Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Amarok Phenomenon, The least sold and the most acclaimed!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bob the screamer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 16:17

Quote (Hastengas @ Jan. 08 2011, 11:16)
Amarok certainly in his best 5 albums released so far....I'm certain the best is still yet to come.

Sadly, I don't think so. I think Amarok is the best album he has made so far, and TBA II is almost as good. I think he had his peak at that time (beginning of 90's). After this, I have found only TBAIII and MOTS interesting. Highly personal opinion of course, but I really like the most progressive work, where there's a lot of details and a lot of dynamics. Although, I must say I got suprised when MOTS came out :)

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 18:48

Welcome to the forum - Bob (said in Rowan Atkinson voice  :laugh:  ) Why should Mr O have "peaked"? The usual trend for composers is for their music to get better and better (with a few bumps along the way) as they learn more and more about their art. I can think of only one composer who is considered not to fall into that pattern, and that's Mendelssohn.
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2011, 03:48

Thank you for the welcome and the black adder reference :D. Well, I feel that in all the work after the 90's, he has not put the same amount of attention to details in the music.  This is of course just another way of making music, but I don't feel the same complexity, dynamic and variation have been present in the last 20 years or so, and these are the characteristics I really like in Mike's music. I don't want to be provocative, this is just my personal opinion :)

--------------
New free album out:

Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2011, 04:01

Quote (bob the screamer @ Jan. 26 2011, 03:48)
Thank you for the welcome and the black adder reference :D. Well, I feel that in all the work after the 90's, he has not put the same amount of attention to details in the music.  This is of course just another way of making music, but I don't feel the same complexity, dynamic and variation have been present in the last 20 years or so, and these are the characteristics I really like in Mike's music. I don't want to be provocative, this is just my personal opinion :)

I like you, young Bob, you've got *****  :)

Seriously, it could be that you're equating quality with the length of the works, and observing that because Mr O hasn't produced any long pieces for a while he's on the decline. But that would be like saying that because late period Beethoven didn't produce much orchestral work (except for the 9th symphony and the Missa Solemnis) he too was on the decline. But it's generally accepted now (although it wasn't then) that Beethoven's third period works are his best. In my opinion - and to give just one example - Mike Oldfield has seldom produced anything as original and exquisitely constructed as the recent little piece "Firefly".
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2011, 05:47

As I said, I know this is just another way of making music... I'm not saying it is worse, just that the way he seems to be going doesn't appeal to me personally :). But also, I'm ready to get surprised... MOTS was IMO much better than I had expected :)

--------------
New free album out:

Profile PM 
64 replies since June 03 2004, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net