Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TB - CD vs SACD, which to go for< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Daftyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 04:27

Hi folks,
I'm currently replacing all my 70s vinyl albums with the CD remasters.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether I should go for the HDCD Tubular Bells or the SACD?
I only have a normal CD system but I've been very impressed with the HDCDs.
Anybody been playing the SACD on a normal system?
Thanks,
Adrian
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 14:41

I have the HDCD of Hergest ridge and it is BRILLIANT! However I don't know what SACD is really so I can't compare........

HDCD for me  :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 16:52

To benefit from the high-definition, multi-channel capabilities of the SACD format, you need a special player supporting it, plus a 5.1 channel amplifier and speaker system.
On a plain CD player, you will only play the (usually present on SACDs) plain CD-Audio layer.
Profile PM WEB 
Daftyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 13:27

That's what I mean. Has anyone compared the plain CD-audio on the SACD to the HDCD version?
I want to buy one of these versions and there's a slight chance I might buy an SACD player at some point in the future. If they sound identical then I'll go for the SACD. If the HDCD sounds better then I'll go for that.
Cheers,
Adrian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 10:14

They're both basically from the same 24 bit master. The standard issue CD may sound a tiny bit different, having been through the HDCD process (it acts like a limiter, unless the CD is played back on HDCD-compatible equipment, in which case the dynamic range is extended beyond that threshold - it's like a digital version of the Dolby/DBX noise reduction system, really), but I think the differences are neglibible. It really depends how subtle a difference you're looking for - the different reflectivity of the dual layer SACD compared with the single layer HDCD may make a slight difference to the sound, depending on the player, but again, I think we'd be talking something tiny (but if you're someone who notices that certain brands of CD-R sound better than others, then the difference may bother you). Hearing such differences would really involve setting up two identical players, putting one disc into each, and switching very quickly between them (ensuring, of course, that all levels were matched). I've never done such a comparison, so I can't actually help you with any answer (I think I've only played the CD layer of the SACD a few times, actually). They both have sounded fine to me, when played on their own.

The stereo SACD layer is noticeably more detailed though, and I find that the surround mix sounds particularly nice, so if you're considering getting an SACD player, I would recommend getting the SACD. It'll be worth hearing, when/if you finally get that player.
Profile PM 
Daftyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 11:40

Thanks for the detailed reply. Considering the chances of getting a HDCD player are tiny, I think I'll go for the SACD.
Adrian
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 11:59

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 17 2005, 10:14)
They're both basically from the same 24 bit master.

I thought the SACD Quad mix was transferred directly to DSD from the original analog tapes, not from a digital 24-bit master, no?
Profile PM WEB 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2010, 17:02

Why not get a good hi-fi turntable (diect drive quartz lock) and fit a really good cartridge to it? That would be better than any digital hashery.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 09 2011, 13:52

Quote (dobyblue @ July 08 2009, 15:59)
Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 17 2005, 10:14)
They're both basically from the same 24 bit master.

I thought the SACD Quad mix was transferred directly to DSD from the original analog tapes, not from a digital 24-bit master, no?

It's questions like this that make me wish I kept more detailed notes of my sources!

I probably wasn't too clear about what I was talking about there - as the original post was about playing it on an ordinary CD player, I was referring to the SACD's PCM layer.

As far as I'm aware, both the stereo mixes on the SACD are from the 1998 remaster, which was 24 bit PCM as far as I can recall (but where I got that information, I no longer remember...). The multichannel layer was mastered specially for the SACD release and - though I'm not sure if I remember hearing anything about it - I think you're probably right that it's a direct to DSD transfer.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Sep. 09 2005, 04:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net