Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Symptoms of MO fanatics, part II: MO coincidences< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 26 2001, 18:16

Hi everybody. I found two MO coincidences.

1) In the movie "Small Soldiers", the place where the toys are sold is called The Inner Child. wink smile

2) Olivier told me of a song called Above The Clouds by a group called Amber. Two incomplete titles... wink smile

I'd bet anything that truly obsessed MO fanatics can find many more "coincidences" like these!!! So: if you're REALLY MO-obsessed, COME ON!!! smile smile smile smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2001, 09:35

There's Boeing 747 airplane named Tubular Belle (however it might be named after MO's album but I'm not sure). And I remember a computer game named Tubular World on the 286 (some space shooter).
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2001, 09:48

Hmm...

(don't read too far into this one wink)

NASA spacecraft: Discovery (shuttle), Voyager (probe?)
plus Mike has an asteroid (5656-Oldfield) named after him

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any plans for an Amarok probe to explore the asteroid.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 31 2001, 16:51

Wasn't T-Belles the name of a girls' club is some college movie? Something like Grease's T-Birds? smile smile
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2001, 16:52

The above message is by me...
sorry...mistyped username... smile wink

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 17 2001, 18:31

There's a TV program here in Italy, called "Prima della prima" [Before the premiere], which shows everything that happens in a theatre before an opera premiere: rehearsals, casting, mistakes, etc. The opening credits of this program feature an animation of musical symbols mixed with abstractions. What has all this got to do with Mr. Oldfield? Well...two of the supposedly abstract symbols, one smaller than the other, look suspiciously like Tubular Bells. smile The upper line is not bent, and they have no depth (i.e. they're just lines), but they're very similar to Mike's trademark logo.
Obviously I don't think that I can prove this to anyone, because "Prima della prima" simply doesn't exist outside of Italy frown. But if anyone chances to see it here (it's on Monday nights, RAI 3, about 00:20) he will surely not miss the two small TB-lookalikes, about 45 seconds into the opening credits.

PS: Either I'm becoming so obsessed that I see TBs everywhere, or I'm becoming like Tim Highfield, who saw TBs out of smoky 4's...he knows what I'm talking about. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 17 2001, 19:06

Hehehehehe wink

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 17 2001, 22:36

They did look very like THAT shape though...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 13:49

There´s a World Music group in Spain named 'Amarok', but I think it´s after it was released.

The Alan Parsons Project begin one of their greatest records ('Pyramid') with a small instrumental called 'Voyager'. Their largest instrumental, 'The Fall of The House of Usher' has some parts, one of them called 'Arrival'.

E.L.O.,one of my favourite symphonic rock groups have a great album from 1979 called 'Discovery'.

I don´t remember more but I´ll keep you informed cool.

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 20:56

In case you were wondering:

Enjoy the picture (I had to add the "the picture" bit else the Grammar Nazis accuse me of being American).

Taken from:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/tv_and_radio/newsid_1260000/1260038.stm

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 15:06

JAJAJA biggrin !!

But I´m not sure, Tim...

Doesn´t that smoke look a little like Tubular Bells shape??? rolleyes

Sorry.

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 15:08

JAJAJA biggrin !!

But I´m not sure, Tim...

Doesn´t that smoke look a little like Tubular Bells shape??? rolleyes

Sorry.

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 25 2001, 16:39

I turned on the TV today...an episode of Neighbours (an australian soap opera, for those of you who don't know)...not something I usually pay a great deal of attention to, I have to say wink
Anyway, something caught my eye...a woman was wearing a shirt with a load of abstract patterns all over it...on one side was something that bore an uncanny resemblance to THAT shape - it was even silver-grey and had black ends to it (like a tube...). I think it was just the camera angle hiding a part of the design that would have made it look like something else...but scary nonetheless wink
Profile PM 
feverpitch96 Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 23:19

Definitely a coincidence, korgscrew, I would think; nobody associated with that programme would even know what a tubular bell WAS. )

And surely that photograph has been doctored? smile
Profile PM 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: May 08 2001, 14:12

Last of Daft Punk's album is called "Discovery" (I'm affraid by that xD).

Well, I listened a few days ago a sound module called "Tortured Bells" biggrin but nothing related to MO's music.
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: May 13 2001, 05:28

No, the "smoky fours" picture was not doctored by anyone here - that's how it is on the BBC's Bobsite.

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: May 15 2001, 07:17

You know, on 'All That You Can´t Leave Behind', the last U2 album, there´s one song named 'Peace on Earth', just like on 'Millennium'...

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 14 2001, 18:49

This is something I discovered a minute ago, literally smile. In Irish slang, "Top of the morning (to you)" is a salutation meaning "Good morning" or "Have a nice day", to which you respond with "...and the rest of the day (to yourself)". smile
Did Mike write that piece in the early morning, or maybe at dawn? I don't remember what did he exactly say about it... confused

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 14 2001, 19:04

...and of course there's that famous [at least between some forum members! smile wink] story of that wall & ceiling contractors' firm naming itself Amarok. eek (Check out www.amaroknet.com if you ignore the details of the story). I don't know if the firm name came before, or after, or from Mike's masterpiece. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: June 15 2001, 07:11

AMAROK was formed in 1996...

Definitely after, but the reason for the name could still go either way.

BTW - has anyone thought to write and ask them? hmmm...

[stops to think this one through]

"I'm writing to you on behalf of a number of Mike Oldfield fans ..."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh! eek

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
19 replies since Mar. 26 2001, 18:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net