Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "That Tune" in the storm: traditional?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Fred Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2008, 12:15

I need some help from Mike's British / Irish fans...  I've searched through the archives for this question, and didn't find anything, so I hope that this hasn't been covered before.

Regarding HR's "storm" segment:  there's a tune I'm trying to identify.  It first appears at ~ 11:04, and runs to 11:57ish.  It appears again at 14:43 and runs to the end of the storm.  I'll call it "That Tune."   :laugh:

Here's the question.  When I was very young (and that's a looong time ago), my parents here in the US had a stereo album, from the early days of stereo, called "Songs of the British Isles."  They played that album a lot, and I grew up listening to it for several years.  The album was filled with traditional songs and tunes, sea shanties, reels and jigs and the like.  So the Sailor's Hornpipe was very familiar to me.  :)

When I hear That Tune in the storm, I'm instantly taken back to that Songs of the British Isles album.  I'd swear That Tune is Mike's re-working of something I'd heard on my parent's album.  Of course, the album is long gone, and there's no way to know what was actually on it.

Anyone more familiar with this musical tradition have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--------------
[A]t some point it always occurs to [artists]... that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, they can be successful to the outside world but not... to themselves.  That's the moment an artist decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. ~ S.Jobs
Profile PM 
0 replies since May 01 2008, 12:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net