Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Teapot ???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 07 2001, 18:49

Whilst wildly switching NVidia drivers for my in-law's GeforceMX, I occasionally ended up in some messed up configurations. Besides the usual (crashing, fall-back to software rendering with ~0.2 fps), I twice managed to reach a configuration that, when starting the MusicVR demo, instead of the familiar cactus/vulcano scene showed the following scene :
a solid green floor, shaded blue sky above, and, hovering somwhere in between, the good old famous white teapot (honestly!). I could fly around as usual, just quite pointless due to lack of significant features.
See : http://www.nord-com.net/accot.schulz/Other/MusicVR/mvr_teapot.jpg

Still looking for the best NVidia driver for the GeforceMX, I found that :
12.41 lets me fall through the floor occasionally,
12.90 adds some red stripes to the desert plain (see http://www.nord-com.net/accot.schulz/Other/MusicVR/MVR_stripes.jpg)
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2001, 18:51

Oops - the second URL swallowed the right parenthesis :
http://www.nord-com.net/accot.schulz/Other/MusicVR/MVR_stripes.jpg
Profile PM WEB 
Wojtek Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2001, 19:48

What is directly the configuration? I want see it too 'live' smile
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2001, 03:37

You are joking aren't you? Did you just make up the picture of the white teapot on the green background or is this for REAL?

Maybe Mike has put a hidden message in Music VR - what would the White teapot represent? Any ideas?

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 10 2001, 15:34

I'd imagine it's a test image from a model library. I'd not try to read too much into it (and we could, if we wanted to - everyday objects can become very symbolic objects in the right hands)...
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2001, 18:44

I'd also guess that it's some kind of fall-back default scene of the rendering engine. in case something is wrong with display drivers (and no, I'm not joking, it's not made up..).
AFAIR I got the scene when I installed my PCI-tailored version on my in-law's AGP GF2MX, so you would need an AGP GF2MX and rename vgartd.vxd, agartd.vxd and (maybe) alipcimp.pci. You may also need to run Win95OSR2.x, since vgartd is an add-on driver for functions under Win95 that are already built-in in Win98/ME.
Profile PM WEB 
Stu-bular bell Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2001, 18:13

I can explain this!!!

As a 3d artist there is a certain significance.

The teapot (or 'Utah teapot') started at the university of Utah when Martin Newell created an elegant wireframe model of a teapot. Soon his colleagues began experimenting with the model and it has since been a worldwide symbol in 3d modelling!

I hope this solves your query.

Stu
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 05:54

Sure, it obviously was 'the' teapot - but that still doesn't really explain how it got into MusicVR...
Profile PM WEB 
celtic_rain Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2001, 15:27

Hello,

I have recently downloaded MVR and very nice I find it too smile BUT how far can you go with it? can anyone tell me. I have got to the part where you can change from spere to seed to flower but then that seems to be as far as I can get. Is that as far as the demo allows?

thanks smile
Profile PM 
8 replies since Oct. 07 2001, 18:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net