[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tapping Emotions, Does the music move you?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2007, 15:02

Quote (onion @ Aug. 24 2007, 13:16)
Normally I would track you down and hunt you with a 18 ton semi-truck for that stunt, but even for a pea you´re such a peach so it ain't gonna happen

Thank you, onion. What a lovely thing to say.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2007, 15:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 24 2007, 19:15)
I don't doubt there is a side of "feeling the music" and what the artist meant with it, but the listener needs to have a willingness to "fall" for that, initially, however subconscious it might be.

There you have it exactly. The listener needs to be willing to 'fall' for it. There's an act of faith involved. You open yourself; get yourself out of the way as much as possible; place yourself in the hands of the artist. It is, of course, risky. The artist may let you down, or your own perceptions may let you down. But it's worth the risk, because when it works, it's magic. When it works, windows of perception slam open. You see, hear, sense aspects of the world that you never knew before. The reward for taking the risk (if it works) is that you're changed. You're richer. A new dimension of experience has opened up.

There is an alternative approach to art, which involves keeping your preconceptions intact; trusting your own ideas, not the artist's; adjusting the art to your own likes and dislikes by dismissing the stuff that doesn't fit comfortably. There's a lot of pleasure to be had using this method, because there's a lot of good art out there - but the method has one great disadvantage: it doesn't permit you to grow. At the end you see the world in just the same way as you did before. No new windows; no fresh perceptions.

It boils down in the end to a choice about what you want from art (in this case, music). Method 2 can bring a lot of fun and pleasure, and we all indulge in it to some extent. But method 1 can have consequences that may change your life in profound ways.
Profile PM 
Margit Anna Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2007, 07:32

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 24 2007, 14:15)
For example you are writing a story, and you are in a very bad personal situation, would you be able to write a funny story? I don't think so. If you would try it in that bad mood, any attempt to be funny would sound like a sarcastic remark.

Kraftwerk made a very stereotype music. How can you get emotions when you are listening to a computer tune.

Everone who is able to use music programms on the computer can play that tunes in the same way. But it is not so easy to play a song on the guitar with the same intensity and feeling, like Mike Oldfield does. You would always notice the difference, if you tried.

In the end, what I'm saying is that emotion can't be measured. Emotion doesn't exist in the sound; it's external. It's like the cultural significance of a piece of music. When you write music, you write notes, chords, melodies, but not emotion - and that's true for synthesizers, guitars, pianos, etc.. The perceived emotion in music is the product of a much grander scheme of things, which also involves the listener.

Sir Mustafa: "I understand what you say and where you're coming from, Margit (at least, I believe I am). We come from different schools of thought, I guess, and both seem to work for each of us individually. Still, I do have my personal conceptions on what listening to music means and is. What I meant to say is that I don't doubt there is a side of "feeling the music" and what the artist meant with it, but the listener needs to have a willingness to "fall" for that, initially, however subconscious it might be. And even then, our idea of what the artist meant might be completely wrong! How are we ever going to check that out without reading about the artist, and the circumstances under which his art was made?"

Answer: "Of course we never know what the musician felt when he created his music, how could we? You are right, that we only get to know, when he tells us. But I think that we sometimes can feel when someone felt depressed and unhappy for any reason when he plaid certain tunes. It is not only the chord he chose, it is also his way of playing the piece on his guitar.
I myself don't need much willingness to feel something, it is there and I can't help it. Some parts cut into my heart, so that it nearly pains. Maybe some people are more sensitive and some are less, I don't know. Mike Oldfield is not the only one musician I like, I like lots more, but nobody ever touched me so much with his music emotionally. I don't want to say that I know what he felt, cause I don't. I just can say that I get different emotions by listening to his music and I think that he is able to transfer emotions.
You are free to have your own opinion, everyone is entitled to that and I respect that. We are all different and that is good so."

Sir Mustafa: "I have written stories before, and I have to say it's perfectly possible for one to write comedy while in a bad state of mind. It's a bit misleading to mention specifically comedy, which is one of the most difficult things to write - but, for examples, I have written rather dramatic and dark stories while living very pleasant moments, and it has been likewise with several people I know."

