Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB by Duo Sonare< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
toMtOm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 03:20

Hi!

I have just downloaded from somewhere the Tubular Bells performed by Duo Sonare on 2 classical guitars. Of course I made an audio CD and listen all day! smile It's fantastic...
But I would like to get more information about this performance. I visited their site at www.duosonare.de, but there were only a few info. Could anyone help me?

toMtOm
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 05:05

Mainly, this two German Guitar teachers used to play some bits of TB during small concert, and then decides to make orchestration for 2 guitar of the whole Opus.
As I've got the orginial CD of "Duo Sonare Plays Mike Oldfield's Opus One", I'll post some informations tomorow : i'll copy here the sleeve's text.
wink Yes, this version - even if Mike don't play it - is really fantastic !
GMOVJ

[This message has been edited by GMOVJ (edited 10-18-2000).]

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
toMtOm Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2000, 05:26

Hi GMOVJ!

Thanks in advance!

toMtOm
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2000, 05:30

Hi all,
OK, here it starts :

DUO SONARE plays Mike Oldfield
Mike Oldfield (*1953)
Tubular Bells (Arr.: Duo Sonare)
1 - Part I (26'51)
2 - Part II* (22'08)
3 - The Sailor's Hornpipe (3'38)

Total Time 52'38

DUAO SONARE
Thomas Offermann & Jens Wagner, guitars and voices

*Drum solo by DUO SONARE
Special guest on Track -No3:
Ian Vance Melrose, speaker

Concert guitars: Maurice Ottiger
Terz guitars: Bernhard Kresse
Strings: La Bella

Production: Werner Dabringhaus, Reimund Grimm
Recording Supervisor: Holger ShchlegelRecording: March 8-10, 1996, Oranienburg in SchloB Nordkirchen
Cover: Martin Kloke
(c) Text: Dr Elena Ungeheuer
Dabringhaus und Grimm oHG, Bachstr.
35, D-32756 Detmold
Tel: +49-(0)5231-93890
Fax: +49-(0)5231-26186

(c)+(p) MDG, 1996, Made in Germany

MDG 630 0628-2

Ian V.Melrose appears by courtesy of Slow Motion Records

Gefördert durch die Stiftung
Kunst und Kultur des Landes NRW

MDG - Our Sound Ideal
All MDG recordings are produced in tha natural acoustics of specially chosen concert halls. It goes without saying that our audiophile label refrains from any of sort of soundmodifying manipulation with reverberation, sound filters, or limiters.
We aim at genuine reproduction with precise depth gradation, original dynamics, and natural tone colors. It is thus that each work acquires its musically appropriate spatial dimension and that the greatest possible naturalness and vividness.
Complete information about mdg productions - catalogue, booklet, table of contents - are available for consultation by the visually impaired in Braille and on databases

When music begins to speak
The idea of sound speaking is ancient, yet we continue to be impressed anew when notes not only ring out, but even form themselves into a story to wich we can listen, forgetting ourselves, the world around us and the actuel source of the sounds. Music that speaks creates the aura wich we associate with real objects. "What exactly is aura?", asks Walter Benjamin in this significant essay, The Work of art in the face of its technical reproducibility (1935).
"A strange fabrication of space and time: the unique appearance of distance, however near it may actually be. Resting on a summer's afternoon, letting the eyes wander along a mountain range on the horizon, or else along the lttle twig which casts its shadow upon the watcher - this is what it means to breathe in the aura of those hills, that twig."
It must have been the special blend of the aura in the symphony of sound Tubular Bells which, in May 1973, made Mike oldfield famous almost overnight. More than 10 Million copies were sold of the record with which this piece in intrinsically connected. There are many different theories to explain the powerful effect of this music: is it due to the gripping quality of its melodies, or the repetitive, even minimalist rhythm; is it the way the rhapsodies of the individual stories interlock, or the unusual combination os simplicity and refinement? It is not easy to place this piece of music in a preconceived catagory. Certainly it seems to prove that Beinjamin's fears of destroying the aura and uniqueness od a work of art by technically reproducing it were here unfounded. Oldfield's Opus Magnus appeared ideally suited to the record as a production medium: the twenty-year-old-musician playes most of the instruments - guitars, bass, pianos, organs and various kinds of percussion - himself and recorded them all together on 24 tracks, using the playback system. A musical fantasy for one player - such as could never be heard in a concert hall. In 1979, Oldfield, together with Daniel Bedford, produced an orchestral version which was also used as a soundtrack for the popular horror film The Exorcist.
Thomas Offerman and Jens Wagner, alias DUO SONARE, chose the opposite pathway. Together they took up the challenge of the piece - wich is longer than most guitar works - creating a transcription which combined two qualities: it made use of the whole sound range of the guitar while retaining something of the woven effects caused by several different instruments playing together. They gained the necessary experience in their concerts, performing at first only one part of the piece, and later the whole work. They succeeded remarkably well in giving the impression that, as well as the pseaking notes, there were also story-tellers on the stage. These did not appear as fantastic super-people, creating sound with their hands as if by magic, but as two real humans talking to themselves, to each other and to the audience.
The CD "DUO SONARE plays Mike oldfield: Tubular Bells" closes the circle. Although the recording can not reproduce the unique concert athmosphere, it does offer the listener the rewarding possibility of experiencing again and again the fine details of the guitar transcription. Even more exciting is the fact that the whole comprehensive musical creation is now permanently available to all those who have already come to knwo and appreciate DUO SONARE, as well as to anyone else who is open for unusual musical treats.
Elena Ungeheuer

About DUO SONARE:
The name is an appreciation of the special sound, the variety and the elegance of two guitar playing together. DUO SONARE values a rich heritage of classical and romantic guitar duets, playing them with unique sensitivity and virtuosity on recreation of historical instruments. In presenting this repertoire along with 20th century guitar works which are accoustically both challenging and pleasing, on modern concert guitars, DUO SONARE allows the music to be perceived in a new ligh and often even enhances it with its delicate transciptions.
Jens Wagner teaches at the Universtät Gesamthochschule Essen and at the Hochschule für Künste in Bremen.
Thomas Offermann teaches at the Hochschule für Music Hanns Eisler in Berlin and at the Hochschule für Music Franz Liszt in Weimar.

