Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: That bit in Conflict< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ajf Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2002, 13:55

About 1min 7secs into Conflict there is a short solo on what sounds a bit like a pipe, just before the guitar comes back in.

Despite QE2 being a new album to me that snippet sounds familiar. Does anyone know if it is a Mike Oldfield original or a bit of a classical piece from somewhere? Thanks
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2002, 17:01

It's a classical piece by John Sebastian Bach - don't know the exact title - I only got a slightly modernized arrangement on an older John Williams (btw. another excellent classical guitar player) album called 'Travelling', where the piece is just called 'J.S.B'.
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 10 2002, 02:27

It's from Bach's suite number 2 in B minor - that little tune is known as 'Badinerie'. You might like to have a look at the relevant page in the discography.

I quite like those arrangements on 'Travelling'...very funky stuff (there's a kind of kitsch value to them now, I think). If I remember rightly, John Williams plays some electric guitar on that album - it sounded a little bit like Mike when he plays with a clean sound, to me. I think it's probably that particular kind of delicate touch.
Profile PM 
ajf Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 16:18

Thanks for the replies and for the pointer to the discograpy too - I shall look there first in future :/
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 17:48

To A.R. Schulz: is that John Williams solo or Sky?  ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 22:23

I'm not the guy you were asking but...

Travelling was an album which John Williams did solo in 1978, with production and arrangements by Stanley Myers. The album features Herbie Flowers on bass and Francis Monkman on keyboards, who both joined him in Sky the year after. John Williams had first recorded with them in 1971 (together with Tristan Fry), and he'd continued to work with them on more rock orientated projects - Sky grew out of that.

Another name to feature on Travelling is Vic Flick. Who's that? Well...Mr Flick is none other than the man who played the guitar on the James Bond theme.
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2009, 04:13

this track was available as a ringtone in old nokia cellphones (3210)
xexexe

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 09 2002, 13:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net