Answer: "I also wrote some stories, Mustafa. My compliment to you, when you are able to write comedy when you are not in a funny mood. I could not do that. Was it the same kind of humour as you normally have when you are in a good, relaxed mood?
I think it is easier to write a dramatic story, independent on the state of your mind, than to write something humorous, as that is more difficult as you said yourself and I need to be in the right condition."

Sir Mustafa: "What's the core difference between a piece played on an electric guitar and a piece played on a synthesizer, other than the instrument it's played in? Both require talent and skill, and you can be equally expressive with both; or can't you? Both require electronic circuits, both are hand played... There's no difference. I mentioned Kraftwerk specifically to be annoying, but I'll use Autechre, instead: Amber is an album which, in my opinion, has much more depth and atmosphere than Mike Oldfield's entire output since Tubular Bells II, and I get honest, heartfelt emotions out of it when I'm in the right mood."

Answer: There is a huge difference between a piece plaid on the computer and plaid on the guitar. On the computer you are able to alter everything so, that it sounds perfect. Every single note is where it should be, everything is exactly in time.  It is so perfect, that the personality is getting lost. The charming thing on a human is the unperfection. Also when he is a perfectionist, he won't be able to be exact every time and there will be some little faults. And you hear not only clear notes, you also hear when the little sliding tone when he moves his fingers on the strings.
When you play a piece on the guitar , you play it like you feel it at that moment and that happens impulsive in that special moment. When you transfer the same on to the computer some time afterwards, you can alter it to sound natural nowadays, I know, but you never can transfer the emotion you had in that special moment. That's why it never will sound the same.
I don't know if Kraftwerk are still making music. I just know them from lots of years ago and that time the technology was not very good and it was not possible to make computer music sound natural. Sorry, I don't know the other people you mentioned."

Sir Mustafa: "It's not like that. The computer doesn't act according to its own will. It doesn't produce music on its own. Knowing how the software works, how the sounds are generated and altered, and how to manipulate that can be every bit as challenging as learning how to manipulate a guitar. Just as a synthesizer can be performed in a mediocre, automatic manner, so can a guitar. The power of expression of instruments don't depend on how difficult they are to play. If that was the case, a violin would always sound invariably better than a piano, and you wouldn't want to tell that to Beethoven if you valued your life..."

Answer: "I know that Mustafa. I was a singer in a band and I spent lots of times in my life with musicians. And I know a little about computers. When you create something on the computer, you are working on every single part until it sounds right for you. You are able to move and change things until you are satisfied with the result. But that is not an impulsive action, it is planned and you are aware of what you are doing. When you are playing an instrument, it comes out immediately with all your emotions and you can't change anything."

Anyway, I don't want to convince you of something. It is nice to talk about music, also when we have different opinions.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 19:41

Quote (Margit Anna @ Aug. 25 2007, 07:32)
On the computer you are able to alter everything so, that it sounds perfect. Every single note is where it should be, everything is exactly in time.  It is so perfect, that the personality is getting lost. The charming thing on a human is the unperfection. Also when he is a perfectionist, he won't be able to be exact every time and there will be some little faults. And you hear not only clear notes, you also hear when the little sliding tone when he moves his fingers on the strings.
When you play a piece on the guitar , you play it like you feel it at that moment and that happens impulsive in that special moment. When you transfer the same on to the computer some time afterwards, you can alter it to sound natural nowadays, I know, but you never can transfer the emotion you had in that special moment. That's why it never will sound the same.

To me, this sounds more applicable to an argument for live performance over studio recording, rather than 'computers vs hand-played'. The term 'perfection' loses some of its relevance, I think, when talking about one person's artistic vision. An artist can tinker in the studio until he deems his work perfect, and it might well be a perfect realization of his vision. Whether the audience sees it that way is another matter (and possibly shouldn't matter). But such an exercise is not exclusive to computers.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 13:13

I'm currently listening to Incantations right now and I'm having a preference to albums like Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge and Amarok. To me it's the screeching guitar, the ingenious arrangement of instruments and the warmth of analogue music that pulls me closer towards Mike's music more than any artist out there. It's this personal element that separates Mike from equally brilliant electronic music artists like Jean-Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Enigma and Aphex Twin. I love a big lot of their musical output and they equally have my respect, but Mike's the guy that I look up to.

