Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB3 similarities with TB1 and TB2 (and with other works)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2000, 16:25

Hello everyone. I noticed that there is a discussion going on in the "The sound of too boo lar bells" about similarities between the sections of TB3 and those of TB2-1. So I decided to post my own list (all IMHO).

The Source of Secrets ----> Sentinel [of course! smile]
The Watchful Eye ----> [maybe] Clear Light
Jewel in the Crown ----> Nothing!!! smile Sounds more like a TSODE thing...
Outcast ----> Piltdown Man, Altered State, Out of Sight [Guitars] and Star Light Part II [TB1, Amarok Player Tracklist].
Serpent Dream ----> Nothing from the other two TBs. Maybe the Fast Waltz from Amarok and Taurus III.
The Inner Child ----> Red Dawn and the vocals at the end of TB1 Part 1.
Man in the Rain ----> [obviously] Moonlight Shadow, plus the chordal pattern from Sunset Door.
The Top of the Morning ----> Second half of The Great Plain from TB2 and Celtic Rain from Voyager.
Moonwatch ----> Part of Weightless and Southern Silver [TB1, AP Tracklist]
Secrets ----> Ditto as TSOS. A little reprise...
FATC ----> The Bell [both TB2 and 1]. But IMHO the child does not act as MC. The MC is meant to be funny, the child is not. Even if it sounds funny... smile

You're free to agree / disagree with this or add to it. Or, to say it better: please do!

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2000, 21:53

My website, www.tubularbills.com, has quite an analysis of the three bell albums, as i had interpreted them. Not only did i compare the different tracks, but the albums as a whole (in other words, for example, 0:00 at Dark Star (TB2) is really apprx. 8:08 into the whole album).

Again, this is purely my interpretation smile

[This message has been edited by tubularbills (edited 10-24-2000).]

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2000, 05:39

Serpent Dream ----> Nothing from the other two TBs. Maybe the Fast Waltz from Amarok and Taurus III.

Right for Taurus 3, technically not conceptually. It's flamenco style (hum, listen Diego Cortés work in Pastosi, this is flamenco)

But Sorry Ugo, i keep on thinking that it is the equivalent of The Sailor Hornpipe and Moonshine smile :
1/ Despite everything, IMHO TB3 is clearly inside 'TB Trilogy', and even if the structure is not totaly the same (Outcast in the first half, FATC at the end) and if music is not the same, 'insipration' (maybe i should say 'concept'?) is the same.
2/ We can't say that The Sailor Hornpipe and Moonshine are strictly musically equal, and however, TB2 is the sequel of TB so, they come from the same idea : a fast and enjoyable folk music at the end of the symphony.
3/ If we consider TB3 not only as a sequel but as a spin off, we can think that Serpent Dream is the equivalent or spin-off of Moonshine, it's a fast and enjoyable flamenco style (spanish folklore) piece of music.

About the MC : i don't think MC is suppose to be funny, but more important, the concept of announcing instrument is the same in TB3.
Just to argue that MC (at least in TB, TB2 is more joyfull) is not supposed (IMHO of course wink) to be funny :
tubular.net/articles/74_09.html :

'Tubular Bells' is appears was conceived largely in an urban environment, and the music reflects this. It is episodic, gritty, unflowing.
"The textures of a lot of rock music", said Mike, "and the textures of a city street, they're really a similar sort of feel. Lots of confusion and lots of nasty overtones: things going bang, crash, car doors, horns. And then there is the general undercurrent: tube trains, buses, cars- the rumble of several millions cars on a street gives the whole of London a big brrrr, incredibly deep, and you can feel it in your rib cage.

Cheers to all, GMOVJ

[This message has been edited by GMOVJ (edited 10-25-2000).]

