Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Taurus II" Cover, Ryan Yard Transcription< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 11 2011, 02:15

@ Gus, I hope you are good at rapid repeated notes for the opening riff ;) Think Bach's Toccata in terms of technique.

In terms of recording the piece, I would suggest doing it in 3 stages as the piece is structured so that the main riff plays 3 times at approximately 20 minute intervals if that helps?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 06:13

Hi Gus,

I really enjoyed that, excellent playing!  As Sordel said, given the lack of guitar I think it works very well. I did miss the four count intro (I thought the speakers were muted! ) but that's only because it's so ingrained from the original.  Certainly not a detraction though.

Looking forward to Amarok! (Will there be 'contents of aeromodeller's toolbox'??? :D )

Cheers

Rob

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 19:59

Quote (Tubular Tos @ July 03 2011, 01:06)
:laugh: Don't ask " why " to Mike ! He doesn't like these " why" questions !  :laugh:

I like thes four "clicks" at the start i think they are "indivisible" from the rest of the track !

Mike, why did you make 'Tubular Bells'????

Arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 23:48

Quote (Delfín @ July 11 2011, 19:59)
Quote (Tubular Tos @ July 03 2011, 01:06)
:laugh: Don't ask " why " to Mike ! He doesn't like these " why" questions !  :laugh:

I like thes four "clicks" at the start i think they are "indivisible" from the rest of the track !

Mike, why did you make 'Tubular Bells'????

Arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What puzzles me is that other artists don't get asked such questions....
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 23:31

@ Bag O'Secrets- Thanks! As for Amarok, I'm going to try to recreate all the weird sound effects to the best of my ability. I'm really trying to offer a view of the piece from a different perspective- from a keyboardist's instead of a guitarist. The ending is going to be difficult to do justice, as will most of the parts with vocals, but I think I'll be able to figure something out.

@ Ryan- I actually paused your latest video blog on the part where you showed the sheet music; I have been practicing that intro. The rapid repeated notes aren't as hard as I were afraid they would be, I almost have it up to speed...of course that's just the first three measures of the same thing.

In other news, next week I will be performing "Taurus II" live on grand piano, with a trombone accompanist. I will be filming the performance and posting it here.
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 22 2011, 06:36

Quote (GusFogle @ July 21 2011, 23:31)
@ Bag O'Secrets- Thanks! As for Amarok, I'm going to try to recreate all the weird sound effects to the best of my ability. I'm really trying to offer a view of the piece from a different perspective- from a keyboardist's instead of a guitarist. The ending is going to be difficult to do justice, as will most of the parts with vocals, but I think I'll be able to figure something out.

@ Ryan- I actually paused your latest video blog on the part where you showed the sheet music; I have been practicing that intro. The rapid repeated notes aren't as hard as I were afraid they would be, I almost have it up to speed...of course that's just the first three measures of the same thing.

In other news, next week I will be performing "Taurus II" live on grand piano, with a trombone accompanist. I will be filming the performance and posting it here.

Hey Gus fantastic and exciting news about the upcoming Taurus performance and I agree totally with your view on presenting Amarok in a new light. At the end of the day you are not a guitarist and there are masses of complex guitar parts on the album which I am very curious to hear in a keyboard heavy arrangement.

There is one tricky part that you will need nimble fingers for which is the very fast waltz guitar solo (not sure if you know the bit I mean. It looks easy enough on the page but the tempo is very fast so good luck with that :) )

All is going well, new blog to be added today.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 22 2011, 07:02

The fast waltz of course, 22:30.

That's one of my favorite runs from that album. I'm really looking forward to playing that part. The first time I heard that part, I said to myself, "This would be fun to play!" The Ommadawn-like triplet riff around 36:45 or so will be interesting too.

I think my favorite "easy to play" part of the album is around 49:50 where the key changes to Db major through 51:00.
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 03:00

Here is some footage of a recent live performance I did of Taurus II, with a friend playing bass trombone. The footage isn't the best quality.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o_title

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o_title
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 07:12

Hey Gus,

Really good stuff here, I think it is really impressive that you have reduced such a long and complex piece down to piano and trombone. In a way it makes you realise how complex and virtuosic some of the parts are. I'm sure you will agree that there are several places where it's possible for your fingers to get tied in knots.

I hope you get the feedback and attention this deserves as it is a very impressive achievement.

Well done!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
28 replies since July 01 2011, 13:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net