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 13:25

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 19 2007, 19:41)
To me, this sounds more applicable to an argument for live performance over studio recording, rather than 'computers vs hand-played'. The term 'perfection' loses some of its relevance, I think, when talking about one person's artistic vision. An artist can tinker in the studio until he deems his work perfect, and it might well be a perfect realization of his vision. Whether the audience sees it that way is another matter (and possibly shouldn't matter). But such an exercise is not exclusive to computers.

That's a good point, indeed. As a fact, just because you can, on a computer, program everything towards perfection doesn't mean you have to do that. And what I originally meant was not about trying to make computers sound "natural". Computers should simply sound the way they should, and it's hopeless to use the exact same parameters when comparing hand-played music with computer-played music. The fact is that there is a brain working behind the instruments, be them electronic or not. Whatever you can transfer into an electric guitar, for example, you can also transfer into a synthesizer. The results are different, but that's true for any combination of different instruments.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2007, 20:58

Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn are both albums that make me feel on the verge of tears, and almost always make me feel calm afterwards.

Also, TB3 puts me through such a range of emotions it is always a rollercoaster. But, the two tracks on the album that really make me positively quiver with emotion are the wonderful The Top of the Morning and the climactic, spine-tingling spectacular that is Far Above The Clouds.

Other moments that make me feel a strong emotion are the climax of Taurus I, the dreamy feel of Molly, Tattoo, The Bell and Portsmouth.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 09:25

First Excursion always sounds to me like a great torrent of anger and sorrow,as if Mike was feeling some terrible loss.Of course now we know why (recorded in August 76 it was a year or so before the Exegesis seminar and about as bad as he ever got according to Changeling)but it doesn't detract from it.QE2/Finale though is a wonderfully exciting peice.For some reason it always puts me in mind of the Isle of Wight and the Solent. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 19:53

Mike's music has always had an impact for me on an emotional level.  Having come back to listening after some time away, I have been particularly impressed with TSODE from that perspective - can't wait to read the book to see if it has the same impact.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 03 2008, 03:45

Caveman, I was quite confused until I realized you'd written "Solent", not "Soylent".

Sir Mustapha spoke of 'openness' and 'vagueness', earlier, and while I don't necessarily believe those qualities apply to everything Mike's done, it did remind me that I was stunned to hear some people describe the latest, Music of the Spheres, as dark and somber when - to my mind - it is nearly overwhelmingly pleasant and light.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 03:19

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 18 2008, 19:53)
Mike's music has always had an impact for me on an emotional level.  Having come back to listening after some time away, I have been particularly impressed with TSODE from that perspective - can't wait to read the book to see if it has the same impact.

TR, I've been thinking about TSODE quite a lot recently. Besides my opinion that it's gorgeous and practically a perfect album, I also see it as 'healing' music. I've often turned to it when feeling blue or overly stressed. If I were of a more spiritual bent, I might say it's 'soul-soothing'.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 10:07

LOL.Definatley Solent!
Although i do love TSODE and am of a spritual pesuasion i never really thought of it as healing type of CD (listen to Les Penning's georgious The Worldes Goodnite for the perfect example of 'soul soothing'/healing).
 I will have a listen tonight.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 03:43

I think to describe TSODE as healing or soothing music is a very succint description I feel.Especialy thinking of tracks like Let There Be Light,Magellan,and Only Time Will Tell.Which when I`m really listening to that track in particular seems to have some kind of self empowering effect on me almost.It feels like I`m being lifted outside of myself sometimes when I`m listening to that section of music.The Sunken Forest/Ascension has a similar kind of effect on me as well.

And then perhaps best of all for me anyway is Crystal Clear.Which with it`s very deliberate and thoughtful build up.Perfectly coupled with that whole self hypnosis theme Mike had going on here of course.Just about sums up Sweetpea`s feelings for the album in a little 5 minute plus nutshell imho.I actually wish that "track" had been a little bit longer myself,or that he`d maybe introduced that theme somewhere else in the album as well.It`s just a very minor nit-pick though,as I really do love it the way it is anyway.

