Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The "customized" Tubular Bells, mixing your favourite parts from all< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ATTMO Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2004, 09:35

Some time ago when i tought how annoying moonshine is and I was really amused by the "drunken hornpipe" i thought why not make a TBII cd with a changed ending. the interconnection would not be a large issue here as the end is different anyway

so i had the idea to make a TB album consisting of
TB I(both endings possible)
TB II
OTB
TB 2003
... and well TB III does not really match except for some excerpts

of couse it would need some mixing / dj ing skills to melt it all together as seamlessly as possible however it might be a nice thing to do as from the main concept TB TBII an OTB are similar but on each of them there are excerpts wich i prefer. eg. i would take the intro from TB II (sir mustapha will kill me for that) and maybe the piltdown man part from OTB(although it would not really be a piltdown man anymore)

i guess i'll have some more listens before i post my proper version

--------------
"Such is life; and we are but as grass that is cut down, and put into the oven and baked" - Jerome K Jerome
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 10 2004, 09:49

I seem to remember somebody making a mix of parts of the different Tubular Bells albums at around the time that The Best Of Tubular Bells came out. Certainly a lot of people felt that The Best Of... could have been mixed rather differently.

The problem, I think, is the vastly different sound of them, it makes them difficult to stick together without it being quite noticeable.
It might be possible to mix together Tubular Bells 3 and 2003, and maybe Tubular Bells 2 would fit ok as well. The Orchestral and original Tubular Bells albums would be more troublesome to integrate though, as would Exposed if you were to fancy including that.

Don't let me spoil the fun though, it's a nice idea!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 10 2004, 09:59

Also there's nothing to stop you using an unconnected short Mike instrumental as your new ending.  Say Blue Peter for example (off the top of my head).

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 10 2004, 10:45

Yes, that's an interesting idea...

It would be interesting to try constructing a Tubular Bells album from non-Tubular Bells pieces, if you see what I mean (I have a feeling of deja vu as I say this, I think there might have been a similar discussion on the Amarok mailing list a while ago). So, for example, opening with Tubular World in place of Introduction, maybe one of the rocky sections from Crises in place of Fast Guitars, No Man's Land reprise in place of Ambient Guitars, something along those lines.
It would make an especially interesting project for someone wanting to record a long cover track, as they could then all be recorded in a style that would match.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 04 2014, 07:30

I think the thing with The best of Tubular Bells was that it was a fairly good marketing tool that would allow someone who only owns TB from Mike's music to hear what the other TB albums are like. I bought it as a completist, but I rarely listen to it.
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 10 2004, 09:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net