[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Symptons of Mike Oldfield Fanatics< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 25 2000, 15:35

Oh, and I've got several more:

1. You browse in lots of garden centres to look for the biggest wind chimes you can possibly find. Spending about £60 on them (that's about 4 full price CDs) just so you can take off the longest tube and use all of your skills to carefully twist it into a 'bell' shape. I had a sudden urge to do this today when I saw one but I knew it was impossible)

2. You can remember the whole of AMAROK in your head, not just bits of it

3. If someone took out all the 'Happy' samples in AMAROK and gave you something to trigger the sample manually you could do it and get it exactly right every time

4. You make it quite difficult for your family because you'd rather be on horseback all the time

5. You've listened to AMAROK so much that you've spotted everything there is to spot in it and decifered most of the African talking section 2 minutes before the end

6. You're still desperate to find an extremely rare SOTDE LP even though you've got the CD and the ECD and a Mac to run it on
Profile PM 
sally Offline

Posted: July 29 2000, 09:08

Originally posted by stig:
Things that i have done that make me an olfield fanatic...

1. If someone starts sentences that can be turned into oldfield lyrics, I complete the sentence...
e.g. "I need you on my side" reply: "when there's a crises"
"you can't stay" reply "your no loser, theres still time to ride that train"

^ I actually do this!! I am sooo sad!

2. I wrote out the entire story from the inside of the amarok booklet and Emailed it to my entire address book.

3. I painted a very large mural of the 'Crises' cover on my wall.

4. I bought Carrie Melbournes album, just because she played bass and stick on the Then and now tour. (its really good though)

5. My Father knows Maddy Prior, as we live close to her (she is the vocalist on Haiawatha), and when I met her I nearly burst into tears.

6. I made minidisc copies of every official oldfield album, and i made two compilations of rare tracks, just so i could listen to them on the move in my walkman. (I even did Earth moving!! ughhhhh)

7. I bought Voyager, Tubular bells 3, guitars and TMB on their day of release.

8. I played 'Muse' for My GSCE Performance exam.

9. I have the tour program for the Tubular Bells 2 20th anniversary tour Framed.

And thats what makes me an Oldfield Fanatic at the tender age of 17 smile

Hello stig
I'm happy I found an also 17 years old MO fan.I read your fanatic-text.It's really good!Especially the idea with the answers in MO language made me laugh.
If you want to write back,go into the forum fans around the world and post a message in "fans around 17".I'm sally. Bye now.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 29 2000, 14:54

...Very soon I'm going to have a Tubular Bell pin made in silver by a friend of mine who's a jewel maker.

Yes,Fox...I'm just an hopeless fan-atic. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2000, 07:32

Cool Ugo !
Where is Pescara ? Who is your friend ? Sell it abraod by internet !!!! I'll buy one !

- I've had my own TB made in copper (covered with chromium) by my plumber !!! 40 cm high ! Sooo happy !

Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2000, 17:23

What did the plumber think of that?

A bit of an odd shape to make a pipe in until you told him what it was for?

Was he converted after that?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2000, 19:19

GMOVJ, I'm afraid I can't sell the pin to you for two reasons...

1) It has yet to be made [It will happen sometime in August... smile]
2) My friend, who lives in Scanno (a small mountain town in the Abruzzo National Park), is a professional jewel maker. He's obviously not used to make TB pins, but he agreed to make one especially for me from a 10-cm-long silver pipe. I don't know if I can convince him to make another one for you!! smile

P.S. Why don't you tell your plumber to make another (smaller) TB for me? Then you can sell it to me!! smile

--------------
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2000, 08:47

First, when i told the plumber "Can you curved very smoothly a pipe to make a sort of cross with it ?" he told me, "Yes, it must be possible, but why do you want that ? You don't need it in your bathroom, I already fixed everything !"
Then I just showed him TB3 cover and backcover, and he told me "Yes i can do that..."... He didn't ask any more question. But He's now thinking that I'm totally nuts !
I don't know if he is convert...

Too bad Ugo, I'll try to find a jewelery who can do this for me wink... And for pipe, I'll ask my plumber... Who knows !!! wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 18 2000, 20:36

When I saw this topic, I was going to add "You've actually made a tubular bell thingy" to the list...but, someone has not only got to mentioning it before me, but has also done it themself (albeit through someone else). I'm still wondering if this act is the ultimate sign of obsession or not wink (no offence guys).
Also if you've noticed that, if written in the right way, the number 4 turned clockwise through about 45 degrees looks suspiciously like THAT object.

I'll think of more sometime wink
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2000, 11:05

Wow, 44444444444444444444444!!!!!!
It sure does look like it, except that the short end is on the worng side.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2000, 16:36

Korgscrew wrote:
I'm still wondering if this act is the ultimate sign of obsession or not ;-) (no offence guys).