Incidentaly there was a piece of music kicking around about the same time as TSODE called  The Hypnotist by a "band" called Sisterlove.Anyway very similar to Mike`s Crystal Clear track I always felt,using the same kind of self-hypnosis thing as it`s main theme/backdrop.I don`t think it`s quite in the same league as Mike`s track,although I did wonder at the time if Mike had checked it out somehow.I`m pretty sure the Sisterlove track actually pre-dates TSODE by a couple of years.Although it did`nt really come to prominence until it was released on the first Cafe Del Mar compilation in 94 the same year as TSODE.Anyway it`s worth a little listen,quite a nice piece of music all in all.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 21:42

Quote (Dirk Star @ May 08 2008, 03:43)
I think to describe TSODE as healing or soothing music is a very succint description I feel.Especialy thinking of tracks like Let There Be Light,Magellan,and Only Time Will Tell.Which when I`m really listening to that track in particular seems to have some kind of self empowering effect on me almost.

I'm glad to hear that, Dirk. With my occasional talk of Mike's music as 'healing' or 'soul-soothing', I almost cringe at how new-agey it comes across. Not that New Agism (?) is a bad thing, but it's very far from what I'm like. And, as far as I know, only Mike's music can make me talk like that. I don't even own a pair of sandals!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 18:06

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 17 2007, 07:30)
"Does the music move you?" Most definately! Of all the music I've listened to Mike continues to stand alone as my favourite musician, because his music consistantly moves me, in every possible way, more than any other artist.

Works of mikes that induce the feel good factor...hergest ridge, song of the sun, heavens open, holy, top of the morning, harmonia mundi, silouhette...better than any chill pill, deb
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 06:22

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 24 2007, 15:52)
The listener needs to be willing to 'fall' for it. There's an act of faith involved. You open yourself; get yourself out of the way as much as possible; place yourself in the hands of the artist. It is, of course, risky. The artist may let you down, or your own perceptions may let you down. But it's worth the risk, because when it works, it's magic. When it works, windows of perception slam open. You see, hear, sense aspects of the world that you never knew before. The reward for taking the risk (if it works) is that you're changed. You're richer. A new dimension of experience has opened up.

There is an alternative approach to art, which involves keeping your preconceptions intact; trusting your own ideas, not the artist's; adjusting the art to your own likes and dislikes by dismissing the stuff that doesn't fit comfortably. There's a lot of pleasure to be had using this method, because there's a lot of good art out there - but the method has one great disadvantage: it doesn't permit you to grow. At the end you see the world in just the same way as you did before. No new windows; no fresh perceptions.

It boils down in the end to a choice about what you want from art (in this case, music). Method 2 can bring a lot of fun and pleasure, and we all indulge in it to some extent. But method 1 can have consequences that may change your life in profound ways.

I like this quote from a Mr Alan D.

Method 1 permits you to grow - like a form of therapy I would say - Music Therapy.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 21:52

:p my mind is open to many things since encountering mikes music, life is now more technicolour than black or white, you sum up an analogy wiga that is profound and worth pondering on, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2009, 07:31

I'd definately agree.Music is so effective as a means of self therapy.I've had a lot of crap i've had to work through and still get times when the world feels against me.This is perfectly normal paranoia that everyone gets from time to time but i find if i pick up a guitar and play for a while it helps enormously,even if only for the time i'm playing.It enables you to take yourself somewhere else.
 Regarding Mike's music in particular his music is so emotionally involving it's hard not to give in to it.I find Ommadawn part 2 is a really calming peice.I love the Irish pipes (probably something to do with having Irish ancestry on my mum's side)and Paddy Maloney's playing is so peaceful that it can't help but calm you.I always think of a tranquil place with a waterfall and every other cliched Irish landscape you can think of.
 I also find MOTS is a great motivating peice.Fills me with energy and optimism every time.
I can't think of any other artists that can do that so effectively.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 03:55

You are travelling well caveman, its hard being a dad after divorce, but it sounds like you get on well with the girls, lots of love there, remember that when life feels like sh..e, and keep playing, it really helps, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 07:21

It's all good.I get on great with my girls.They are really very balanced kids too.I get depression so that's where the problems i get stem from and playing really helps with that.More effective than any prescription the doctor can give me and god knows i must have tried every one on the market by now.Life's pretty good really though.You just need to be able to see it that way. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
40 replies since Aug. 07 2007, 02:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net