Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Taurus 2, A surprising lack of a cover..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 10 2004, 21:25

Recently I've become very interested in Taurus 2 and have also found no cover tracks of it anywhere. I know the Crises Group Project is still in effect and I guess people are busy and not contributing to it much so I understand if this idea is not possible for anybody.

I propose to make a Taurus 2 cover. Or at least just the first 8 minutes of it. I'm not looking for a 'Group Project 3'. A couple people would be fine. I ran into walls when trying to make my own cover which is the reason I'm asking for help ;). I would want to record guitar and maybe even drums, but the rest would be up for grabs. But if there's another guitarist interested I wouldn't mind trading solos around or even doing duets (always fun! ).

I realise maybe nobody could do it or would want to with busy schedules or whatever. I'm in no hurry to make it, either. I'm just throwing the proposition out there. If anyone ever gets interested in doing a cover of Taurus 2, I'm game to go for one.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 10:55

I'd be happy to work on absoloutely any group project. I like the idea of Taurus 2

Not having a copy of it to hand, aren't the first eight minutes just guitars, drums and Maggie Reily anyway? I don't fancy doing the latter :D but I might have a go with the vocoder

Like BOOsTER, I would be best suited to synthesised backings and keyboard work. Compared with Crises, Taurus 2 doesn't have barely any synth work in it. I guess the brass sounds would be OK, but they crop up a bit later on
Profile PM 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 15:23

I've never tried playing Taurus 2, but I'm up for playing bass if I can figure it out (or failing that, find a tab!;). I've got 3 weeks off uni coming up so it'll give me something to do with my time!

Studying? Eh? What's that?  :p

David
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 19:41

That's cool, 2distortedguitars. We don't really have to do a straight copy either. With what you got when can make a slightly different version maybe to work around with the instruments that we have.

And dbruce, a bass would be nice. Besides Crises and Ktran who has just gotten a new bass I don't think there are any other bassists on the boards. Well, Richard maybe too. Anyways, if you can't find a tab or can't figure it out by yourself I could try having a go at helping to tab it out.

This is all we really need. Synthesizer, guitar, drums, and bass and vocoder :). We don't need a whole lot of people. But if anyone else wants to help out with something then I don't see why they couldn't be incorporated in it.

Ok, I think the way we'll work it out is for you, 2distortedguitars, to make the backing track first and we'll all add our parts after that. Even if it's just a basic version so we can get the timing right and then after that you can rerecord your stuff or add the rest to your liking. Just so we have something to work with all together.

Also, do you not have a copy of Taurus 2, 2distortedguitars? Or am I understanding you wrong? If you can't get a hold of a copy I can probably hook you up with the first 8 minutes somehow. If that's all we're doing of Taurus 2, that is. Maybe after we finish the first 8 minutes we can look at the other parts and see if it's worth doing or not.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 12:48

Cool. Thanks for including me Brandon

I do have FMO along with most of his other albums, but I don't have it with me at the moment. I am going home in two weeks time (Sat 20th) just like dbruce, so I should have a backing track ready soon afterwards.

I'll probably put rough versions of the live instrumental parts as a guide. It'll seem a bit empty otherwise

This creates a bit of a delay. While you're waiting though, you could work out the guitar, bass and drum parts if you haven't already done so

Also if you're feeling a tad more ambitious I know that Yuval and Sir Mustapha have access to female vocalists. If you are interested maybe you could have a go at recording this part
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 01:04

Quote (2distortedguitars @ Mar. 12 2004, 12:48)
I'll probably put rough versions of the live instrumental parts as a guide. It'll seem a bit empty otherwise

There's more synth than just the brass sections. There's strings and everything there. And if it does soud empty, add stuff so it doesn't ;). I'd kinda want the final product to sound more 'full' than the original. More complete. Taurus 2 (being the excellency that it is in it's current form) is more like a garage-band mix..sorta...kinda thing. If you know what I mean. I'd like it to feel more like the quality of...say TB2. Or possibly more appropriately, The Lake.

But if anyone else has some ideas that would be better or would add to it, I'd like to hear them!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 07:11

give me a week and i'd happily record some bass/guitar parts.

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 10:21

Well I listened to Taurus 2 the other night for the first time in *ages*, and played about trying to figure out the 'gist' of the first 8 minutes, which went pretty well. For a track I've only listened to once in perhaps the six moths, I was very amazed that I had a full five-minute section of it swirling around in my head when I woke up this morning! Very bizarre!

Anyway, I should be able to handle the bass, whether I settle for the simple or complicated line I've yet to decide. I've not listened to it yet, but how is the MIDI on this site for playing with? Is it the kind of arrangement we would want to use as a basis for recording alongside?

