Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The cover, Taking a close look on the artwork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 18:56

I haven't had the opportunity to study the cover artwork for MB until now.

Without competition it's the ugliest record sleeve I have ever seen.

Stylistically it reminds me of the kind of drawings usually found in broschures handed out by obscure religious sects (especially the one Prince has joined).

No other album in MOs discography is that butt ugly. I'm not a huge fan of the music on this album, but it's never even remotely as horrible as the mess of flying objects that is the  cover. Both rock music and record sleeves must have been completely alien concepts for the artist in question!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 02:26

To be honest I've never had a problem with it. I don't think it's a particularly good sleeve, I certainly wouldn't say I like it, but I don't hate it the way that yourself and many others seem to.

Some of you may have noticed that I rarely have strong negative views about anything related to Mike. I suppose that's just the way I am. The most I can usually manage is a mild dislike. There are exceptions of course, but I don't really like discussing them (I'd rather talk about things I do like).

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 07:29

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 21 2005, 02:26)
Some of you may have noticed that I rarely have strong negative views about anything related to Mike. I suppose that's just the way I am. The most I can usually manage is a mild dislike. There are exceptions of course, but I don't really like discussing them (I'd rather talk about things I do like).

I'm just thinking of how good it *should* have been (both the music and the cover). Mike has proved what he is capable of, so I feel he's underacheiving.
There are some things MO has done that has caused to react (like you do) with a mild dislike. Like TSODE and Tres Lunas. But the artwork has allways been decent (or better than decent). The MB cover really stands out.

BTW I'm getting curious about your "exceptions". Are you shure you don't want to share them? ;-)

Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Trillian Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 14:11

*shruggs* The music is absolutely great and the cover, it's not his best, but it's okay. Me loves colour... :P

--------------
~*Trillian*~
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 06:14

Quote (Trillian @ Aug. 21 2005, 14:11)
*shruggs* The music is absolutely great and the cover, it's not his best, but it's okay. Me loves colour... :P

My kids love the cover as well - so at least someone likes it  :)

I'm also interested that it doesn't seem to mention Mike's name - at least the one I have doesn't.

I notice the Amazon photo of the CD has his name at the top - is this a sticker or a later addition? - ruins the cover for me - glad mine doesn't have it.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 07:11

Yeah Mike`s name isn`t on the front cover that`s true.The weird thing is when I bought this album I didn`t even notice the bloody big bell on the front of it.I don`t know if my mind just refused to accept it or what?But it wasn`t untill I actualy sat down with the thing at home that the image finally began to register up there.

I think larstangmark may have been onto something when he brought Prince up earlier.He did a similar sort of thing with his monicker didn`t he.He hasn`t even got his name down the side of it either.So is it modesty,marketing or embarrasment???..God only knows.As far as the cover goes though, I`ll hazzard a guess at the third option.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 07:13

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 07 2008, 12:14)
I'm also interested that it doesn't seem to mention Mike's name - at least the one I have doesn't.

I have that one ;) It is just a sticker so could just take it off :)
About the cover; Im not a big fan of it either, but it have nice colours.
How could it look really...?
One i do like is this artwork someone did some years ago

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 07:35

Haha! You know what? It's better! Much better!  :laugh:

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 07:38

My, she's a cutie!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 07:40

See now I noticed the bell there straight away with that one.Then my gaze kind of wandered a little bit and I somehow forgot all about it again.

Whom ever shall lift the bell from the lake shall be henceforth told to put that bloomin` thing right back in there pretty damn sharpish buster.

I`m thinking of having a dodge round The Dodge`s Palace myself a little later on if I`m not too busy.Is that Buckingham Palace they`re refering to there I wonder?Or Tax Dodger`s Palace to give it it`s more correct title.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 07:56

Waargh, Tubular Man, couldn't you have put a warning for the ensuing horrors you were about to unleash?

Goodness. Okay, so I also think the cover for the Millennium Bell is quite atrociously kitsch, but at least it's not like Eloy's Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (work safe! ).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 10:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 07 2008, 07:56)
Goodness. Okay, so I also think the cover for the Millennium Bell is quite atrociously kitsch, but at least it's not like Eloy's Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (work safe! ).

That wasn't too good either, but least it's eye-catching.
The only cover that I can think of that's in the same league as MB is Nifelheim's first album. My band was on the same record label as them at the time and we got sent promo posters with the short-armed satan on  them. What were they thinking?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 11:32

I like your art.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 11:36

You have presented some beautiful saqsay covers, but in the olden days when Mozart and Bach were still on top of the charts, they
really knew how to reinforce the spirit of great art with vivid, colourful images.

A friend gave me that Mozart album as a present, I guess he didn't want me to go to work on mondays. What's worse, I see Bach has received the same treatment, and he doesn't even deserve it! Anyway, this is the worst of the worst.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 18:42

I was just thinking today about how superficial I must be because sometimes an album's cover affects how I think of the music within.  I take a look through some old topics and, lo and behold, this thread exists.

"The Millenium Bell": album-like it; cover-don't like it.  I always have to consciously remind myself that I'm fond of the album.  On first glance it always looks like a child's cut-out collage.  It's great to have color, but it looks busy and hasty.

Kay, the one you posted is superior in every respect.  It subtly references some of the songs that (sadly) didn't end up on the released version.  Kitchy?  What?  MO can stand on a blustery beach but an attractive nude woman can't kneel in a pond?

I'm pasting it onto my "Saqsaymaman" folder (unless I hear dissent from it's creator).
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 18:46

Quote (Bassman @ April 14 2008, 18:42)
I was just thinking today about how superficial I must be because sometimes an album's cover affects how I think of the music within.  I take a look through some old topics and, lo and behold, this thread exists.

"The Millenium Bell": album-like it; cover-don't like it.  I always have to consciously remind myself that I'm fond of the album.  On first glance it always looks like a child's cut-out collage.  It's great to have color, but it looks busy and hasty.

Kay, the one you posted is superior in every respect.  It subtly references some of the songs that (sadly) didn't end up on the released version.  Kitchy?  What?  MO can stand on a blustery beach but an attractive nude woman can't kneel in a pond?

I'm pasting it onto my "Saqsaymaman" folder (unless I hear dissent from it's creator).

Oh man - another missing track - can someone send me a version please?

On the cover - my kids like it - I'm neutral - some of it is kind of interesting for me.

Love the album.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 14 2008, 18:55

Quote (Bassman @ April 14 2008, 18:42)
MO can stand on a blustery beach but an attractive nude woman can't kneel in a pond?

NO.

Besides, she looks like she's about to do something with that bent tube that we're not supposed to see.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 18:56

:laugh:

I stand (or kneel) corrected!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 19:15

All we need now is a post from The Big Bell End..  :p  ;)
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 03 2008, 15:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 14 2008, 18:55)
she looks like she's about to do something with that bent tubeT

Thats got to be the best belly laugh I've had Sir Mustapha

....here on this forum.  

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
46 replies since Aug. 20 2005, 18:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net