Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Symptons of Mike Oldfield Fanatics< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2000, 18:34

I'VE GOT IT!...i.e. my Tubular Bell pin...About a month ago I asked my jeweller friend to make a small version of the TB2 cover (my favourite one for a small-scale reproduction)...and he did just that!! So now I have an extremely precious item (it's gold, not silver as I said before), not so much for the amount of gold but because it's unique and non-reproductable. Well...almost. If someone of you out there is envying me, he can try to do the following:

1) Come here in Italy and visit Scanno [it's a nice town in the mountains of Abruzzo...you'll like it smile]. Bring with you your local-currency equivalent of 140,000 Italian Lire (that's the price he charged me) and the TB2 cover.
2) Once in Scanno, ask someone the way to Mr. Antonio Silla's jewellery. [Try to do this in Italian...they don't understand anything up there, apart from Italian and their own dialect... smile]
3) When you reach Antonio's shop, show him the TB2 cover and ask him to do the same as he did for Ugo Coppola, i.e. make a pin out of it. [Ditto as above for the language...]
5) Come back in a month's time. Your Tubular Pin might be ready. Don't forget to pay him! smile

I bet a true MO fanatic is willing to do all of the above...even learning Italian. biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2000, 18:39

P.S. Korgscrew, reaching such high numbers is not ridiculous at all. It's just normal for true fans who like to talk about everything and anything as long as it has a vague connection with Mike Oldfield. And the TW Forums exist just for that purpose... wink

--------------
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2000, 14:13

Buy Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000, get a Beech D18-S aircraft, paint it so that it will exactly look like that on the FMO cover, then fly over Scotland into a thunderstorm with engine failure. I actually did this and it was fantastic! If you are a true Oldfield fanatic, buy FS2000 only for this reason! Can you hold your heading true?
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 04:46

How do I qualify for being a fanatic. I've only done these (and various others that have already been mentioned on this forum)?

Reconfiguring your desktop to include as many icons of the Bell as possible?
Setting your sounds system on your computer to include different bytes of the original TB?
Attempting to sabotage your school bell so that it plays the opening theme, each instrument in the Master of Ceremonies section, the Piltdown man, and the Hornpipe at the start/end of each lesson (one different sound per lesson, not all of them at each bell)? (plus alternate schemes for TBII and TBIII (we haven't come up with an Ommadawn theme yet- can you help?))
Spending half of an English lesson scrawling And the Man In the Rain...?
Constantly referring to MO in sensible conversation to people who have no understanding of MO or his existence (as in everyone else at my school)?
Tapping the whole of TB with a pencil while everyone else is working, especially the Hornpipe, because you want to?

Does this qualify for being a fanatic or just severe insanity?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 06:05

Here's my report on playing MO to other people which I managed to do in the last 6 weeks

[the person who I share a dorm with gets new desktop speakers with a subwoofer. He leaves the room, his friend is still in there doing prep. I play the opening of TSODE connecting it to my CD player]
[after a while]Person doing prep: "This is a bit wierd. What's this?"
Me: [showing CD cover to him] "There's also a CD-Rom track with this, but I'm not able to play it as it's for Mac. This isn't that wierd. I show you something that is..."
[puts on AMAROK(!) person doing prep still has to concentrate on that more than me though. I only play bits of it and skip to the wierd bits just to show him. Plays the russian section]
Person doing prep: "That sounds like a time bomb"
Me: "It pans really quickly as well"
Person doing prep: "Is it doing it now?"
Me: "Yes, but it finishes in a second..."
Person doing prep:[after being shown the other mad and experimental sections] "What made you buy this record?"
Me:[doesn't answer, but says] "My ambition is to get one of the music staff to listen to this all the way through. It's by far the best record which I'll ever own"
Person doing prep: "OK"
Me: [goes on to play MFTB. Points out the swearing at the end. That's about it really]

He was never converted. I just did that excersise to try out the other person's speakers and because I wanted to listen to Let There Be Light

Has anybody else done anything like this and what were their stories on converting people
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 06:44

Here's a similar story. It's about a friend of mine, Max, who was a huge fan of Lucio Battisti [a very popular 70s/early 80s Italian singer]. We usually meet in the same record shop, which is owned by another common friend of us, called Marco. [He has almost nothing by MO...what a shame! frown] One day, about a month ago, I was talking about MO with Marco and Max said to me: "Mike Oldfield? Isn't he that guy who wrote Moonlight Shadow and the main theme of The Exorcist?" rolleyes As usual, I explained to him that MO didn't write a theme for the movie, they used a bit of TB. He knew TB by name...but he never listened to it before. So I made him listen to it. [Marco had a vinyl copy in his shop!!] He was hypnotized.
I saw him yesterday. I asked him if he still listened to MO. He said: "Well, that TB thing aroused my curiosity..." Then I went to his house... he had bought on online shops fifteen Mike Oldfield CD's... including Amarok.

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 10-21-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 20:28

...if you hardly ever listen to his records any more because you cannot stand just how good they are!

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 20:50

...if you are afraid of listening to his (old) albums because you cannot stand just how good they are!
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 23:07

...if you do not dare listen to his albums any more because you cannot stand just how good they are!
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 08:46

You'd think once would have been enough - it was due to an error in my system - but as this hasn't been mentioned before (or has it?) maybe three times is not too much after all?!
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 20:31

I'm not into converting people as such but...

A couple of times now, I've got different musicians into playing some chords, only for them to find when I start playing a melody that I've got them to unwittingly play a MO piece (which then ends in them listening to the album, and sometimes getting hooked on it).

