Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Best Concerts, Search for the Best MO Concerts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Offworld Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 25 2002, 05:07

Hello fellow fans, you might know me from the Amarok e-mail list.  I have always been a big fan of live music \ concerts etc.

What is your favourite concert that Mike has ever performed?

I have heard some of them but not all.  I like the concerts where Mike plays tracks from Incantations, TSODE and TB3.

What are your faves?
:D
Profile PM 
morten Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2002, 06:52

For me it would certainly be the only MO concert I have been to and the first concert I went to. I was 14 and saw him in Oslo, Ekeberghallen 21. Sept 1984. (the discovery tour). It was great.
Profile PM 
Biggs Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2002, 11:09

14/7/99 Then & Now - NEC Birmingham

my 18th birthday so I went, it rocked :D
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2002, 10:55

The best concert for me was travelling 200 miles, all the way to the ApolloTheatre (which is now torn down) in Glasgow, Scotland, on his European April/May 1980 tour,

The sellout tour was from Copenhagen and end in Dubin,  Scotland was the nearest place for me to get the remaining tickets on his tour.

The highlight was a dirty great bell, for the finale of the Origional Tubular bells, it nearly fell off the stage.

What a night to remember, I was hooked on MO music and was amazed at the LIVE performance.

Wendy Roberts was the female backing singer at that time.
I have the 1980 tour guide still framed in my bedroom.

Cheers MO fan
:laugh:
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2002, 21:32

Having never been to a concert of MO, I can only go by the DVDs. They all rock! The Tubular Bells II or III premier would have been magical (mmm... Far Above the Clouds live.....! ) but the Millennium Bell Berlin Concert with the lightshow would have been amazing (bit cold though! )

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 17:57

Quote (raven4x4x @ Nov. 23 2002, 00:32)
Having never been to a concert of MO, I can only go by the DVDs.

Like me ;)
I vote for the TB II premiere...I like Mike's perfomance on that,although on the TB III premiere he looks better...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Neubi Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2002, 05:19

Hi there,

the best one I've been to was the TB III world premiere in London. It rained cats and dogs during the whole show but this masterpiece was really worth it...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2002, 13:22

The TB2 premiere was arguably the best setting for a MO concert but it wasn't particularly special apart from that. It was just a note for note rendition of TB2 with nothing else played. Some of the session musicians even looked bored when you watch the video. The fireworks were good though.

The TB3 premiere which unfortunately I didn't attend looked much, much more like it. A cool sexy young band who looked like they were really getting into it and at least here Mike was a bit more imaginative with his playing and added new guitar bits here and there, exactly what you want from a live performance. Oh and a good set list, pitty though It didn't all make it to the video and DVD.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2002, 04:43

I wouldn't say it was a note for note rendition- Blue Saloon was changed quite a bit: On the album it just had the same two guitars all the way through, while the live one had all the other guitarists playing. If you listen to tracks such as Dark Star and Clear Light there are subtle differences, but he added a whole extra reprise climax at the end! I'd hardly call that note for note. I do agree that the TBIII was more spectacular- TBII didn't have any solos that Mike could really break free on, which Man in the Rain, Outcast and Far Above the Clouds allowed him to do on TBIII.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Aug. 25 2002, 05:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net