Oh no. :-/

I spent virtually the whole of today making a bell out of paper

I specially bought some bright silver enamel spray paint and now I have it sitting next to my comp. (that's computer, not compressor module rack)

It looks more like the bell from TBIII than the original TB

It isn't nearly as big as GMOVJ's one which is made out of copper. Mine's only a 'trial-size' 85mmx90mm

So that doesn't really make me obsessive. My parents didn't think that at all

and I think when I was talking to you last in #mike_oldfield on DALnet you said you made one out of a paper-clip
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2000, 17:01

Posted by GMOVJ
those from TW members :
- 2distortedguitars
<snip>

Back then when I only had 4 of his albums when I registered I thought I should be different this time to a new net community and use a nickname for once

Before I always used my real name. When I registered I wasn't a very big fanatic
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2000, 21:39

Yes, I did make one out of a paper clip...I sometimes end up bending them into different shapes and...it seemed obvious wink

Every now and then I remember that, at the time TB2 came out, some of the record shops had large cutout 'bells' in the window...I've noticed a picture of Rainer Münz (keeper of the big MO discography) holding one...soemtimes I think I could have got one wink

I still think that an extreme fascination with that object is close to being the ultimate sign of obsession wink
Ok, so blowing up pictures (like the Inc cover) to create life sized cut-outs of Mike is probably the ultimate sign of MO fanaticism...has anyone got there yet? wink
Profile PM 
Kara Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2000, 20:15

Looks like I'm not the only one who makes little tubular bells out of paper clips then! Whew! Well now I feel better that I'm not alone here!! wink (Does this mean that I'm a bit obsessed too??!!) Noooo.....
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2000, 18:19

Originally posted by Korgscrew:

[...]
I still think that an extreme fascination with that object is close to being the ultimate sign of obsession wink

Oh, is it, Richard? smile
Well... I use EXCLUSIVELY Hans Claesson wallpapers with that object in 'em on my computer desktop ... my jeweller friend in Scanno is making a pin out of it... and while on holiday, I got a friend of my father's, who used to be a plumber [this friend,not my father... smile], to make me a TB out of a small silver-plated pipe who used to work as a curtain-holder (I don't know if you understand this...).

Does this all mean I'm obsessed?
Well, I don't think so.
I think I'm just madly in love with that wonderful shape!!! biggrin

Oh, by the way: I'll add another symptom of my die-hard MO fanaticism [I hope Olivier forgives me for such a long post... smile]:

As soon as I got back from holydays (i.e. yesterday) I bought the videotape of the Killing Fields movie. I already had the soundtrack CD [of course smile] and I bought the movie even though I knew in advance that I would hate it [and I did!! smile] only to see what use did they make of MO's wonderful music...
...Great use, I must admit...

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 08-28-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2000, 17:26

All these posts are so true, and i admit to doing so many of them!!!! Here are some i've done as well:

1) i became literally obsessed with trying to learn Tubular Bells on the piano
2) my real name is bill. i simply changed bells to bills smile
3) i've explained #2 to all of my friends who (of course) were clueless
4), they're clueless because we're in the USA!!!!
5) i watched "The Exorcist" purely just to hear Tubular Bells. (although i liked the movie too)
6) i played Tubular Bells on the Grand Piano at a talent show at my high school.
7) i've contemplated asking the school's orchestra to play the "Orchestral Tubular Bells"
8) when i was in England for a week, i bought Tubular Bells 3

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2000, 22:04

Of course that doesn't make you obsessed, Ugo...

I liked The Killing Fields...that's just me, though wink

Another sign of being frighteningly close to the edge of obsession...playing MO albums through a PA rig "Just to check everything's ok" (knowing secretly that you just want to hear the sound of it coming out across a large space...)...Now we don't know anyone who does that, do we?...
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2000, 09:56

I guess what I did was similar. My brother turned up at the house a couple of weeks ago with his new competition-standard car stereo. I brought QE2 out just so I could hear those pounding drums in Celt through such a good system.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2000, 12:31

You are an extreme Oldfield fan if:

- You buy a 20 GB hard drive just so you can extract all your rare MP3 files and convert them to WAV files, to be compliled, edited and burned onto a series of over 15 CDRs.

(Of course, living in the US, no one has any clue what the music is or appreciates the long hours I've put in)

- You log well over 96 hours tweaking these files until they sound as perfect as possible before making the final collection.

- You buy a guitar and begin taking lessons just in the chance that you'll be able to one day, play something that sounds similar to parts of Tubular Bells live concerts.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2000, 13:35

Since three days I'm a member of the Amarok Mailing List. I received 14 e-mails and I replied to 12 of 'em!!

Is this another symptom?

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2000, 18:43

You clock up a ridiculously high number of postings in Tubular Forums...
Again, we don't know anyone who's done that, do we?
Profile PM 
70 replies since June 16 2000, 02:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net