Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Taurus 3, Correlation between taurus 1, 2 and 3< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HR lover Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2011, 08:29

Ok I think I can see the correlation between Taurus 1 and 2. But with Taurus 3 I can't see it at all. Maybe they're all kinda dynamic? If you know more about this than please do tell.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2011, 09:03

Quote (HR lover @ Jan. 27 2011, 08:29)
Ok I think I can see the correlation between Taurus 1 and 2. But with Taurus 3 I can't see it at all. Maybe they're all kinda dynamic? If you know more about this than please do tell.

I can't see much of a connection either, but I expect Ugo can - he's very good at indicating patterns in music.  :)
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2011, 10:12

I agree, I have thought about this a lot since there are obvious correlations in all other "sequels" Mike has made. I'm pretty sure there is no real correlation music wise at least. The themes and melodies are entirely different. It would be interesting to know if someone heard anything.

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 27 2011, 10:53

The two posibilities I can think of is: either Mike made Taurus 3 as a lighthearted, good humoured little coda to the series; or he couldn't think of a good title for the piece, and decided to title it that way for convenience's sake. The first alternative seems quite likely to me.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2011, 02:41

They are named after his zodiac sign.

Reading far to much into this I'd gathered they represent his first 3 decades of life.
Which would explain the varying mood of all three.

Being at a positive stage of his career at 30 may explain why T3 is as Sir M stated. :D
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2011, 05:49

Being a fellow Taurean I quite agree....certainly the sort of thing I would do and us Taureans are very alike.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2011, 07:02

Wouldn't you say that the opening of Taurus 3 is a major riff on the slightly minor bit of Taurus 2 just following the Five Mile Out referencing opening (unless that was vice versa), about 2 minutes in?  Thereafter, heaven only knows.  Perhaps she can illustrate :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2011, 10:49

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 28 2011, 07:02)
Wouldn't you say that the opening of Taurus 3 is a major riff on the slightly minor bit of Taurus 2 just following the Five Mile Out referencing opening (unless that was vice versa), about 2 minutes in?  Thereafter, heaven only knows.  Perhaps she can illustrate :D

You mean the theme that also appears in orabidoo right? I think not... They have some similarities, but the patterns and notes seems to be too different to be related I think.

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2011, 20:45

Quote (Hastengas @ Jan. 28 2011, 05:49)
Being a fellow Taurean I quite agree....certainly the sort of thing I would do and us Taureans are very alike.

I hope Ophiuchus won't screw that up; it chills me to imagine the massive paradoxes that would arise if the zodiac boundaries get rearranged as suggested. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 04:59

Quote (bob the screamer @ Jan. 27 2011, 15:12)
I'm pretty sure there is no real correlation music wise at least. The themes and melodies are entirely different.

I agree.

As for the zodiac link, it depends what your astrological sign is. If it's 'Taurus' that's got strong macho sounding connotations which fits the music well. Lucky for Mike that's his sign. Other good ones might be 'Aries', 'Leo' or 'Capricorn', although there's a film called "Capricorn I".

I'm a 'Scorpio' and I can't imagine using that unless it was for some heavy metal tune. You definately couldn't use 'Cancer'. And 'Libra', 'Pisces' or 'Virgo' are quite feminine sounding - might have suited some of the Light + Shade tracks.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 06:36

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 29 2011, 04:59)
I'm a 'Scorpio' and I can't imagine using that unless it was for some heavy metal tune. You definately couldn't use 'Cancer'. And 'Libra', 'Pisces' or 'Virgo' are quite feminine sounding - might have suited some of the Light + Shade tracks.

"Pisces" rhymes with Crises, and the water imagery of the album sleeve would have fitted with that. But again, it had to be Taurus, simply because it's an emblem for autobiographical music.

I'm a Pisces, by the way - I'll have to try to suppress my feminine side at the next martial arts class!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 07:02

But what if Mike hadn't been a 'Taurus'. What then?

What if he'd been a 'Cancer'? Who thought up these zodiac names because that's a rubbish name btw. You wouldn't want to use that word as an emblem for autobiographical music.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 08:55

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 29 2011, 21:02)
But what if Mike hadn't been a 'Taurus'. What then?

What if he'd been a 'Cancer'? Who thought up these zodiac names because that's a rubbish name. You wouldn't want to use that word as an emblem for autobiographical music.

Go On..... ;)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 09:30

Quote (milamber @ Jan. 29 2011, 13:55)
Go On..... ;)

Oh, thanks for prompting me there Milamber. I'd like to explain further. ;)

What I'm leading up to is the conclusion that Mike, being an ordinary bloke, was and is damned lucky to be blessed with an ordinary blokish sounding star sign like TAURUS. I'll go so far as to say he knew he was lucky, and a bit cavalier with it in naming THREE pieces of music, TaurusI, Taurus2 and Taurus3. Almost flaunting it.

The rest of us may not be blessed with such cool sounding astrological names. I don't like mine - Scorpio. Maybe he could have underplayed it for the sake of our sensibilities.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 09:46

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 29 2011, 09:30)
What I'm leading up to is the conclusion that Mike, being an ordinary bloke, was and is damned lucky to be blessed with an ordinary blokish sounding star sign like TAURUS.

I don't buy any of this. Cancer might have had unpleasant connotations and couldn't be used, but to me the other star signs aren't overly masculine or feminine.

Now tell me, Wiga, this star nonsense...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 09:53

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 29 2011, 09:30)
a bit cavalier with it in naming THREE pieces of music,

Four pieces. One is a lost version.  :p
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 11:37

As another Piscean I'm internalising my emotions at the moment...

We have various ancient types to thank for the names.  At some point someone in Greece was dogged enough to look at one constellation, say that they saw a crab, and keep on about it until anyone still saying the Babylonians were right in thinking it looked a bit like a crayfish was laughed out of town.  Likewise the medical man who looked at the veins in a tumour and thought them crab-like.

In the words of another doctor:  "I love humans.  Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there."

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 13:07

"Cancer" isn't really a rubbish name if you consider the original meaning of the word: crab, in Latin. The constellation wasn't named after the disease or vice-versa; it's just an unhappy coincidence.

I honestly don't care about star signs or the Zodiac. I only know the star signs of people close to me mostly because my older sister, and a few other people, are quite serious about it. I don't know the star sign of my own girlfriend and I never bothered to look. Why would I want to know? Just so that some people will start saying that we were not made for each other? No, thanks.

As for my own sign, I'm happy to call myself an Ophiuchus. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 17:28

Ophiuchus that sounds like a good idea.

But changing the signs would make me a Tubl-Arian no more :/

Aries very misunderstood people :laugh:

Taurus 1 0-10 full of discovery (no not that one ;) ).
Taurus 2 11-20 teen angst and wonder.
Taurus 3 21-30 an artist in full flight .

Only kidding ,sounded good though. (pun intended).
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2011, 17:58

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 29 2011, 13:07)
As for my own sign, I'm happy to call myself an Ophiuchus. :)

Ophiuchus is the constellation of the Serpent Bearer. May you bear your serpent proudly, Sir M, and learn to enjoy Serpent Dream!  :D
Profile PM 
24 replies since Jan. 27 2011, 08:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net