Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tell Us Something We Don't Know, (shocking and not so shocking secrets)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2008, 12:21

Quote (Harmono @ July 31 2008, 11:53)
Sao Paulo, now there's a nice little village with a population twice the size of this whole country where I live in. :O

Btw. I believe Scatterplot resides in The States, Texas to be more exact.  :)

Just corrected where Scatterplot lives in my original post.And yep,the population here is soooo huge...traffic jams are part of my dalily routine,sometimes it can reach about 200 kilometers of traffic jams around the city,bit impressive.

I can imagine Mikey boy here and saying,"how can you live in this mess?" haha.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 31 2008, 14:51

Quote (arron11196 @ July 31 2008, 05:19)
Oh my goodness, you should make yourself! Such a brilliant storyline, musical composition... everything! Best game ever made!

Well, I don't play many video/computer games these days. I recall blubbering quite a bit when Aeris died, and I agree the music was very good. I found the 'materia' system a bit overwhelming, though.

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 31 2008, 08:47)
...whatever wiped your save files did you the biggest favour of your life. You should get away from RPGs. FAST.

LOL. It was hard, but I think I've become unaddicted to RPGs. I even gave my RPG soundtracks to my nephew. Still, I have fond memories of numerous all-nighters.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 31 2008, 17:49

I've really been playing very, very few games lately; mostly the odd Flash game and lots of Solitaire for Linux (I've got PySol, a package with dozens upon dozens of solitaire games - nerdy, addictive stuff). Oh, and Atari games on an emulator from time to time. And if there's one game category that I want to stay away from, it's RPG.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 31 2008, 18:37

Quote (Sweetpea @ July 31 2008, 19:51)
Quote (arron11196 @ July 31 2008, 05:19)
Oh my goodness, you should make yourself! Such a brilliant storyline, musical composition... everything! Best game ever made!

Well, I don't play many video/computer games these days. I recall blubbering quite a bit when Aeris died, and I agree the music was very good. I found the 'materia' system a bit overwhelming, though.

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 31 2008, 08:47)
...whatever wiped your save files did you the biggest favour of your life. You should get away from RPGs. FAST.

LOL. It was hard, but I think I've become unaddicted to RPGs. I even gave my RPG soundtracks to my nephew. Still, I have fond memories of numerous all-nighters.

For you, Sweetpea  :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEfDUx0kyo

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 01:25

Sir M, these days I like to play casual 'hidden object' type PC games, such as "Mystery Case Files". I've sorta been missing "World of Warcraft", though.

Arron, thanks for that! I'd never heard an orchestral version of that score before.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 04:25

The truth is, Austin Texas is a sh^&hole of a place to live in. You were correct in the population density. I really refer to this town as Jaurez now. Oh God it was a garden in 1980 when I came here. But....I'm not a racist at all......this is just empirical data......this town is all Mexican now. We are not talkin' sweet central american or south american beauties here, we are taliking 'TEX-MEX". My main peave: You mispronounce a hispanic name, they will lecture you for an hour about the pronunciation of "Castillo", or whatever. But you never see them saying, "Oh Gilberto, we must honor their customs and language. If you meet a MARRIED woman, NEVER refer to her as MISS. If you feel lost, just use Ms." They seem to control everything. This is why I'm thinking about moving to Canada. It was the arrogant white business man exploiting cheap labor that allowed places like Austin to become sewers. Enjoy it jarheads, I'm paying for it.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2008, 12:43

Quote (Gladstoner @ July 21 2008, 20:09)
I am the walrus.

Nice one Mr Paul Mcartney!  :cool:

: My father's a pub singer and has 15 children.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2008, 13:53

I have a white Persian cat, a female named Vicki, who leaves white hairs all over my house.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2008, 13:59

Quote (Sweetpea @ July 31 2008, 07:05)
Quote (Ugo @ July 25 2008, 18:44)
I had a sort-of motorcycle accident too, very recently - In early June of this year.

Goodness, Ugo, that was only last month then? I'm not surprised it still hurts. Thank goodness you had protective gear.

@ Sweetpea, I only saw this now, so I'm replying now...

Yes, I was silly (or stupid) enough not to bump into something on the road (or having someone bump into me), but to bump into a parked car! It was entirely my fault... I was looking in the rearview mirror when it happened.