Well, reading this, you - all fans - certainly found some typo mistake (they're mine) but some other errors like Daniel(they're not mine) !
Sincerly, think about buying this album. MP3 compression is not perfect for this kind of music. You've got all references in the begining.

Bonus : The Part 1 Amarok Tracklist :

01:00:00:00*Tubular Bells - Part One
01:00:00:00 The Guardian Part I
01:04:07:55 Illumination Part I
01:04:41:28 The Guardian Part II
01:05:15:15 Star Light Part I
01:05:52:25 Star Light Part II
01:06:05:27 Star Light Part III
01:06:53:19 Star Light Part IV
01:09:11:60 Illumination Part II
01:09:33:19 The Guardian Part III
01:11:33:01 Indigo Inn Part I
01:13:29:58 Indigo Inn Part II
01:13:50:08 Indigo Inn Part III
01:14:12:25 Solar Flare Part I
01:14:45:55 Solar Flare Part II
01:14:54:00 Eventide I
01:15:32:50 Eventide II
01:16:07:00 The Bell Intro
01:16:36:60 The Bell Intro II
01:17:25:60 The Bell
01:20:59:50 >>> Eq Grand Piano
01:21:24:18 >>> Eq Reed and Pipe Organ
01:21:47:60 >>> Eq Glockenspliel
01:22:11:34 >>> Eq Bass Guitar
01:22:34:73 >>> Eq Double Speed Guitar
01:22:58:41 >>> Eq Two Slightly Distorted Guitars
01:23:22:23 >>> Eq Mandolin
01:23:45:49 >>> Eq spanish Guitar and Accoustinc Guitars
01:24:09:15 >>> Eq Tubular Bells
01:24:32:55 >>> Eq Girlie Choirs
01:24:54:17 >>> Eq Tubular Bells Part II
01:25:15:50 >>> Eq Fading and Guitar Intro
01:25:39:56 >>> Final Riff

Cheers, GMOVJ

[This message has been edited by GMOVJ (edited 10-19-2000).]

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
toMtOm Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2000, 05:36

Thanks a lot GMOVJ!

You are a real hero (and a real fan! smile)!

toMtOm
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2000, 09:04

Oh no ! I'm not a hero at all !
But i'm a fan, that's true !
Even if I somtimes agree w/ Gareth !!

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Grand Piano Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 16:28

After having read this thread late last night I did a search of the major USA and European record/music store sites and it turned up in several, usually the classical section. So, it is still available for all those who may be interested.

One site had short MP3 clips of the tracks and after listening to a couple I was impressed. Duo Sonare seem to have researched the exact guitar phrasing very closely and it shows. I'm sure we have all heard 'covers' of favourite pieces of music and been disappointed by the results - parts 1 and 2 of this album are definitely NOT in that category!

However, it does strike me as odd that the version of the Sailors Hornpipe that they chose to cover is the 'drunken' Vivian Stanshall one from the Boxed Set and not the original release instrumental version. Yes, I know the Viv Stanshall version was preferred by Mike Oldfield but in this cover it is odd and slightly embarrassing. Vivian is amusing but to blandly repeat his words in a dead-pan, upper-class and obviously sober voice just doesn't work. This is one section that Duo Sonare got wrong, I'm afraid.

Nevertheless, I'm sold on it enough to order one.......and I'm going to do it as soon as I've finished this!

Oh, one last thing, the link shown for Duo Sonare at the top of this page has erroneously had a comma placed at the very end of the link. This, of course, causes the link to fail. Try this:
http://www.duosonare.de/

[This message has been edited by Grand Piano (edited 10-25-2000).]
Profile PM 
Grand Piano Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2000, 05:05

Received my copy of the Duo Sonare TB album this morning and it is playing in my computer CD right now.

It is excellent! The promise of the short audio clips that I heard on the Amazon.co.uk site are confirmed. Nevertheless, my reservation about the Sailors Hornpipe mentioned in my post above still stands.

If you are a fan of the first Tubular Bells or its orchestral version then I highly recommend this classical guitar duo version to you. It is very relaxing to listen to.

.........and NO, I do not have any connection with Duo Sonare or MDG recordings. I just happen to enjoy TB and its variations. I consider myself very lucky to have stumbled across this site and found out about Duo Sonare.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2000, 07:47

I like this Drunken version, no reservation at all ! wink Maybe because I heard this version before the Boxed one...

About all this cover, this is is simply a great moment to listen to it very loud w/ good speaker ! MP3 (that i've heard) is not good enough to listen to all details and subtle playing.

Cheers, GMOVJ
PS : and i'm not working for MDG wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 28 2000, 21:51

Not wanting to drag things too far from the topic but...wouldn't it be sort of interesting if this kind of arrangement was tried with other pieces of Mike's work? Even more interesting would be if Mike himself did it...
Profile PM 
9 replies since Oct. 18 2000, 03:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net