Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB4 announced with multitrack mixing and VR player< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 03 2017, 17:11

From Facebook:

Hi Everyone.
Happy New Year to everyone !
Hope you will love RTO as much as I do, it is coming out very soon. As usual working on the next project and working on a Super Advanced music player for TB4 that will have multitrack mixing and Virtual reality as well as the usual high definition Audio.
Excited for 2017 !
Best wishes from Mike
Profile PM 
marty-party Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 04 2017, 18:50

Wow, "Return to Ommadawn" AND "TB4" - we all know what that means - in 2017!!! Well, I AM excited. A bit anxious, yes, but excited.   :D
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2017, 05:57

another Tubular Bells....that can only be because warner own the rigts to TB2 and so on. I am looking forward to RTO, but not this
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2017, 20:46

Quote (falk @ Jan. 05 2017, 09:57)
that can only be because warner own the rigts to TB2 and so on.

I think it's beyond anything like that now. There was certainly a time when each three album contract included some kind of Tubular Bells album, and you had to wonder (I seem to remember Mike even admitted he'd used some of them as a carrot to Warner - definitely TB2 but I think maybe TB3 as well)...

Now, though, I'm really not so sure. Universal are clearly reaping the benefits of having his back catalogue in their stable as best they can and they seem to get reasonable mileage out of his new releases, so...I wonder what more can reasonably be squeezed out of the Tubular Bells brand commercially speaking.

I think there are issues with differentiation, people not sure what's a reworking, what's a remaster, remix, re-recording and so on. Not amongst hard core fans, of course, but I get the sense, from comments I've seen out in the wider online world, that people don't necessarily see much difference between him doing a new Tubular Bells album and, say, the 2009 reissue - the reaction is just "He's trying to sell us another copy of Tubular Bells!".

Perhaps I've seen too much of the negativity and overlooked what enthusiasm there might amongst the general music-buying public be for further uses of the Tubular Bells brand, but...seen from my point of view, I'd be wary of doing more Tubular Bells albums for commercial reasons.

I tend to think that Mike is just drawn to it, feeling it's a part of who he is. From seeming to not much like being the 'Tubular Bells guy' I think he's settled into a place where he quite enjoys it. He seems to like coming up with new variations on the opening in particular. I have the sense he's doing it because he can't not do it...

The idea of a multitrack player is intriguing, as is something involving VR. I think it would be nice to see the two aspects integrated into an album that can be explored spatially, where you can wander between the different elements focusing on different things rather like walking amongst the different musicians in an orchestra. Getting that to really work well as an experience would be a huge task, but I think it could be a fascinating thing to play with.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2017, 14:51

i might be only one who is excited about tb4, imo these are getting better by the numbers, really don't care about the first, second one got me interested about oldfield phenomenom, by third i was sold.
ommadawn is my favourite, to do a sequel is bold, but that is mike, that is why i love his music.
:cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2017, 19:44

I'd certainly be more interested surround sound as VR with binaural audio than more 5.1 mixes.
Profile PM 
Atane Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2017, 17:34

I think it's time this website closes.
Everything is on Facebook, now.
Profile PM 
pauly Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2017, 19:06

There are people who don't use facebook.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2017, 07:02

Quote (Atane @ Jan. 18 2017, 22:34)

Everything is not on Facebook, I would not use it if you paid me. And even if it is, why did you post on here?
Profile PM 
Mike59 Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2017, 08:50

I totally agree with qjamesfloyd.
Facebook is not for everyone, and besides - a hell of a lot of us like this website!
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2017, 18:37

Pauly, qjamesfloyd and Mike59, I totally agree with you, too. I also wouldn't use FB even if you paid me. For me FB is the personification of our new social world that gets more superficial day by day.  :(

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
bionicmic Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 05:37

Hope this the right place to post this:
Luckily I received my copy of "RTO" yesterday January 19th , and if I may say so,Mike if you read this, it is a great, great album and I love it.Thank you for this wonderful piece of music.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 08:15

Quote (Atane @ Jan. 18 2017, 21:34)

I vaguely recall you having said this before, and certainly I see you've posted it in both this and another topic here. We're not against dissenting opinions, but the fact you seem to have copied and pasted the same text into several posts doesn't really come across like it's intended as constructive criticism. Perhaps you feel it's more helpful than the way it comes across...

Please bear in mind that this is a site run by fans, not the record company or anyone else, and we do it because we want to. I think it's fair to say that some of us don't put the same amount of time and energy into it that we used to, but we still value the fact that it's here to come back to when we feel like it. It'll keep going for as long as someone wants to run it...

Would you go into a high street shop with a megaphone and shout "I think it's time this shop closes. Everything is on Amazon now."? ;)

If you don't like it here, you don't have to come here...seek things that you enjoy! Focusing on things you don't like all the time isn't good for you :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 09:06

Quote (Atane @ Jan. 18 2017, 17:34)

As long as there are people who visit it and exchange opinions, it will exist.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 07:12

Yes, agree Korgscrew please continue the good work here, and thank you for doing it.
Here we can post what we want to say without it going the moderation that happens with Mike's groups
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 10:53

i happen to use facebook, and there is the official site, but i can´t imagine an internet without tubular net and it´s freedom of speech and brotherhood of oldfieldfans. So i guess/hope it keeps running
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 13:01

Quote (falk @ Jan. 24 2017, 16:53)
i happen to use facebook, and there is the official site, but i can´t imagine an internet without tubular net and it´s freedom of speech and brotherhood of oldfieldfans. So i guess/hope it keeps running

Hear hear. It's easy to take something for granted that's been around seemingly forever, but actually it takes a lot of work behind the scenes building and maintaining a comprehensive and - to fans like us - extremely useful website like this one. Even if I don't come here as much as I used to, it's probably my all-time most visited spot on the internet (besides Wikipedia, I guess) and I'm extremely grateful to the people who made it possible and continue to do so. I wouldn't trade it for facebook for the world.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 14:15

It's easy to take something for granted that's been around seemingly forever, but actually it takes a lot of work behind the scenes building and maintaining a comprehensive and - to fans like us - extremely useful website like this one.

I absolutely agree with this - I really appreciate Tubular.net being here still after all these years - no need to change - it's a place to come to and think. There is a hell of a lot of information (in pictures and or words) and opinion available here in a structured format that works very well.

Much appreciated by many
:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2017, 15:13

not to spoil the idea of a new TB, but whatever happend to Islands and earthmoving deluxe and the suite 1987-89? I have not heard of it for a long time, and of his poprecords Islands i my favourite? Does anyone know?
Profile PM 
InterAstefanMechanic Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2017, 05:26

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJD1lPye66rfBHxixWMjYvQ

Hello to everyone ! This is my music in some places you will find influenced from Mike Oldfield

https://soundcloud.com/interastefanmechanic
Profile PM 
180 replies since Jan. 03 2017, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net