Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB 2003 Premiere - suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2002, 15:23

I know that someone had created a poll for that,but let's start the discussion about it...of course that Mike is going to start promoting the new TB version with a big premiere show...

There are some places I can think about:
-Barcelona(Spain) - justice for the big fan base
-London(England) - playing in your country is fab

What about you?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tellur Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2002, 12:54

Hey, you forgot about Poland! As a matter of fact, I recall hearing somewhere that Mike will play in Poland next year, promoting the "Tr3s Lunas" album. He is said to play themes from the new album as well as the whole Tubular Bells part I (correct me if I'm wrong...), and I guess that if he really does come, he will already play the TB@2003.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2002, 11:02

Quote (Tellur @ Nov. 28 2002, 15:54)
Hey, you forgot about Poland! As a matter of fact, I recall hearing somewhere that Mike will play in Poland next year, promoting the "Tr3s Lunas" album. He is said to play themes from the new album as well as the whole Tubular Bells part I (correct me if I'm wrong...), and I guess that if he really does come, he will already play the TB@2003.

I didn't forget...I just wanna see your choices.
Poland is another fab Mike market...and I do have something polish on my heritage...

About playing TL and new TB next year on a tour...dunno,tour plans from Mike are a big mystery to us!Once he says that he's going to tour,then he's not.I'm sure about a TB 2003 tour,w/ TL stuff.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2002, 13:25

I do think there will be a TB 30th aniversary premiere, whether or not he will tour with it is another matter. I don't mean to sound bias but I think the premiere concert should be here in the UK where his public profile really could do with a boost, its his home country afterall.

Ideas for the concert. Well get together a cool looking group who can play well. The musicians from the last tour looked good and played well together so maybe reform that group and bring in a few guest musicians like the 73 concert, Robert Fripp and Dave Gilmour spring to mind to name but two.

The problem with past performances of TB is getting it to sound musically tight, but then again we don't want a Kareeokee like perfomance which the live TB2 bordered on. It should be possible with modern technology to achieve this I would of thought.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2002, 21:44

How do you mean the TBII performance had a kareeokee sound? Is that even possable with an instrumental album? I thought it sounded amazing, I would have loved to be there.

Yes, I know that playing in familiar places would be good, where he knows he's going to be well recieved, but isn't it time to give some other countries a go? There are probably many fans in the Asia/Australia area (including me! ) who would love to see Mike live here finally. We have a lot of odl rockers touring (Mike isn't exactly young himself... ) including Yes (who are only playing the eastern states   :(  :(  :( ). So, come to Australia for a tour. There will be lots of people to enjoy your music, expecially an album like Tubular Bells, and you will probably enjoy the country (most bands who tour do! )

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2002, 09:22

By 'kareeokee' I mean that because TB2 was such a sequenced album the live version in quite a lot of places was just Mike playing ontop of a sequenced backing track, some of the bell and other acoustic sounds sounded midi triggered aswell. Ontop of this what Mike played on guitar was pretty much note for note exactly like the album which made, for me, the live rendition of TB2 not particularly interesting.

TB3 live on the other hand sounded a great deal better because there was less sequencing and Mike added little extra guitar parts here and there which I think is what you want from a live performance. If any of you have seen Mike's performance of Secrets/FATC on the Jools Holland show in 1998 you will know how much better an already good track can become by giving it a great live arrangement and performance.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2002, 04:06

I will always find the Horse Guards Parage reprise of Far Above the Clouds as one of the best pieces of music in existance. I know that TB II is a very sequenced album, that is why TBIII has just beaten it as my favourite album. The live version was much more alive: when he starts the bells on The Bell, the cheering croud makes it so much better. I still think he should tour Australia and Asia for once.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2002, 15:09

What we think about the live concerts is not what matter's,it's what Mike think's that is,because he said about the TB11 performance,that he wants a classical performance,and he wants the concert to reflect as much as possible the album,and that is more or less what you get,personaly,i prefer the TB11 concert,it's asounding,and i was at the TB111 concert!!!!.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2002, 18:07

Eh??????????????????????? What we think about Mike's concerts is what matters because thats what we're here to discuss. Without opinions there would be no debate.  

Personaly I don't like live concerts where the music played is just a carbon copy of the original sound. I alway's like all the extra pieces that are added, its what makes the live experience that bit special. Sadly TB2 on both the times I heard it live was fairly bland in this respect, for me it wasn't a great live piece of music.
Profile PM 
Tellur Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 11:38

There is only one concert\DVD track which I prefer a lot more than the album release - and it's not Far Above The Clouds, but The Serpent. You can clearly hear that Mike improvises quite a lot during this song, putting in some adittional notes'n'stuff in there.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2002, 13:05

well, seeing how the winds blow these last days... i mean... about that possibility of mike abandoning the tb 2003 tour... i would only have one for the moment ...
this premiere should actually take place
(more a wish than a suggestion...)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 29 2002, 16:56

The idea of a tour was only ever a faint possibility anyway, but the premiere...I'd take what the prophets of doom say with a pinch of salt if I were you.
Profile PM 
11 replies since Nov. 27 2002, 15:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net