Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: THAT Opening Theme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2001, 21:05

Hi all.

As we've all discussed before, Mike keeps returning to his first solo release, Tubular Bells, when he creates a new album (which often produces praise (through an update of the theme, a new take on it) or anger amongst fans). While some sections of Tubular Bells though have been left by the wayside, the most famous sections keep popping up in Mike's other works, most notably of course the opening theme. So this is what this topic is about. That opening, the "Exorcist" theme if you have to be like that. And basically, where, apart from the original Tubular Bells, does it pop up?

The easy ones:
  • Tubular Bells II (Sentinel)
  • Tubular Bells III (Source of Secrets, Secrets)
  • Crises (Crises opening- easy because it says about this in the album notes)

Others:
  • The Songs of Distant Earth (Tubular World- well, I suppose this is easy as well)
  • Five Miles Out (Five Miles Out, Taurus II (I think- the section straight after Maggie sings "Here's a song to take with you" is reminiscent to say the least of this theme)).

Any others, because I think I've missed some? Also, are these uses valid? (ie, Should something like Tubular World be on a Tubular Bells-unrelated album?). And of course, is there going to be a piece along the lines of this theme in Sonic Virtual Reality? (Stupid question, of course there probably will be).

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2001, 10:32

In answer to your questions Tim:

The use of THAT opening theme on "SODE" is appropriate. "Tubular World" corresponds to a section of Arthur C. Clarke's novel where a man and woman are exploring a spaceship, the corridors are shaped like Tubes. So the Tubular reference is appropriate there.

You have missed a couple. There is "Tubular X" which Mike did for the soundtrack to "X Files: Fight The Future", it combines the "TB" opening theme with the "X Files" opening theme. Bits off "TB1" and "TB2" have also popped up as B Sides on singles (the remixes of "Moonshine" on the "Hibernaculum" single, fragments of TB Opening Theme tossed into the singles dance mixes of "Let There Be Light" and "Women Of Ireland", and electronically distorted.)
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2001, 18:17

Bits off "TB1" and "TB2" have also popped up as B Sides on singles (the remixes of "Moonshine" on the "Hibernaculum" single, fragments of TB Opening Theme tossed into the singles dance mixes of "Let There Be Light" and "Women Of Ireland", and electronically distorted.

If I only I had those singles- or downloaded the appropriate rarities files. I didn't know them. I think I was mainly referring to the albums, but mainly because I didn't know about singles using the theme.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2001, 22:25

Although slightly altered, in TB2 the track "Clear Light" seems to follow THAT theme. It almost continues where "Sentinel" left off.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 11 2001, 23:52

I know someone who claims he can find either the rhythm or the melody from the TB opening in every piece of music Mike's done...not that I necessarily believe him...depends how hard you look I suppose.

It pops up in other places on tubular bells as well as the intro - like the way it's echoed in the guitar at the very end of part 1.

I've heard it in other albums apart from the one's that have been mentioned here already...just I don't remember where exactly. Somewhere on Discovery maybe...
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 12 2001, 06:00

And in Five Miles Out, right at the beginning, just after the drums come in.

This is only on some mixes, though. I'm not sure why.
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2001, 12:18

The vibraphone on "Incantations Part four" always reminds me of Tubular Bells - Theme.
Same with the opening theme of "Platinum Part one".
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:37

its sort of his trademark. when he uses it people know its him

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Shingebis Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 18:49

The theme at 4:35 in TWC is another one which sort of falls into this category - it's the same rhythm as that section from Crises, anyway.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 16:05

Perhaps a bit of a stretch, but the section of "Peace on Earth" beginning around 1:00 with the "Na na na na na na na na..." reminds me rythmically of the Tubular Bells trademark, slowed down.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 12:32

and don't forget : Music for the videowall (at 46 sec.) :)

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since Feb. 09 2001, 21:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net