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2000, 08:10

MC is not supposed....[IMHO of course smile] to be funny

GMOVJ, here's what Dave Laing frown rolleyes says in the Elements book about the MC, referring to Don Alfonso: "The sense of humour evident in the 'Introduction to the Instruments' section of Tubular Bells was well to the fore on Don Alfonso". wink

Tubularbills ---> Congratulations for the excellent work on your site. I particularily enjoyed the story you have built over the music of TB3. I have only a remark to make: why do you think that the final part of FATC represents death? Because of the lyrics, sounding like a suicide note? From my own point of view (I don't care that much about the lyrics) that section represents the triumph of life, of the good forces over the bad ones, just like in Star Wars / Return of the Jedi (see my posts in the topic "Alternate album names", Criticism & Humour forum). I think Mike uses the bells, so heavy and dramatic here, as a sort of personal exorcism against his own demons, his own fears. And he succeeds beautifully, because he ends up amongst the chirping of birds and the (hopeful) church bells [that kind of bell tune is used (at least here in Italy) for weddings... wink]
Anyway, all of this is just my own view.

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 10-25-2000).]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2000, 16:27

Yeah, i do think that it does represent maybe death, or some sort of "final ending". The final 3 bells seem to have more emphasis than the lyrcis though.

Actually, the way i feel about it is more similar to a hero story. Say for instance, the hero has gone off to battle (the lyrics in FATC), he battles some sort of monster (the music in FATC), and defeats the monster (the final 3 bells). The bells in the background then signify the hero coming home.
The story i had written on my website was purely just for fiction purposes.

Glad you liked the site! smile smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2000, 11:16

Outcast -> Shadow On The Wall!
This comes from a friend of mine who knows just about nothing about MO - but he's right, isn't he?
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2001, 16:42

I think in the beginning of the wonderful "Top of the Morning" there is a three note-loop with the piano taking directly from the end of Sentinel on Tubular Bells II,just before the start of Dark Star...as well, though it´s one of the most original tracks on TB3, there is a lot of Sentinel feel with the piano.

Hope it helps.

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 04:42

More interesting similarities (If they haven´t been added before, however smile ):

There is a quote of the bassline of the "Tubular Bells 1 - Part one final" in "Far above the clouds" around minute 3:00.

Yes,...
How to interpret?
Is this merely a cool-sounding reference to 25 years older "first bell"?

However I always had the impression, that the bassline of the Tubular Bells final has a greater importance than the actual tubular bell. Since it has accompanied and has given the foundation for the whole ascension of the tubular bell. The long bass introduction made me even feel the (heart-)beat of the whole album.
Consider: Together with the opening theme, it is the only music that stays somehow constant in this actually heavily turbulent music and comprises the album.
If I transfered this aspect to TB3, I would say, that Mike wanted us again to feel the importance of this bassline, this constant feel of his music.
Perhaps this is too far-reaching... but add your own thoughts about this if you like.

Gruß Dervish
Profile PM 
cp Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 05:44

This is getting a bit offtopic, but I'll continue anyway.

The bass theme at the end of TB part 1 also appears in many other MO albums (with minor variations) - The Bell in TB2 (which is quite a bit different to the original), Africa II in Amarok, FATC in TB3, and also somewhere in Hergest Ridge (I can't remember exactly).

You might be right about the Tubular Bell (instrument) being less important, too - TB was not originally going to be called "Tubular Bells". But even so, it's really become an Oldfield trademark.
Profile PM WEB 
Rob Miles Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 13:28

Hello everyone

Ages ago, I did a breakdown of TB3 which highlights the tubular references. It's on Lise's MOU site at http://www.ommadawn.dk.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly crazy.

Rob

:-)?

PS- there's almost certainly more references to TB1-2 in them, but I need to spend more time finding the references in TMB- they are in there!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 16:46

Going back to the shadow on the wall/outcast thing...

Outcast contains a sample from the drums from Shadow on the Wall, just like the way 'Man in the rain' takes the drums from 'Moonlight shadow' and 'Far above the clouds' shares its drums with Ommadawn...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 15:51

cp, did you notice?

Another place for TB bass line... just a small phrase on the bass in 'Charlestone' on Platinum... cool

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2001, 12:41

The beginnings of part two in all 3 albums (Part Two, Weightless, and TOTM), while the notes are different, follow the same pattern: the two or three minutes or so kind of just linger around the same melody, with additional buildups as time continues.

--------------
Profile PM 
12 replies since Oct. 24 2000, 16:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net