Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tales of Topographic Oceans?, transition theme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 13:53

Several years ago, someone told me that the transition theme from "Incantations" is played in Yes' "Tales from Topographic Oceans". It was said to be played by Steve Howe. I've never heard "Tales", and will likely never find a copy. Has anyone who has heard both albums noticed this?

What I call the "transition theme" is the short bit that comes in the middle and at the end of the beginning 11/16 part on Side 1, and also at the end of the cold winter chill section of Side 4 (JUST before the vibes arrive). It also appears at the end of the separate single "Pipe Tune".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 16:02

I have only heard Tales... twice or so, but I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed... if I should feel like listening to that whole thing again anytime, I'll look out for that theme, though. Not that that is very likely, I can't say I liked the album all that much.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 19:43

@ Hiawatha: Would there be any chance that you remembered in which one of the album's four songs did Steve Howe play that theme? Is it maybe "The Ancient/Giants under the sun" (CD 2, track 1)? I was intelligent enough [or stupid enough? :D] to buy the album some time ago, but I have very little time to listen to all of it - the tracks are all very long (three of 'em are 20+ minutes), and, like Holger, I can't really say it's one of my all-time favourite albums. :) So what I'd like is some more precise details from you - if possible, of course. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 21:53

Sorry, it was more likely 10+ years ago. I told all I remembered in the question. I don't recall the section, if the guy mentioned it at all.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 16 2004, 05:47

I know what you're talking about. In fact, the very first time I listened to that bit from TFTO, I associated it with Incantations. It's from "The Remembering". Immediately before the "Relayer" chorus, Steve plays a little guitar melody. That melody is very similar to the high pitched melody that appears many times on Incantations part 1 - the very last thing that the flute plays at the very end of the piece. It's a very striking resemblance, indeed. But I'd call it a coincidence, or maybe something uncounscious. It's a very, very simple motif, after all.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2004, 09:00

*muses a bit after listening to the whole of The Remembering*

Hmmm - yes, I can hear the tune. But I also tend to consider it not much more than a coincidence [you see, every now and then I agree with you, Sir M.! :)]. On a side note, I didn't recall the vocals being so beautiful. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2004, 10:16

Thanks for figuring this out. If I ever find "Topo", I'll know where to look. It's one of the Yes albums that I don't have. As a "Panther" in the classification of Yes fans, I'm not sure where it should fit on my priority anyway.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2004, 17:54

Quote (hiawatha @ Nov. 16 2004, 16:16)
As a "Panther" in the classification of Yes fans

Wow, that must be about the nerdiest website I ever saw.  :p
(No offence, I can easily be as nerdy where it's about Mike - hey, maybe we need those "factions" here, too? No, not really :D))
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2004, 17:56

And it is all because "Man in a White Car" is my favorite Yes song.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 17 2004, 05:37

Hey, I didn't know about this "faction" thing. It is nerdy, but hey, I am a nerd (and proud of it). I guess I would be a Trooper myself, but then again, I don't have any Yes albums after "Going For The One".

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2004, 08:16

Hehe, I guess if I was a Yes fan, I'd definitely be a "Trooper", too. However, for some reason I've never been able to get into Yes nearly as much as into some of the other "big" prog bands (and even some of the not so big ones).

Still, I like the "Yeswholes" faction. :)
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 23:19

I've allways looked on Incantations as Mike's TFTO - both masterpieces, IMO. TFTO is by the way my all time favorite album.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2006, 04:28

Quote (hiawatha @ Nov. 16 2004, 22:56)
And it is all because "Man in a White Car" is my favorite Yes song.

Geoff Downes' solo's were pretty fantastic, when he got the chance. I saw the Drama show and was disappointed Mike didn't do more with him. If Mike had been more of a "band" type and had Geoff and Simon Phillips - what a supergroup Virgin would have had!

I've a leaning to YesWest myself, but gave up on the yesfans forum.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
zepboy Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 02:19

Tend to agree with Sir Mustapha - TFTO has a number of simple recurring themes, and was designed as a single piece of music.  I have been reminded of them in various songs over the years, not surprisingly.  I bought Incantations today, 15 years after first hearing Exposed, and 25 years after Tubular Bells.  It's great!
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 12:43

Tales is the best peice of matter ever conceived in the history of energy. It is a wonderful album, outclassing Incantations, making it laughable.
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 30 2007, 13:21

Can't say I've noticed the resemblence, but I recomend Tales From the Topographic Oceans. The first two/three times I heard I thought it was dull, but the fourth time it sounded just magical - the music opened like a giant flower!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since Nov. 15 2004, 13:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net