Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The cover, Taking a close look on the artwork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 10 2009, 22:22

Quote (Bassman @ April 10 2009, 20:56)
BTW, anyone that refers to this album (or any) as "rubbish" as though it is fact is not only instigating conflict, but also pretty much destroys whatever credibility they may have had in the first place by using such emotionally-charged verbiage.

Is that limited to "rubbish", "garbage", "awful" and so on, or it also includes "amazing", "brilliant", "emotional", "perfect" and so on? I want to know if I have the right to be annoyed by people who make empty praises to music I don't like. :) Personally, I think people should be free to share opinions, feelings, emotions and all that crap. We're not discussing mathematics, in which a fella could be rightfully banned for stubbornly and passionately refusing that 0.9999... = 1. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2009, 02:44

The point, Sir M, is that it's more interesting if you can give reasons for your emotional responses (which, as you suggest, can be either positive or negative). Who wants to read comments that simply say "It's rubbish" or "it's brilliant"? The sort of comment I like to read is the sort that I posted today under the "Santa Maria" topic.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 11 2009, 06:55

Quote (nightspore @ April 10 2009, 21:39)
Presumably anyone who goes to the trouble of coming back under a new name is hardly going to admit doing so... It would destroy the point of reincarnating in the first place!

In any case, welcome to the forum! What is your favourite MO album, Ghostmojo? What do you think of Amarok?

I can assure you NS, I am who I say I am - and nobody else. My honesty regarding TMB is what caused this in the first place. I have no desire or need to lie or mislead. After only having been posting here regularly for a few days or so, I'm a bit taken aback by the need to be having to justify my existence/identity in the first place, to be quite frank. However, in the interests of amity I will let that pass...

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. My fave MOA is a tricky one because my usual answer would be Hergest Ridge. That is the one which has stayed with me longest. That is the one that still sends a tingle down my spine in its opening movement. I've contributed a bit to that thread if you look.

I'm heading rapidly for my first half-century and so was there as a young teenager when TB1 came out. I have also added some thoughts to the various TB threads.

The early albums of course are very dear to me - esp. TB1, HR, Ommadawn and Incantations and later offerings like Crises and TSODE. I've got all the albums, and whilst liking the more song-oriented things like Islands and Heavens Open - I far prefer the elongated instrumental things. That's what drew me in, in the first place and that's what still does.

Of course I recognise a good song when I hear it and MO has crafted any number of these: On Horseback/Family Man/Heavens Open/Five Miles Out/Islands/Moonlight Shadow/To France/Shadow On The Wall/Foreign Affair/Crime Of Passion/To Be Free/Man In The Rain/Earth Moving amongst them. Each one a little perfectly polished gem in its right. My heart, however, belongs to the folk/rock/new age orchestral meanderings that sets MO apart from everybody else.

Regarding Amarok. I think it is fantastic. A real return to form. Read my initial thoughts elsewhere. I have only just got going on that one.

Regarding The Millennium Bell (again), I thought I did give my reasons why I don't think much of it. From the throwaway cover design to the uneven, eclectic mix of material; over-reliance on simple rhythm loops; and weak melodies and harmonies - it just doesn't work for me. Anyway, I see nothing wrong with fan being honest about their liking or otherwise for an artist's material. Eric Clapton complained that he was bemused why people threw plaudits at him for stuff he knew to be humdrum (his words).

I don't think any artist wants fans who just think everything is fantastic (and you do get them) without employing any independent critical faculties. I guess many posters on this site are musicians of various levels (I am too) and can recognise great work when they see it. Equally, they can detect when something is perhaps a bit lame. But of course none of that takes into account personal taste to which we are all prone anyway - whether we have merely an academic interest, musical ability or otherwise.

Regards

HSMJ

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 11 2009, 08:36

Quote (nightspore @ April 11 2009, 02:44)
The point, Sir M, is that it's more interesting if you can give reasons for your emotional responses (which, as you suggest, can be either positive or negative).

It definitely is, but not everyone can do that. Even though the "emotional" responses don't interest me at all, I don't think it's any crime to speak them out.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 11 2009, 09:07

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 11 2009, 08:36)
It definitely is, but not everyone can do that. Even though the "emotional" responses don't interest me at all, I don't think it's any crime to speak them out.

I think everyone can do it; it's just that some can be more precise than others. Obviously it's not a "crime" simply to report one's emotional response - but it seems to be that the balder the statement the easier it is to forget to add that all-important "IMHO".

In any case, Ghostmojo has shown that he is more than capable of providing the sort of analysis we're talking about; and it would be interesting to see him revisit TMB with even more precision. For example, I think there's a lot of intelligence behind "Santa Maria"; it certainly deserves more than a cover-all dismissal.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 11 2009, 12:36

Ghostmojo - there do seem to be similarities between you and Alan D's postings if you check him out, infact I really thought that "Ghostmojo" was this year's Tubular.net April Fool. I was half expecting Alan to do the big "reveal", and if so I wanted to welcome him back. Alan D appeared to leave the forum very suddenly last summer, in the heat of the moment, and  I think it's good and healthy to return and resolve unfinished business sometimes - if you get the chance.

As for TMB - I think that Mike's music, particularly TMB, (the scapegoat of the family) has been used like a tool sometimes to settle old scores. Idealising one album and denigrating another also feels too extreme, and I believe some integration of the two ends can be attempted when this is Mike Oldfield after all. TMB has it's own unique little personality IMO that stands alone in quite an eccentric and quirky kind of fashion. It isn't an extension of "Tubular Bells" in any way -it's very much it's own independent person - like a child. Maybe some would describe it as the blacksheep of the family, but to me it is not inferior or less lovable because it's different.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 11 2009, 20:15

Quote (wiga @ April 11 2009, 12:36)
Ghostmojo - there do seem to be similarities between you and Alan D's postings if you check him out, infact I really thought that "Ghostmojo" was this year's Tubular.net April Fool

What!!! You want me to go and read somebody else's posts to check that it's not me afterall? Like, perhaps I am somebody else and didn't realise it! Cripes - in the words of the great Zaphod Beeblebrox - "put your analyst on danger money baby...".

Is it not possible, just conceivable even, that out of the hundreds who post here, more than one person might hold similar views?

This keeps getting better - not only am I the enigmatic Alan D. but I'm also an April Fool too.

Thanks a bundle ...
_

I really don't know what I can do to disuade some of you about this returning under a false moniker business/nonsense; other than perhaps to direct you to a website of another band, MTWA (Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash), where I help out with CD designs (all 3 so far), tour posters, and general website imagery. My name (Howard) is mentioned here and there - as is my graphics business name (Ghostmojo) which is also my moniker here and elsewhere:

http://www.wishboneash.co.uk/news/2007-12-25-0804.aspx?newsID=281

http://www.wishboneash.co.uk/news/2008-12-29-1526.aspx?newsID=336

http://www.fubb.fi/2006.htm (MTWA : New Live Dates - Volume One)

http://www.fubb.fi/2007.htm (MTWA : New Live Dates - Volume Two)

http://www.fubb.fi/2008.htm (MTWA : Argus Through The looking Glass)

All of which, are my final words on this particular subject...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
46 replies since Aug. 20 2005, 18:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net