Another favourite of mine is to put it on when I have people round, just at a really low level. Then they slowly start to notice the music and wonder what it is...then I tell them...

Don't know if these are fanatic symptoms though.
Profile PM 
sunjammer Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2001, 17:34

More symptoms of an MO fanatic:

1. You owned TB BEFORE "The Exorcist" was released.

2. You use the words "bidet as it may" in your everyday conversation whenever possible.

3. You were a fan of African drumming before Paul Simon discovered it.

4. You feel that the song "QE2" could have fit in the "Titanic" soundtrack SOMEWHERE.

5. You know Piltdown Man is NOT a myth because after all, he sang on the album.

6. You mention double-speed guitar to your friends and they have no idea what you're talking about.

7. Your 5-CD changer always has at least two MO CD's in it.

8. No matter how much you'd like to see MO become more popular, you'd still like to keep him as your own little secret so he doesn't get over-exposed.

9. You don't think of "Popeye" when you hear "Sailor's Hornpipe".

10. You enjoy making the clerks at the record store search their files to see if there are any new MO releases, just so you can engage them in conversation about his music.

Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 09:00

My sad but true tale:

I became a member of Tubular Forums just so that I could post to this topic. And look where it's put me now.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
sunjammer Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2001, 09:49

And a wonderful topic it is, Tim. There are probably as many symptoms as there are reasons WHY we're all MO fans. I certainly enjoyed reading everyone else's lists, as well as coming up with mine. (Bidet as it may.....)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 18:31

In the LOOOOOOOONG time smile since I left this forum on its own, my Oldfield MP3 collection has grown to 29 files, including two versions of the rare OrigHR LP. I'm NOT going to burn any of 'em. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 08:11

those from TW members :
(...)
- GMOVJ

Does that name mean anything? (sorry but i felt that I had to ask)

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 08:22

Tango-India-Mike's Lesson for Charlie-Hotel-India-Romeo-Hotel-Oscar on the Phonetic Alphabet.

Five Miles Out (or 5 Mike Oscar in abbreviated terms wink) is a song on the album Five Miles Out (well duh!)

During the song, there is a line:

"Calling all stations, this is Golf-Mike-Oscar-Victor-Juliet, IMC..."

Golf-Mike-Oscar-Victor-Juliet = GMOVJ (translation from phonetic alphabet)

Thus GMOVJ is Mike-related as it appears in Five Miles Out. But I'm sure that GMOVJ would have a better explanation themself wink

Lesson ends. Yeah, I didn't have to do it, but it's an Echo-Xray-Charlie-Uniform-Sierra-Echo to Uniform-Sierra-Echo Papa-Hotel-Oscar-November-Echo-Tango-India-Charlie Alpha-Lima-Papa-Hotel-Alpha-Bravo-Echo-Tango. biggrin

-Tango-India-Mike-

What does it mean? Call sign/registration name or something like that I think.
Profile PM WEB 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 08:50

Within the last few weeks:

* I have encoded TBI pt.1+2 in MP3

* I have encoded TBII tr.1-7/8-14 in MP3

* I have encoded TBIII tr. 1-7/8-11 in MP3 (without even knowing if this is the correct set-up!)

* Almost resorted to making a Bell from a paper clip

* Almost bored my father to death explaining the obvious similarity in bassline between TBIpt.1 finale and TBIII(FATC) finale

* Almost bored my father to death explaining the not-as-obvious similarity between the high guitar bit in Opt.1 @ ~14' and the melody (Pn/Gt) in TBIII(M)

* Watched the first 5' of The Exorcist III just to see if TB pops up again

* Upon receiving TBII and TBIII after my father went to Greece (bought in the Hondos Centre appartently), started discussing how that made it more difficult for me to decide which MO album to buy next and whether to go for O or A, or maybe buy something cheaper like HR or Cr

* I actually knew the something like HR or Cr would be cheaper than O and A

* Loads more that I can't quite think of right now

* Added something stupid to a list like this point or the one before it.

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 10:14

In reply to ChiRo
=> Great Mike Owns Virgin's Jewels... ?
huhu... very bad joke...

Well this alphabet makes me remember when i was in the army, in a french air base... we used to talk like that with helicopters and planes... wink

Charlie-Hotel-Echo-Echo-Romeo-Sierra Tango-Oscar Alpha-Lima-Lima, GMOVJ

PS : why did i choose this userID ? hum, maybe for the same reason than 2distorded, Tubularbill, sunjammer or anyone else... wink

PPS : this alphabet was made to ensure communication between ATC and airplanes... because B and P, N and M, A and I, etc. can be phoneticaly very close when you speak through a radio. If you only say 'BP, you're clear to land' and if they are a plane called 'BP' and another 'PP', it can be very dangerous.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 11:52

Conditions to be a MO fan (authentic fan, eh?)

1.- You've got all the albums, you listened to them at least 10 times each one.

2.- You've got a sticker of the Bell on the car, a T-shirt of the Bell too and bells, bells everywhere!

3.- In the Mil. Bell concert, you didn't were all the time seeing Pepsi Demacque ¬¬...

4.- You know the entire life of MO, Terry, Bonnie Tyler, and all the singers related with Mike.

5.- Happy?

6.- You know who's Rainer Müenz ;DDD

7.- You know all the alternative names to albums, songs and singles.

8.- YOU CAN EXPLAIN WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE LYRICS IN SHEBA!!!

9.- R.B. sucks (not?)

10.- Any more?
Profile PM 
70 replies since June 16 2000, 02:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net