Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tb III concert Katowice, do you want it??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
amazarak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 07:54

Thanksthanksthanks, I'm looking forward to this :)

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 10:27

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZQVJXT4DHH1013DZB9XSJHICO  ;)  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 14:12

you sir, are surely a god among men!  :D  ;)  :laugh:

thanks!

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 03:15

Thanks for the concert, this is the kind of stuff that should have got an official release on CD and D.V.D.
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 08:34

No more limits. Here's ed2k link:
ed2k://|file|Live%20at%20Spodek,%20Katowice%2025%20july%201999.zip|101441394|CDCBC6D041671F3D0BD4D2978BBE1A36|h=4U4PIT4K3ODYSGK5PWOTZNJGNLNN3IPA|/

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 14:04

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 16 2005, 09:15)
Thanks for the concert, this is the kind of stuff that should have got an official release on CD and D.V.D.

If only the record companies would be so wise as to listen to the fans !

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 10:02

I'd just like to pick up something that we started to discuss in another thread, but which seems more appropriate here.

I've said before several times that the performance of Let There Be Light in this show is one of my Holy Grail performances - perhaps the moment of moments. What Miguel pointed out however, is that it contains a few mistakes in the guitar playing, and it's this that I wanted opinions about.

The first guitar passage is beautiful but mostly prepares the way for the second, stratospheric second passage, beginning with the clang of the bell. It soars; there's a kind of rawness about it which makes me feel that this is a 'Heaven or bust' performance. He seems to strain at the limit of what a guitar can do, and in doing so there are one or two apparent mistakes - one, most noticeable discord, occurring in a rapid descending scale, for example.

The questions that interest me - there are two - are as follows:

1. Do these 'mistakes' matter? In my view they're an essential part of the risky nature of the performance. By attempting so much, he risks failure. If you want a mistake-free performance, you'd lose the very essence of the performance. You'd get something safe; but you'd lose any hope of reaching the stratosphere because getting there is essentially risky.

2. Are they actually 'mistakes' at all? I've listened to this passage so many times that I now accept them. That discord in the descending scale seems full of feeling to me, now. If it were not there, I feel the music would lose something important.

I don't know whether others love this passage as much as I do, though I think Miguel does even though he wishes the mistakes weren't there. Can we have some more opinions on this business of the mistakes? Or any other response to the amazing 'LTBL' performance in this show?
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 22:21

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 27 2005, 10:02)
1. Do these 'mistakes' matter? In my view they're an essential part of the risky nature of the performance. By attempting so much, he risks failure. If you want a mistake-free performance, you'd lose the very essence of the performance. You'd get something safe; but you'd lose any hope of reaching the stratosphere because getting there is essentially risky.

2. Are they actually 'mistakes' at all? I've listened to this passage so many times that I now accept them. That discord in the descending scale seems full of feeling to me, now. If it were not there, I feel the music would lose something important.

Hi Alan D !

The thing is that, since i know he's improvising, i tolerate quite well his mistakes when he's playing live.
However, if we think that jazz players are always improvising live and they don't use to miss a single note... And sure they play with all his heart and soul, but also with they knowledge, meaning all the notes they play! I mean the good jazz players of course...

So, my point is that Mike would be able to improvise without mistakes if he spend more time playing on his guitar. For example, in an old show at The Knebworth Festival we can see him improvising amazingly, but without this kind of mistakes wich i consider to be kind of rude mistakes.

About the descending scale on Let there be light, my opinion is that his intensions were the best, but the results were not so good. So i still like this passage but it feels strange when he slides into wrong scale notes...And it doesn't matter if its not an official release. I mean,there was a crowd in front of him...

But when it comes to the official releases (the albums) , although there are no wrong notes that i can remember now,  it seems that are pieces of music that deserved a better take or something. As i said in the other post about No Man's Land Reprise, i think he should play more carefully, not only with his heart but also with his head.....
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 22:31

By the way, do you know if the show that i've mentioned above exist here on internet? I only have a real old and almost damaged VHS tape with it....The name of the tape is "The Essential".
Thanks!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2005, 03:29

Quote (Miguel @ Oct. 28 2005, 03:31)
do you know if the show that i've mentioned above exist here on internet?

I don't know of an internet source for it Miguel, sorry. But I don't use things like emule myself so I'm not the best person to ask. Anyone else know? Incidentally, I agree with you (how could I not? ) that the performance is masterly.

my point is that Mike would be able to improvise without mistakes if he spend more time playing on his guitar.

But I wonder - in the case of this Let There Be Light - about the price that would have to be paid for that. If he'd practised that passage more and more until he knew he knew he could do it perfectly - wouldn't it lose something essential? As it stands, it's such a 'dangerous' piece of playing, so close to the edge of failure. And that heightens the sense that he's taking us where no guitarist has gone before. Whereas if he'd practised it and practised it, well - he would have been there before. It would be known territory. And the edge would disappear.

And then there's the fact that now I've come to accept the 'wrong' note as part of the incredible journey. I'm not even sure that if someone could edit in the 'right' note, it wouldn't spoil it!
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 18:11

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 28 2005, 03:29)
But I wonder - in the case of this Let There Be Light - about the price that would have to be paid for that. If he'd practised that passage more and more until he knew he knew he could do it perfectly - wouldn't it lose something essential? As it stands, it's such a 'dangerous' piece of playing, so close to the edge of failure. And that heightens the sense that he's taking us where no guitarist has gone before. Whereas if he'd practised it and practised it, well - he would have been there before. It would be known territory. And the edge would disappear.

And then there's the fact that now I've come to accept the 'wrong' note as part of the incredible journey. I'm not even sure that if someone could edit in the 'right' note, it wouldn't spoil it!

Well, i wasn't saying that he needed to practice this or other else solo until it gets perfect. I mean, he should do that indeed but i also love to see him playing something unexpected. That is something i really enjoy... What i've meant was that if he was more confortable with the scale and tonality of his own song, he would play whatever he wanted without missing a note. Practice on a tonality is not the same as practice a solo note by note. That kind of practice gives you the abillity to do things you never did before with your instrument. So, he wasn't meaning that wrong notes but he played them as a mistake, and thats why i feel sorry about his performance...Please notice that he goes wrong again further in that show and he his not even improvising! Seems to me that he wasn't concentrated in what he was playing or something...And more: tunning his guitar when a song's allready began its also kind of rude.
 But what a hell, i still love his music and his shows anyway!! And all his mistakes are NOT the most relevant and  important things on Mike's world...  

Ps: And thanks about The Essencial show. I will try to get it in another post now.

Greetings!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2005, 06:04

Quote (Miguel @ Oct. 29 2005, 23:11)
Please notice that he goes wrong again further in that show and he his not even improvising! Seems to me that he wasn't concentrated in what he was playing or something...

Oh yes - there are some quite bad blunders later on, and I feel as you do that he was losing it. My impression is that he'd poured so much intensity into the beginning that he couldn't sustain it, and went over some kind of edge.

But I still wonder about whether those 'mistakes' in Let There Be Light are really mistakes at all.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 17:22

I dont know about mistakes and stuff, all i know is, that the guitar work from the 5 min mark is what makes mike's live shows so amazing, the add lib works is stunning, god i want him to tour again! lol  :cool:

And as holy grails go, this is a superb one to pick mate, its prob my fave live recording of Mike too, no matter how loud i play it, it never seems loud enough!

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
32 replies since Oct. 09 2005, 23:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net