My helmet was what really saved my life. Several of my friends tease me because it's big and unfit for a Vespa driver (it's supposed to be a motocross helmet), but I won't ever give up using it. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 03:46

Today, I compared scars with a female colleague. And I'd always thought that was just a guy thing.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 09 2008, 16:32

im not tubular

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2008, 18:43

@ Kay: :cool: Then what are you? :D

When I was 25, I worked for a year in a FIAT car factory near where I live. It was part of what they call in Italy a "Work Scholarship", i.e. the State has young graduates work for a year in a place of their own choice, to 'get a feeling' of what's actually like, so maybe they can apply for those jobs. I chose that car factory because a friend of my dad's worked there, so he kind-of recommended me. I was just doing office work in there - inserting car data into computer databates, making photocopies, sending car ownership papers to car buyers, etc. However, every time I wandered around the workshop or the actual car building sites - even if I just had to deliver letters or papers to the workmen - I was obliged by the bosses to wear mechanic's blue overalls, a hard hat like this one (mine was bright red) and sometimes even goggles. I thought it was a bit ridiculous, but then I got used to it. And ultimately I kept the bright red hard hat and the overalls as souvenirs, and I still have them. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 07:16

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 10 2008, 00:43)
@ Kay: :cool: Then what are you? :D

man  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 13:14

Sir Mustapha Posted: July 23 2008, 08:41
Dirk Star, you pretty much pioneered the whole music sharing P2P illegal downloads MP3 is KILLING the music industry! crisis there.

Dirk Star, perhaps we should call you 'Napster' after your confession?

Edited by clotty on Oct. 10 2008, 13:20

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 17:49

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 07 2008, 07:46)
Today, I compared scars with a female colleague. And I'd always thought that was just a guy thing.

No it's also quite a girlie thing too Sweetpea, I've compared scars with my boyfriend :cool: ,he had a motorbike accident a number of years ago, before I'd met him , and surgery following this, when a motorist was on the wrong side of the road, unfortunately his Triumph Chopper was a write off, lovely bike, I've seen a pic , and I say  how much I'd like to ride on his chopper  ;) .

I had a scar from when I was about 9 or so I was on holiday with my parents in Cromer Norfolk, and I was playing on a slide, I'd climbed the steps to the top, and I was unable to release my leg from behind me, so I came down the slide at great speed, and fell off the end, and cut my knee, I still have a scar.

I'm an arctophile this means that I like/collect Teddy Bears  :) .

Since it was discussed I keep tropical fish, I've a Plecostomus Catfish called Charlie, 2 Leopard Corydoras catfish, and 16 Glowlight Tetras , and 7 Cardinal Tetras.  All of my fish are quite elderly , being at least7 or 8 years old, most tropical fish live about 3 years.  I did adopt 15 Glowlights and 5 Cardinals the other day as my aquarium was looking rather bare, as my fish were all pensioners.
I had Charlie as a baby back in Dec'93 and he was 2 inches long, he's now 11 1/2, and in the Amazon Plecos are food fish.

I twice drove two British Railways Class 31 diesel locomotives http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/index_31.htm, when I wasn't a train driver  

When I do get to move up to Warwickshire I'll volunteer along with my boyfriend at the "Battlefield Railway" in nearby Leicestershire, see here http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/chrissimmons/

None of that namby pamby stuff of working in the tea rooms or ticket office, I want to be a guard or driver  :cool:   :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 22:14

I only have 1/2 a right foot due to a motorcycle accident at 16. Now I'm riding again 30 years later. How dumb is that? And I got it because of gas prices in August. I rode it to today and every gas station had $3.09 unleaded. One had $2.99!!!! Why has gas dropped so much recently?

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 02:55

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 11 2008, 02:14)
I only have 1/2 a right foot due to a motorcycle accident at 16. Now I'm riding again 30 years later. How dumb is that? And I got it because of gas prices in August. I rode it to today and every gas station had $3.09 unleaded. One had $2.99!!!! Why has gas dropped so much recently?

Idon't know, but I did read that a barrel of oil has reached its lowest price for 13 months, I've worked it out that petrol is £4.86 a gallon, and diesel £5.37, which is going the right way.  As I get alot of pelvic area pain I often rely on my car, as I feel pain get weak if I walk too far, and I don't like going out too far alone incase it happens, and I fall over.
$3.09 I think that's just under £2 a gallon, I'm wondering why petrol is so cheap in the US compared to what us English pay.

Still if it keeps on going down like this I'll be able to see more of my wonderful boyfriend         :)  :D .

Jim do you have a prosethic foot? as I 'd have thought with 1/2 a foot it would be difficult to balance. I wouldn't say it's stupid riding a motorbike again. I don't know what caused your accident at 16, usually with young lads it's excessive testosterone, or an idiot of a motorist, but 30 years on your older and wiser, Happy Riding.

I did want to get my bike licence at 19, I think this was partly to rebel against my mum, and my nan who thought motorbikes are "dangerous", it's not the bike that's dangerous, but how you ride it, and motorists not seeing you. I did ride a Suzuki A100 a few times, good fun, but I've never got round to getting my bike licence, one day I will, and for me  an old British bike would be my preferred transport.  My neighbour is about 72 and he rides round on a Harley Davidson    :cool: ,  his attitude is one of "grow up me - never", I agree I'm going to rebel in my old age
:cool:  :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 04:12

