Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: That singer...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 28 2000, 22:09

This is something I've been thinking over for a while, and I thought I'd open it up for discussion...

We've already gone crazy over the 'lyrics' that turn up in part 2 of HR, but...I'm wondering who's singing them. It just sounds rather masculine to me...

(And you know something...the singing sounds a bit like Steve Hillage :P)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2000, 05:53

According to the (original) sleevenotes [should we believe 'em? smile] the voices are by Clodagh Simmonds (Symonds?) and Sally Oldfield...same as on Ommadawn. IMHO it sounds masculine because Ms Simmonds (Symonds?) has a very deep voice...listen to her on the "Sondela" bits of Amarok. wink

P.S. Never heard that Hillage could sing. tongue

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 18:17

I agree it could be her - the bit she sings on Ommadawn sounds similarly masculine. But maybe not quite so much - that was what I was trying to decide...
Part of the reason why I say this is because I took a listen to a Tom Newman track and the voice sounded quite similar. It's probably co-incidence and I should have no reason to doubt that it's Clodagh, etc etc. But it still makes me think wink

P.S. Don't ask too much about Hillage, else it'll end up with you listening to his music...and we don't want that to happen, do we? wink
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2001, 03:01

Listen to Amarok 33:15 ? The masculine voice singing "toll,toll,toll", isn´t it the one on HR? Don´t know exactly...
Could this be Clodagh Simonds?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 17:48

Dervish...that voice actually sings "torn, torn, torn" and to me it sounds really too masculine to be Clodagh. After my first listening of it, I actually thought it was Mike... smile If it's really Clodagh, then her voice has undergone something like a pitch-shifting, i.e. it has been slowed down. [Korgscrew: pitch-shifting and speed-changing of voices was already done digitally in 1989...Amarok came out in 1990...it was no more like in the old days. smile]

--------------
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 17:58

Actually two weeks before I still believed Clodagh is a man...
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 07:29

Clodagh Simmonds a man????!!!!!

Next you'll be saying that Jon Anderson's a woman!!!!!!!!!

I prefer to appreciate how unique these singers sound rather than fuss over what gender they sound like!!
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 17:51

No, don´t get me wrong...
I just wasn´t sure about the name because I haven´t heared a similar one before...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 17:56

Thanks for the info Ugo, but...why are you telling me? I first came into contact with an ultra harmoniser a fair while ago... wink
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 18:32

Korgscrew: I was telling you that because of all the fuss that you and I and some other people smile created over the Sana Rosana voice in TII, on my Singers in FMO topic. You said it was vocoded, I replied it was slowed down, someone else replied that this couldn't be done in 1982 [that's what "old days" in my previous post refers to... smile] because changing the speed of a tape would create a bad detuning effect on the voice, and you, if I remember it well, agreed with this last reply. A very big mess smile. So I thought that, in this case, I'd better get straight on what I meant since the beginning... smile

P.S. Sorry, this is not meant as a rant at you. I'm joking. wink I know you're extremely precise.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 18:40

By the way: I don't think that in 1982 (or, as long as it matters, in 1974), changing the speed of a tape with vocals would sound bad. The Beatles did it lots of times back in the 60s, and there are some 70s songs by Lucio Battisti [an Italian 70s-80s singer-songwriter, who was very famous down here smile] using similar effects on his voice, all done with tapes and studio filters, and they all sound very good. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 20:48

It all depends how much you slow it down by. There comes a point where it doesn;t work any more. Of course, there does with digital at the moment, unless you use one of the latest devices or plug ins which are a bit better at it.
But this is a bit off topic really wink
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 06 2014, 09:10

I guess the singer in question was Clodagh then? It was in the Elements sleeve notes.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: April 08 2014, 07:50

I always assumed it was MIKE!

(I'm positive it's Mike doing the Amarok parts discussed above)
Profile PM 
13 replies since Oct. 28 2000, 22:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net