Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: the bass on tb2003, the bass on tb2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2003, 13:14

Hi
Have you heard how MO plaed the bass on the live recording - to me it's that bass he's playing 30 years later - it's not techno or anything it's just time who has caught up with Mike
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 14:16

You mean on Exposed? Yeah, I was listening to that recently and I thought it was amazing just how different it is from the original. The new TB is very likely to be more similar to the 'real thing'. Not sure about the bass right now, well I am sure it doesn't sound quite like that new one but it might go in a similar direction. At the time, the arrangement of TB heard on Exposed was certainly up to date, as are Guilty and Platinum, for that matter.
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 14:19

well yes and no - i mean the live performence at qe - hall
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 14:45

Didn't know there's a recording of that!
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 15:27

ftp://amarok.huntingdon.edu/Tb2edinb/
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 15:28

ups - that's the tv concert - but still the same
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 15:50

Tb2edinb - that sounds like the TBII concert, not the original TB concert. There's also the TV performance of TB1, of course.
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: May 15 2003, 14:06

The bass on Tubular Bells is a rock kind of bass, so you would naturaly play it as Oldfield played it now, not so calm and restrained as he did 30 years ago. Maby this could sound to us a bit ugly and too much, but maby it's just we aren't used to it, and then again, I was never sure if I actually quite like that bass line anyway - no matter how he plays it.

Greetings
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 16 2003, 21:55

My brother (who plays guitar a lot) saw the video of Mike recording the bass for TBII. He said he thinks Mike plays the bass in a guitar style. What do you people think?

I personally think Mike plays the bass very beautifully, especially the one I mentioned above. Although I also love that 70's "low" and "raw" sound on TB73 and on the Second House performance.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 18 2003, 13:15

The way he plays it there is very guitar-like, with the way he's using hammer-ons like that. His bass playing style is invariably quite unlike that of most bassists, but there are times when his playing is more 'standard' and 'bass-like'.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 06:00

Mike is a real genius of bass guitar (nad of ocurse electric guitar)

he plays with fingers (the standard bass playing) but as well his playing really really fast ("ommadawn" finale in part 1)
sometimes he slaps (the lakeqe2) but mostly plays with a pick.
i love his bass, he is a playing really melodic,but also gives a solid ground for the song.Listen how poetic is bass line in "the time has come" or "the lake". now he is using almost only synth bass (since tb2) but on tb2003 he returned to bass guitar (heavy wal bass). For me his is a guitar player who just got the bass and plays it like a guitar,but plays it really really magnificent.
Anyway, Bass on Mike!!!!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
10 replies since May 07 2003, 13:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net