David
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 10:23

Well, dbruce asked for bass first. Maybe you can talk to him about trading sections with him to play. Or guitars with me. Or both.

Here's an idea I've had for a while for 2 guitarists. We can do really quick trade-offs in one section of music. Like the part at around 4:19. A this point when they played Taurus 2 on the Crises Premiere (I don't know if you've heard it. If not I can probably hook you up) Mike and another guitarist take turns playing every other bar. You'd have to hear the concert to really know what I mean. It's a tad hard to explain. Like, Mike would play the beginning of the riff and the other guitarist would jump in and play the last bit of it and then Mike would start it again and stop quickly and the other guitarist would jump in again and finish it off and would continue like this until the part at around 4:48 when they play at the same time.

You can work out parts with dbruce for the bass if you want to do both.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 10:26

DBRUCE: 2distortedguitars (or James for short) is going to make a backing track we can follow along with. I'd rather not work with a MIDI again. I don't trust them :). He said he'll get his copy of FMO this friday coming and will work on it the following week. For now we should just figure out our parts and which parts we're going to record and how we'll play it and where etc. If it becomes neccessary to have a backing track sooner we can find a MIDI somewhere. But the original should be enough.

'Tis going to be great!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 12:52

I'm open to playing guitar if Crises wants to play bass. I've just played along with it a couple of times (on guitar), and really like some of the lead parts, so I'd probably prefer to play guitar now - whether it's some lead bits, trading solos or just backing bits. Just let me know what suits everyone else. I'm easy. :p

Thanks for pointing out the live version, Brandon - sounds like a great idea for the solos!

David
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 19:52

Ok then. If you guys wanna switch up bass and guitar that's cool.

Here's the solos and my ideas for them:

For the beginning we'll just play at the same time. Nice and chaotic :).

1:15 = the 'discordant' guitar notes. I'd like to do these. Actually now that I think of it, in the live concert Mike was trading off with the other guitarist here also. We could do that.

2:02 = fast riffing guitars. This might be interesting if we both played it at the same time, actually. You could go ahead and play the part at 2:20 on guitar, though. And improvise if you feel the need ;) . And I'll do the power chords in the background.

3:05 = I just love this part. I want to play it :D. Here's another idea though. To 'share' the solo I could play that first part and then you play the repeating part at 3:43 and then I come back and play the part again at 4:07. And then of course at 4:19 we'll be trading off over and over again and playing at the same time when 4:48 comes around.

5:00 = we could also take turns here. Though, we don't want too much trading like this I suppose lol. Would probably be annoying with so many changes. It might be best to just hear one guitar for a while by itself sometimes. You can take this one.

5:37 = You can take that one too. When 7:17 rolls around I can either take it from there or we can both play it in harmony or something. Either way since this will probably be the finish of the piece it should be nice and climax-y so both guitars doing something would sound great.

After we finish the first 8 minutes we could go and do the rest if everyone is still up for it.

What do you think? Do you guys have any ideas? If you think I'm hogging some solos please tell me! If you want to do some solos in particular let me know what they are.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 08:17

Totally up to you mate (this is your project) but i'm available if you need me ;).

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 08:39

Well, if dbruce wants to play the guitar, you can go ahead and grab the bass parts, Crises.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 10:59

[JOKEY POST :)]

Give me something to record my output and I'll play all of the keyboard parts. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 13:50

Ugo:

audacity.sourceforge.net

Still quite a clumsy program, but it'll get the job done. Now, sir, you've run out of excuses.

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 14:15

Khoa actually I don't think he needs software :)
I think he misses a microphone and a recording device :)

if I guess right Ugo? :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 17:55

You guessed perfectly right, Booster. I'm lacking the physical means to record sounds properly. And by 'properly' of course I don't mean recording them into a computer. :)

@ Khoa: come down here with a portable 8-track or somethin' (even an old Tascam would do...), and tape me. :D :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 17:58

Can you not move the keyboard to near the computer? All it needs then is a cable, that shouldn't cost more than a few euros...depends how eager you are to do it, of course.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2004, 18:37

8-track portastudios can't cost that much nowadays seeing as you are devoted to recording in analogue. I guess you need an old-fashioned 50s microphone to go with that :D

Regarding progress of the project: I've experimented with drum samples and effects in 'Logic', the sequencer I'm using to write the backing track.

What I've got so far could be implemented well once I know how it properly goes. I might have trouble with getting the multitude of tom sounds that Simon Philips achieved and also the long cymbal rolls. I'll cross that bridge, or more appropriately take that dive, when I get to it!
Profile PM 
61 replies since Mar. 10 2004, 21:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net