No, I just learned to adapt my balance/gait to what I had left. It took about a year, but I was walking fine again, just some intermittent pain over the years, I learned to manage the pain from the show "Kung Fu". "You must make pain your freind, this way it cannot hurt you". Pain to me is like background noise, hiss on a cassette tape, if you want to enjoy the music your brain eventually filters out the hiss and you ignore it. Until CD's come out and you 86 the tapes.
    Nah, the bike thing 30 years ago was not to do with testosterone, although I did a lot of wheelies and donuts on my beloved Suzuki. I had logged many miles on it, and it, as well as I, were very agile. It was my trusty steed. I had just gotten my paper license awaiting my picture license in the mail. Me and my freind rode on it to school(10th grade), and when school let out I needed to cross a highway to get to the street I used to go home. I had school busses behind me, jocks in their Camaros yelling....but there was no break in the traffic I had to cross. Once I saw an opportunity, I gunned it to cross that highway and we got hit from the right by a large Caddilac. It was pure miscalculation plus the urgings of the jocks behind me honking. So I lost some flesh. All these years later, my comfort zone is about 40-50mph. If the speed limit is 45mph and the road is curvy, I just do 30mph, and if the cars behind me don't like it, oh well. Yeah.......I guess I grew up.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 04:24

BTW, what's up with your pelvic pain? Did you break your hip in recent years? If so, there are ways to do certain exercises which are therapeutic and conducive to reducing that pain. Ignore me if it's something you don't want to talk about.....
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 08:38

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 11 2008, 08:12)
No, I just learned to adapt my balance/gait to what I had left. It took about a year, but I was walking fine again, just some intermittent pain over the years, I learned to manage the pain from the show "Kung Fu". "You must make pain your freind, this way it cannot hurt you". Pain to me is like background noise, hiss on a cassette tape, if you want to enjoy the music your brain eventually filters out the hiss and you ignore it. Until CD's come out and you 86 the tapes.
    Nah, the bike thing 30 years ago was not to do with testosterone, although I did a lot of wheelies and donuts on my beloved Suzuki. I had logged many miles on it, and it, as well as I, were very agile. It was my trusty steed. I had just gotten my paper license awaiting my picture license in the mail. Me and my freind rode on it to school(10th grade), and when school let out I needed to cross a highway to get to the street I used to go home. I had school busses behind me, jocks in their Camaros yelling....but there was no break in the traffic I had to cross. Once I saw an opportunity, I gunned it to cross that highway and we got hit from the right by a large Caddilac. It was pure miscalculation plus the urgings of the jocks behind me honking. So I lost some flesh. All these years later, my comfort zone is about 40-50mph. If the speed limit is 45mph and the road is curvy, I just do 30mph, and if the cars behind me don't like it, oh well. Yeah.......I guess I grew up.
Jimbo

Jocks in Camaros -Scotsmen???  :/
Camaros aren't they murderer's cars, as can be seen on this clip about 7mins in
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DOyDLUzAAOY

This is where the chaps from Top Gear go to the States and try and buy a car for under $1000, where they drive from Miami to New Orleans, and on the way almost get beaten up by some "Rednecks in Alabama"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2syY12OPkwI

I think it's bad that the American Government haven't helped out the citizens of New Orleans a year after Hurricane Katrina.

BTW, what's up with your pelvic pain? Did you break your hip in recent years? If so, there are ways to do certain exercises which are therapeutic and conducive to reducing that pain. Ignore me if it's something you don't want to talk about.....
Jimbo

I don't know the exact cause of my pain, I've been tested for anaemia, diabetes, my Dad had the Type2 diabetes, IBS kidney and gallstones, but it's all came back clear .  I've had ultrasound scans and a laparoscopy to investigate possible gynae causes, but they've come back clear but I bleed for longer than I used to. A cyst was detected in Jan '07, before I  met my wonderful boyfriend, and I know he inadvertently burst it, the only thing is he blamed himself for my problems since then, but I put it down to unfortunate coincidence.  Anyway as there were no visible signs inside my consultant put it down topsycosomatic pain due  some unpleasant experiences when I was a girl/teenager. I did tell him briefly what happened, as my fear is down to medical exams down there. I'm having counselling for these experiences and I'm getting fewer flashbacks, but the physical pain is getting worse. I've e-mailed the consultant with what I think, awaiting his reply.  I've been given endometriosis or PCOS as a possible cause
http://verity-pcos.org.uk/board....f4686f9

http://www.endometriosis.org.uk/

but it can take a time to be diagnosed.  I know there's a link between diabetes and PCOS, and if a close relative has/had diabetes that increases the risk of me becoming a sufferer.

I don't mind discussing such things if it helps someone else and raises awareness of these conditions, that's it's not all a "normal" part of having been born a female.

Jim , I'm also interested in how you manage your pain, I'm on the strongest dose of fizzy Solphadol, might be branded by another name in the US, but I try and avoid taking painkillers unless the pain becomes unbearable.  The pain can vary from a dull ache to a stabbing pain in my R/H side, and sometimes around to my lower back. I'm trying to get a referral back to my consultant, and seeking a second opinion.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
122 replies since July 21 2008, 01:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net