Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Amarok Phenomenon, The least sold and the most acclaimed!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bluepeter Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 19 2004, 00:21

geez...
the fact of replying to that subject should give at least for the people who know me from elsewhere how "phenomenal" Amork can be ....
And, yes, there is a Vinyl release of Amork, though i hardly stand getting up and switching sides when it starts to get interesting  :(
Can't listen to it every day, but just reading that threat something irresistable makes me to sleepwalk over to my CD-folders....  :cool:
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 19 2004, 06:38

Hehe, right - I found it on vinyl a while back but I haven't listened to it once yet! :) Amarok is the one album that is definitely better on CD...
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 19 2004, 11:57

Yep - reading this thread (or is it 'threat' as Bluepeter put it?) definitely made me reach into my CD collection & put Amarok on whilst working on my computer - didn't get much work done as I relaxed back on my chair ,closed my eyes and enjoyed the ride! :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 19 2004, 13:06

There are two things I'm dying to find: an LP of Tubular Bells and one of Amarok. What's worse is that I've seen a TB LP already, but couldn't buy it. I suppose the Amarok one is too rare, but if I ever saw one, I'd have it!

Perhaps the biggest inconvenient is not the switching sides thing, but the fact that it's so long. Squeezing 30 minutes of music in each side is not trivial, and the quality must be rather poor. But who cares? I'd still buy it anyway. It should definitely be a unique experience.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 19 2004, 15:22

Are LP's of TB hard to find? I've not been seeking them out, having one from way back then, but I recall when I have checked Oldfield sections in used record bins, I've always seen TB there.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: June 19 2004, 19:53

Vinyl TB. I wore out so many of them (3 actually) that i have 4 TB's on vinly. 2 of which have the original Virgin label. The other two have the later green/red virgin label. Actually as Islands was the first MO album released after the invention of CD, all the albums prior to that i have on vinly. Including the Quad Boxed and Quad Exposed.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 20 2004, 10:44

TOBY wrote:
There is (or rather was) certainly no influence from the internet, after all Amarok came out and flopped in 1990.

I wonder what percentage of sales has occurred since the advent of the Internet? I'd never have known about Amarok without it. Perhaps last year I'd have stumbled across it in a record shop in Berlin or London, but without Amarok, I might not have even been in a record shop.

Anyhow, one summer morning, nearly seven years after its release, Amarok arrived in the mail from a friend in Germany. The only thing I knew about Amarok was that it was supposed to be one of Mike's major works and it hadn't been released here. I found the thing weird, funny, magickal, beautiful, and aggressive in spots. Ommadawn is a very emotional trip with resolution at the end, and Amarok is similar to this, IMHO, with some anger management work going on.  I've been listening to it quite a bit lately, of sorts. :)

BTW, did anyone listen to the vinyl before the CD? If yes, are you able to listen to the CD seamlessly? I'm afraid that I'd be thinking, "Oh! That's the point where the vinyl has to be flipped over" each time!  :O

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 20 2004, 11:16

Quote (Inkanta @ June 20 2004, 10:44)
BTW, did anyone listen to the vinyl before the CD? If yes, are you able to listen to the CD seamlessly? I'm afraid that I'd be thinking, "Oh! That's the point where the vinyl has to be flipped over" each time!  :O

I get that feeling at any time I'm listening to any "two sided" album on CD - even the ones I have never, ever heard on vinyl!

Albums like those are great because you can pause the CD in the middle if you need to go and get a cup of coffee, or anything. I hate the way they remastered the Moody Blues albums, crossfading the side one closer into the side two opener. I absolutely hate that!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 20 2004, 13:13

BTW, I've been thinking for quite a while... I don't believe this "least sold" thing. The only thing I remember reading from Mike himself is that it was "probably" his least selling album. Maybe it was the one with the poorest initial sales, but with all the cult, or at least semi-cult status the album has gathered by now, I find it hard to believe that it would have sold less than Heaven's Open or Guitars or maybe even Voyager...
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 20 2004, 14:09

Quote (Holger @ June 20 2004, 12:13)
BTW, I've been thinking for quite a while... I don't believe this "least sold" thing. The only thing I remember reading from Mike himself is that it was "probably" his least selling album. ... I find it hard to believe that it would have sold less than Heaven's Open or Guitars or maybe even Voyager...

It would be interesting to do a current analysis of Mike's record sales, worldwide. Anyone need a class project? :-) This is the type of research one could possibly pay Billboard to do, or perform herself/himself if there were access to the right resources. Ideally, the information would be great in a spreadsheet that could be sorted by country (or at least where the top 10 were and "other"), continents, year, title, other??? Don't musicians or their managers track this type of thing?

Regarding Voyager, in that it enjoyed an extensive release and was up for a Grammy nomination (New Age), probably more copies were sold. That tends to be the work from which US National Public Radio extracts sound bytes for some of its news programming, so it continues to get exposure here.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2007, 11:08

Interesting to read what you people have to say about this.
I just bought the album and I'm listening to it for the first time right now!

Weird huh?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 15:26

Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 23 2007, 11:08)

And what did you think of it, imhotep? *imagines befuddled expressions, involuntary twitching, and maybe a 'WTF?' or two* Have you listened for a second time?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 17:43

I've been trying to get into Amarok since December '04.  I did hear Amarok was Ommadawn II, and I love Ommadawn, but Amarok I can't get into.  I guess this happened as I was driving when I first tried to listen to Amarok, expecting it to be similar in style to Ommadawn. I nearly crashed my car, but luckily I was in a 30mph zone when that happened.   Try as I might , but I just can't get into Amarok, maybe I was expecting another ommadawn but found something completely different :O  :/ .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 18:13

Weird how you can become so interested in how other people are going to react to a piece of music. I would also love to know what Imhotep thought of Amarok. And moonchildhippy, I love that you are still trying to connect with Amarok. That feeling that there is something you are missing that others already *get* (I have the same with ommadawn. I know others love it but I don't get it yet  :/  ).

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 18:36

It has aged very badly indeed - I think it is one of his worst albums of all.  An interesting experiment, but I hope he doesn't repeat it.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 19:34

Quote (Sweetpea @ Nov. 24 2007, 15:26)
Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 23 2007, 11:08)

And what did you think of it, imhotep? *imagines befuddled expressions, involuntary twitching, and maybe a 'WTF?' or two* Have you listened for a second time?

I have still only listened to it once all the way through.
I had heard the 'Ommadawn type percussion section' on various compilations before and I really like that part.

I like other sections too but I have to listen a couple of more times to digest it all. Sometimes it sounds like background sounds for a trippy film.

I'll get back to it soon.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 19:42

Quote (captainjjb @ Nov. 24 2007, 23:36)
It has aged very badly indeed - I think it is one of his worst albums of all.  An interesting experiment, but I hope he doesn't repeat it.

What makes you say that?
Personally I think it's one of his best.  So incredible in its seamless disconnection, and it can always put me in a good mood (and if it can do that, it must be good by my reckoning! )  :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2007, 14:22

Quote (captainjjb @ Nov. 24 2007, 18:36)
It has aged very badly indeed - I think it is one of his worst albums of all.

What do you mean by "aged very badly", captainjjb? If you mean that Amarok is 'dated', I disagree - only the Thatcheresque monologue marks the piece as being of it's time. But perhaps you only meant that the album's appeal for you has lessened dramatically through the years?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2007, 15:38

oh it's dateless alright.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2007, 16:09

Like I once said before,Amarok sums perfectly Mike's personality,not only musically  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
64 replies since June 03 2004, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net