Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Surfing" :  Sounds and feelings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SHINE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2006, 21:28

One of the tracks I love the most in L & S...
It's a a special one to me for many reasons.
Into this one,I can find a human side into the "voice machine/software" that's "singing"; imho, it gives to the lyrics and the music a sad color and transmits human sensations to the listenners, even if they forget about the lyrics, making them feel emotions like a kind of distress,pain, powerlessness, helplessness, "greyness" (I'm not sure,but maybe I'm creating new english words, I hope you'll excuse me, and will understand what I mean...I'd like to find the right word in english that would perfectly describe what the "sound/voice" makes me feel...  :/ ). To me, it  really sounds more like "falling right into the net" and "can't keep it out of my head" than like "morning and evening I'm flying and dreaming": I sometimes wander if a full human voice would have given the song this dark side that the software effects give to it. I use to prefer a natural voice to a tricked one, but, in this very case...I must say "chapeau" to the software, because it really im presses the voice whith a feeling.

The music in this track, but specially the guitar are giving to me emotions I'm not used to find into Mike's music: This guitar sounds like "before", in the long instrumental pieces, but reading this, you'd think that I dont like new sounds even if I love TSODE or TR3S LUNAS, I don't want to mean that I prefer this kind of sound, or style,no...it's because I'm trying to think about another Mike's solo that would have the same kind of sound to me, and now I can only find a bit of CRISES that starts at 02:55... it's difficult to explain: it is a powerful shout, it sounds to me like a brainquake, it's strongly charged with energy and it's like a strong energy discharge, I can hear the sounds of a great combat, and I can hear the fighters' power, pain and sorrow. It's played with the mind,the heart and the entrails and come to shock mine; it sounds to me like the damage, pain and suffering caused by a bad spirit/force/energy/entity that uses all it's strenght and power, but at the same time it sound as an instrumental healing exorcism that pulls it out of that body where the "beast" lived...

Usually Mike's music, but particulary whith his last works, paints landscapes in my mind, makes me move into my own MVR experience, where I fly into the virtual landscapes that he helps me to create with his music. Generally they are like trips with dimensions, for instance, like the seagull's into the Tr3s Lunas game. The feelings lived during the trip are a piece of it, but not the main thing, they are produced by the musical voyage. Of course, his musics also makes me think and "feel", but imho, his tracks seldom sound to me like "only feeling" or "talk" about them, and this is track the one that describes a feeling, is a feeling.

Well, it's late at night, a good hour for cheap philosophy, and tonight it's hot by here and maybe it has affected my brain, but anyway,  I promise that the bottle next to my PC contains only fresh water    :D

One thing is sure : I like "Surfing" very much, and I can pass hours and hours talking about it (...in spanish or french...as you can see my english is not very good), and I'd like to know about your opinion
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 11 2006, 20:23

my opinon to you...
im your mirror in this case!
Surfing is my favorite vocal song from this album. The way vocaloids is singing gives me the same sad feeling. (i like when they sing surfing in repeat.. "like surfing, like surfing, like surfing....."
Also the guitar plays a huge part in this song. Its like grabbing up the feelings and scream it with the guitar, like MO is good in.
The slow drum sound in the background with the computer voice give me a feeling that someone is really into this. There is nothing more then the net.
I LOVE the part before the solo comes too!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: July 11 2006, 20:26

Quote (SHINE @ July 11 2006, 03:28)
I can only find a bit of CRISES that starts at 02:55... it's difficult to explain: it is a powerful shout, it sounds to me like a brainquake, it's strongly charged with energy and it's like a strong energy discharge,

about that part i think its very close to "no dream" from heavens open...
and i forgot to tell how good you told about your feelings in Surfing. Well said. You told my toughts about Surfing!  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 03:52

Quote (SHINE @ July 10 2006, 21:28)
this is track the one that describes a feeling, is a feeling.

It was interesting to read your thoughts on this song, SHINE. It's one of my favorites, too. I thought part of the sound was reminiscent of Mike's earlier work, and it's been niggling me because I have a hard time pinpointing why. Certainly, the guitar solo (and the bit before it) is moody and powerful. At first, I thought my initial "shocked" reaction was merely because I hadn't expected to hear echoes from the past, but now I realize it's because of the intense emotion it conveys.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 05:36

if im right; i think Mike made a music video for this song but did not release it?
Do anybody know the details?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2007, 02:12

I hadn't heard of a video and I was curious to see what the response would be to your query, Tubularman. Considering the lack of an answer... perhaps you only dreamed about it?  ;)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
5 replies since July 10 2006, 21:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net