guts. The bass sound could be brought up quite a bit in level without doing any harm, which would help give it a bit more edge.
Back to the reverb - reverb on some sounds can help to give the track more 'atmosphere', but when there's bucketloads on everything, it tends to just make the whole thing seem very distant and often muddy as well. A lot of reverb with a long decay time, on something that's playing a lot of fast notes, willl just make the whole thing sound rather blurred. If you must have the reverb at that level, you might like to play around with the pre delay time a little, so the reverb isn't fighting so much with the dry signal. In general, though, I'd use reverb very carefully, putting more on things which I want to place at the 'back' and less on things which are going 'in front'. Pad sounds are good candidates for heavy reverb, as are things like harmony lines which you may just want to drift in from the distance somewhere. Effects like stereo delay and stereo chorus are also good for making things spread out and less distinct sounding.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 02 2003, 22:56

NP, Booster :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since April 30 2003, 16:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net