Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Bell seen on the album cover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2004, 13:28

I checked the FAQ, and didn't find this in there (must not be frequent). Just wondered if anyone knew the story behind the bent pipe on the original TB cover.

Is it an actual bell, and as such is it playable? Or is it actually a piece of a motorcycle exhaust system? Or, is it a photo trick done in the days before digital and such an artifact never existed? If it did exist, what became of it?

(And no, I will not next ask what solar system the small grassy planetoid on the HR cover is in, or where the photo for the Crises cover was taken!;).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 18 2004, 14:13

I read info about it in this site... in Richard's info about the album in the Discography section. If I recall correctly, Trevor Key did produce the 'bell' out of a brass pipe to shoot the photo, and it was... stolen, I think. But the fact is that it is real, and no, I don't think it was built out of a real tubular bell and I don't think it would be playable. It just seems to be some random pipe disguised as a bell.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 18 2004, 15:02

It's a piece of chrome tubing. Trevor Key most likely shot this under artificial light in his studio. He then had to carefully cut around the outline of the bell from this photo and stick it on the picture of the waves. Very primative!

A similar super-imposing technique was allegedly used to put Mike on the beach in Menorca for the cover of Incantations, though there is less evidence of this

I would like to know what happened to the bell model after the photo was taken. Is this the same one that we see in the TB3 album sleve?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 18 2004, 17:56

Quote (Jammer @ June 18 2004, 21:02)
Is this the same one that we see in the TB3 album sleeve?

No, the bell in TBIII is a model build by Model Solutions (which is AFAIK a studio which makes miniatures for films and special effects). I think it's a miniaturized version of the original 'bell'.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 18 2004, 18:41

The TBIII one is quite large, as I recall. It was indeed made by Model Solutions, they do a lot of work for album sleeves, and much of it not miniature, as you'll see.

The tubing used for Trevor Key's original was around 1.5 inches (around 3.8cm) in diameter, so it wouldn't actually have been much different in size to how it appears on the LP cover.

It would certainly have been taken in Trevor's studio, I would say lit from about 45 degrees on top and slightly to camera left, with a diffused light source...perhaps a small softbox? There's still a fair directionality to the light, and for the underside of the bell to appear dark, there'd have to be very little spilling onto there. It could have been taken against a black velvet background, but note how the underside in parts closer to the camera is not black but slightly blue, making me think it's reflecting the background.
Perhaps more of a clue comes from the cover of The Orchestral Tubular Bells - not the same shot, but it could be a similar setup. The lighting is different there, but there are similarly coloured reflections in the bell (but note how there are also some objects reflected in it - I'm not sure what, but they appear as dark patches).
I'd guess it was probably taken with a fairly wide angle lens to exaggerate the perspective. It would also have given Trevor a helpfully closer minimum focus distance (and a greater depth of field, which he'd not have achieved with the use of close-up accessories like bellows, extension tubes or a macro lens...but I don't think he'd have needed to have been so close as to need anything of that sort).

As Sir Mustapha has already said, it was stolen from Trevor Key's studio, though not immediately afterwards, so he had posession of it for a fair amount of time. Who knows where it is now...

Being metal tubing, it would resonate when struck, if hung correctly, but it wouldn't necessarily be particularly musical sounding - it certainly wasn't designed to be.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 21 2004, 05:09

Oh, so it was never recovered?
Hmm, were they after t hat specifically or did they just steal random stuff?

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2011, 14:48

Readers of this topic may benefit from also reading the topic here:-
http://tubular.net/forums....y137773

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 18 2004, 13:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net