Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB - Part Two Trio (just a test), Piano, violin & cello< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Trinidad Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 18:00

Some months after ending my version of "Peace" for piano, I thought about trying the same with some other Mike piece, and soon I decided to try with the whole second half of TB (how original... :D). After many hours of work, I succeeded finding a formula to be able to perform the first section (the first part of "Harmonics"), but it was very difficult to play, and it lacked something...

Not much time after that, I was seeking some info about the piece "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence", from Ryuichi Sakamoto, in order to learn to play it, and I found this, in which he (and other two guys, of course) played it with piano, violin and cello. I really loved it, and I cosidered about using the same instruments for my cover. I really wanted to play it using only piano, but...

Recently, I've been trying some possible variations for the first section, and yesterday I ended the final touches of the arrangement I liked the most. Since I'll need ages to finish the whole Part Two (and that if I finally end it), I've decided to post the basic idea for this rather short piece here, and if you have any comments, criticisms, etc., I'll be very glad to hear them; for example, do you think the end is too "full"/loud?

Note that it's just an sketch: it's badly played, and the samples for violin and cello are just poor quality free samples I found (any better ones, somewhere?). And, of course, it lacks everything somebody who knows about music could do!

Tubular Bells - Part Two Trio - Harmonics (1/2).

Piano: 4Front "TruePianos".
Violin: Violin Muted String.
Cello: 1115-Cellos_Forte.
DAW: EnergyXT 1.4 (for now, better than XT2).
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2008, 15:34

I would say it begins very well but near the end too many instruments make it difficult to hear distinctly. I would not try to build up with too many instruments, why not use a guitar or bass ?
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2008, 18:09

Thanks a lot for the comments, nushky!  :)

Quote (nushky @ Feb. 12 2008, 21:34)
why not use a guitar or bass ?

Just because, from the beginning, I wanted to do it with piano, violin and cello, and nothing more; it's just some kind of challenge, to know what am I capable of, and to learn.

Quote (nushky @ Feb. 12 2008, 21:34)
I would say it begins very well but near the end too many instruments make it difficult to hear distinctly. I would not try to build up with too many instruments

Hum... that was my fear while recording it. At first, I just thought about doing a note-perfect copy of the original, and so I did, but I thought it sounded too "plain", too repetitive, and also that's the feeling I used to get while listening this section (though, at the time when I didn't play, I wondered why it sounded both repetitive and changing at the same time... now I understand). That's why I tried to do something different.

I also considered the difficulty to hear everything distinctly, though, at the end, my intention was more focused on creating an atmosphere, rather than making each melody clear. And also, the ending is not meant to be so, an ending, since the second part will follow, and the mood created here will change then, creating (I hope) one of those sudden changes I like so much from TB.

However, I agree in that it may sound a little bit "saturated" at the end, though the problem can't be the usage of too many instruments, since I've just used three!! :D  I would say it needs better samples, and a little bit of that production magic I'm just unable to master (I just used a reverberation effect in an effort to simulate the sound from a concert hall, which probably made things worse).

Anyway, I get perfectly your point, and I'll try other formulas for this piece. More comments, anybody? Is it so bad? Are you tired of so many TB covers?  :D  ;)  ;)
Profile PM 
2 replies since Feb. 03 2008, 18:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net